Phil Davis may be the proof of the UFC brand power

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Back when PRIDE was around, or even Strikeforce was around, personally for me was really fighter oriented. What I mean by that is what I was going for were really the fighters, not necessarily where they were fighting at, though PRIDE obviously was better than UFC, the same sentiment of which is also shared by Anderson Silva, the fighter whom the UFC has been trying to advertise as the greatest of all time.

Phil Davis is a top light heavyweight, who could have easily been in the title picture if he didn't decide to leave the UFC for Bellator. He just lost in Bellator to an up and coming Russian fighter in Nemkov, and not a single fuck seems to be given here.

Maybe, at this day and age, the UFC have become so popular nowadays, that everything else feels like a minor league, almost like how some fans might only pay attention to what's going around in NBA or MLB, when it comes to such sports, though it's not really the same in MMA or with UFC, with PRIDE having had better talents, Strikeforce with better heavyweight and arguablly equally tough middleweight divisions, and even now Bellator's WW and MW and LHW and HW,s top fighters likely giving anyone run for their money outside likely Jon Jones, who's just a special fighter.

Maybe in another ten years, maybe UFC will really be like NBAs or MLBs, and people might really buy whatever BS the UFC is trying to sell you, or so called MMA- journalists.

Yes. There is too much UFC bias. Davis is a top notch fighter. Better than OSP.

Oezdemir got a title shot with a win over OSP, Cirkunov and Manuwa. No one gives a shit about Nemkov but if this happened in the UFC, people would be clamoring for him to get a shot.

This is why I stand by Bellator being merged with the UFC in the main section of the forum. Too many uneducated fans buying the UFC hype.

Last edited:
It's been like that for a while.

Dumb ass casuals didn't think the Strikeforce guys would do well in the UFC (becuz didnt fite in UFC, bro). Same with WEC. The funniest thing is there was a streak at LW for years where every fighter that came from a different org would win the title.

Last edited:
Phil is a fine fighter but most of the time he would face elite competition, he would lose.

Rashad came out and dominated him using wrestling of all things, and exposed how far behind Phil was at that level. His next step up in competition was Rumble, and that fight one as one sided BEATING.

His last fight in the UFC was a loss against Bader and was absolutely tedious to watch.

So we know Phil was one full rung down the ladder from the top guys, and would likely go 50/50 against the second tier of top 10 fighters like Bader. Compounding things is he had plenty of stinkers.

The 205 division is generally a barren wasteland and Davis is a competent fighter. Under no circumstances was he then, or now, the level of a 'title picture' guys. The title picture fighters are head-and-shoulders better than Davis.

Phil is a fine fighter but most of the time he would face elite competition, he would lose.

Rashad came out and dominated him using wrestling of all things, and exposed how far behind Phil was at that level. His next step up in competition was Rumble, and that fight one as one sided BEATING.

His last fight in the UFC was a loss against Bader and was absolutely tedious to watch.

So we know Phil was one full rung down the ladder from the top guys, and would likely go 50/50 against the second tier of top 10 fighters like Bader. Compounding things is he had plenty of stinkers.

The 205 division is generally a barren wasteland and Davis is a competent fighter. Under no circumstances was he then, or now, the level of a 'title picture' guys. The title picture fighters are head-and-shoulders better than Davis.

You do realize when Bader was in the UFC he was usually the number one or two contender in the rankings but never got that title shot because he was not a popular fighter. Behind DC and Jones he was argually the next best fighter for a long time at LHW. I would not consider him a second tier fighter.

You seem way off base about the skill level of the LHW division. Davis was top 5 when he left and he was absolutely in the title picture as was Bader.

You do realize when Bader was in the UFC he was usually the number one or two contender in the rankings but never got that title shot because he was not a popular fighter. Behind DC and Jones he was argually the next best fighter for a long time at LHW. I would not consider him a second tier fighter.

Agreed, and Davis was around the same level as Bader, I don't get why that guy thinks the LHW division is so much better than it is.

DC, Jones and Gus are much better than the rest but saying that guys in the top 5 aren't in the title picture just seems crazy to me.

The title picture fighters are head-and-shoulders better than Davis.

Yeah, all three of them. Aside from Jones/DC/Gus I don't see anyone in the light heavyweight division who is "head-and-shoulders" above Davis or Bader. And DC isn't even fighting in the division anymore.

Phil Davis is a top light heavyweight, who could have easily been in the title picture if he didn't decide to leave the UFC for Bellator. He just lost in Bellator to an up and coming Russian fighter in Nemkov, and not a single fuck seems to be given here.

What are you even talking about?

He is a top lightheavyweight and could have competed for titles but he ruined his career by going to Bellator where he lost to no name guys? Huh? The second part of that idea invalidates the first... if he's losing to those guys he is therefore not a top LHW.

What are you even talking about?

