Are the 2 Aldo fights the cause for Holloway’s recent “concussion related” issues?

• Thread starter Deleted member 549255
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 549255

We have not seen Max Holloway in the cage since December 2, 2017 (almost one year ago).

There is still no answer as to why Max was pulled from UFC 226 and why Max was dealing with “concussion related” symptoms before pulling out.

I think the two Aldo fights have changed Max for the worse. Although Max won both fights, Max was (incredibly) eating Aldo’s bombs in both fights like they were nothing. The bombs he ate would have hurt and possibly KOd any other FW in the world. He was even rocked in the first fight but recovered well.

Do you think the Aldo fights have taken their toll on Max? If not, what else could be causing these “concussion related” symptoms?

I don't know but watching that interview where he was slurring badly was scary

Wear and tear from the training and fighting, combine that with the rough weight cut he goes through and you’ve got a recipe for early retirement. Max is too tough for his own good, I hope he’s recovered well enough to survive his training camp and make it to the cage.

Who knows, I don't think you can pinpoint one or two specific fights as being the root cause of the issues. These guys are fighters, Max has received hundreds and hundreds of blows to the head in all his fights and sparring sessions. That's gonna cause brain damage, there is simply no way around that.

Max is also one of the biggest weight cutters in the game which certainly does not help things. Takes a serious toll on the body.

Who knows . Im a big fan of both fighters but maybe yeah he was blocking Aldo bombs with his face im both fights especially in the second

btw those 2 fights are so underrated and both of them were absolute wars

Cuts way too much weight for his own good. Can see the commission forcing him up a weight class if this fight fails to come together because he is forced out from weight cutting anymore due to health concerns.

But Aldo pretty much drilled Max to his early retirement.

A lot of it is the weight cut.

Dude is a 170 guy fighting at 145. You see him in the cage with Aldo and Aldo - who's not a tiny 145er - looks a division smaller at least.

Nah...if it came down to damage that Max incurred for the reason he seems "punch drunk" it would be attributed to the Wars he was involved in prior to Aldo. As punishing as Aldo's been, he wasn't able to tee-off on Max during their two fights.

Is there a second issue I don’t know about? Just that one time?

If not then 100% no.

Who knows . Im a big fan of both fighters but maybe yeah he was blocking Aldo bombs with his face im both fights especially in the second

btw those 2 fights are so underrated and both of them were absolute wars
yeah both were amazing.....very underappreciated

Also that bro down ending against Ricardo Lamas. I think he's an all timer if the concussion symptoms are not as bad as they look, I hope

im still under the impression his team tried to throw him into his last fight week with a concussion
but im not a doctor bro {<shrug}

He speaks like that on fight week because he's cutting as much weight as Darren Till dude he looks like a skeleton.

I resent the subtext of this thread that is trying to ascribe credit for something like that.

I love Aldo, but he lost to Max twice and trying to push some kind of narrative that he "changed" max with the shots he landed as some kind of consolation prize is poor. You shouldn't relish health issues, even if it takes place on fighters who beat your favorites.

Nope the fact he cuts like 50 lbs may have a little something to do with it lo

I don't know but watching that interview where he was slurring badly was scary

Sure was, he looked punch drunk if that's even a thing. It's a good thing they didn't let him fight.

IDK but it's definitely not good, he seems off to me.

Sure was, he looked punch drunk if that's even a thing. It's a good thing they didn't let him fight.
Yep. His team stopped him from fighting. I can't but wonder how many fighters have a team around them who profit from the fighter fighting who would have done the same thing

I don't think we as fans understand that these head injuries don't heal within a few months. I think it is pretty awful he is fighting Ortega soon.

Back