Karate based kickboxers?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Are there fighters in the UFC who use a karate based kickboxing?

I know Stephen Thompson but what about others?

GSP
Whittaker
Sage
Uriah Hall
Michelle Waterson

Karate is the most beautiful style to watch IMO

GSP
Whittaker
Sage
Uriah Hall
Michelle Waterson

Whittaker's not a pure karate style but his striking his beautiful to watch. One of the few fighters who actually knows how to implement a jab and is an absolute master at kick-punch combinations.

Michael Page has something similar to a karate-kickboxing style, but it has only worked against bums thus far.

Darren Till. Everyone says he's a Muay Thai fighter for some reason, but he isn't.
His stance is almost the same as Machida's and his movement is a lot more Karate than MT.

ieslqYM.jpg

shogun-vs-lyoto-posture.png

CM Punk.
Not trolling i mean for serious.

GSP
Whittaker
Sage
Uriah Hall
Michelle Waterson

I agree with you. I have always loved the style of Bill Wallace and don Wilson. It's amazing how Dana talks so much shit about them and saying how horrible full contact karate is.

Like I get it had it's problem but it was beautiful to see karate embracing boxing.

Darren Till. Everyone says he's a Muay Thai fighter for some reason
Because he literally comes from MT. He competed in FMT and had something like a 40-0 amateur record. IIRC some of his bouts are on YT, they are like 6 or 7 years old.
Yes, he adapted his stance to MMA because that's the right thing to do in order to avoid being taken down, but he's still a MT fighter and considers himself one.

Are there fighters in the UFC who use a karate based kickboxing?

I know Stephen Thompson but what about others?

I'm no expert, but to my knowledge, every kickboxer is karate based, cause kickboxing comes from karate.

I'm no expert, but to my knowledge, every kickboxer is karate based, cause kickboxing comes from karate.

Thai kickboxing has no roots in karate and that was the style used in early to mid 2000s. During those times karate and tkd were frowned upon. Hell even boxing was no good until Jens pulver made it effective in the octagon.

Tarec Saffiedine retired but is karate based.
Gunnar Nelson

Michael Page has something similar to a karate-kickboxing style, but it has only worked against bums thus far.
I love watching his fights, but damn, when is he going to step it up?

Not in the UFC and is deceased buuut...Andy Hug was a beast Karate guy.

Not in the UFC and is deceased buuut...Andy Hug was a beast Karate guy.

The fact that he used a spinning back kick TO THE LEGS as a consistent form of attack and stopped a guy has always baffled me.

Back