He is a top lightheavyweight and could have competed for titles but he ruined his career by going to Bellator where he lost to no name guys? Huh? The second part of that idea invalidates the first... if he's losing to those guys he is therefore not a top LHW.

lol, this thread is about you(and people like you) and your perception of MMA fighters outside the UFC.

Good job proving the TS' point.

Yeah, all three of them. Aside from Jones/DC/Gus I don't see anyone in the light heavyweight division who is "head-and-shoulders" above Davis or Bader. And DC isn't even fighting in the division anymore.
Davis even beat Gus

lol, this thread is about you(and people like you) and your perception of MMA fighters outside the UFC.

Good job proving the TS' point.

I am still confused

TS point is self-contradicting

Also who are people like me? What does that mean?

I am still confused

TS point is self-contradicting

Also who are people like me? What does that mean?

Read the OP.

TS point is not self-contradicting, you are the type of person he is talking about in the OP, someone that assumes a fighter isn't good because of where they fight rather than actually watching them fight and then forming an opinion on how good they are. Nemkov would easily be top 10 in the UFC and probably would be top 5.

Phil is a good fighter just not very fun to watch. Has some decent wins, but not a lot of memorable performances. At this point his best days are probably behind him.

Very good defensively, never been finished in 25 fights. Him and DC are the only guys to not get flatlined by Rumble at LHW.

You seem way off base about the skill level of the LHW division. Davis was top 5 when he left and he was absolutely in the title picture as was Bader.

The best guys mop the floor with the guys who mop the floor with Phil Davis.

He's a very competent fighter but his best career win is an over the hill Glover, otherwise he's come up short.

To be clear there is nothing wrong with being a solid top 10 fighter, but he's not in title contention. Jones and DC would absolutely run through him, worse than Rashad and Rumble did. Those are not competitive fights in my humble opinion.

We've already seen what happens when Bader gets a step up in competition, he gets stopped spectacularly and in short order.

Are we living in a world where Rumble didn't summarily beat him to sleep without breaking a sweat?

Machida?

TITO ORTIZ PUT HIM AWAY.

For crying out loud I can play a highlight of Bader getting quickly put away.

He's a very competent fighter but his best career win is an over the hill Glover, otherwise he's come up short.

To be clear there is nothing wrong with being a solid top 10 fighter, but he's not in title contention. Jones and DC would absolutely run through him, worse than Rashad and Rumble did. Those are not competitive fights in my humble opinion.

We've already seen what happens when Bader gets a step up in competition, he gets stopped spectacularly and in short order.

You're talking about like 3 guys as if they are 6 or more. Other than DC, Jones and Rumble who would mop the floor with Davis when he left till now? Bader beat him twice but he didn't mop the floor with him and Davis beat Gus and DC is likely not coming back to LHW and Rumble is retired.

Davis and Bader would be the rightful favorites over Volkan and Smith and they were/are top 5.

The LHW division is much worse than you are acting like it is, the depth that you are pretending is there isn't.

Davis even beat Gus
In 2010. Hardly worth talking about.

Davis is where he should be. He is a talented, but boring fighter with a relatively low ceiling. He just stopped getting better and the division mainly passed him up. His last quality wins are over a headhunting Glover and a contentious decision over Machida.
Hell, if anything Bader's success in Bellator speaks volumes for their quality. He goes from getting flattened or underperforming against everyone (save Little Nog), to finishing guys left and right and looking like a monster.

In 2010. Hardly worth talking about.

Davis is where he should be. He is a talented, but boring fighter with a relatively low ceiling. He just stopped getting better and the division mainly passed him up. His last quality wins are over a headhunting Glover and a contentious decision over Machida.
Hell, if anything Bader's success in Bellator speaks volumes for their quality. He goes from getting flattened or underperforming against everyone (save Little Nog), to finishing guys left and right and looking like a monster.

Shillbo Baggins over here

Bader left UFC winner of 7 of 8 and knocked out his last two on the way out.

He’s finished 2 of his 4 Bellator fights. Which is in line with his finish rate and not some sudden aberration caused by not fighting in the big bad UFC.

Bader and Davis were both top 5 and you act like they were in limbo and somehow unworthy. Bader is number 3 at the lowest as of today.

As for Gus, everybody always talks about the date Phil easily finished him as if it means anything but he still hasn’t beat anybody as good as Phil Davis since then.

The OP is correct. So much power in branding. People don’t acknowledge the high density of cans and over the hill fighters on their 30th prelim fight in the UFC where the top 10 gets fat on. How some no name who hasn’t beat anybody is all of a sudden top 30 by virtue of winning a fight under the UFC banner. Regardless of his opponent.

Last edited:

Davis beat Machida, a former LHW champ and Gus the guy who is about to fight for Jones leading to a title.

If Gus beats Jones, Davis would have wins over 2 UFC LHW champs.

How is this not a big deal?

Yes he is boring as fuck but still should be considered a top 5 LHW

Back