Does trash talk really pay off in the long run?

emema

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In terms of longevity, does trash talk really pay off for a fighter’s legacy? Take Conor for example, yea he made his millions (most of which came from another sport) but that wasn’t enough. He came back to fight in MMA for a lot less. Why? For legacy and competition. However because of all that trash talk, as soon as he took a beating, his entire stock collapsed. Everyone turns on him.

Now lets look at respectful fighters like Fedor, GSP, and DC. You don’t see the same level of backlash from the fans when they lost. Why? Because they show much more class and try harder to live up to the martial art standards of respect and humility. In terms of legacy, they will always come out on top.

Thoughts?

You’re saying conor is no longer relevant or of interest? If so, you are wrong. Obviously.

As long as it’s genuine. I hate it when two fighters supposedly hate each other, then find out that they were just trying to “sell” the fight. This ain’t the WWE no matter what Dana and co. want

Chael doesn't still get big fights because of his record. There's not many guys like him but in general a unique personality can keep you going longer.

Not a good reasoning my man.

Conor has not been around as long or accomplished as much as the other guys you named. Nothing to do with trash talk

Yes. Yes it does.

1: creates drama in the moment which sells.

2: allows for rematches with high sell rate as well regardless of 1st fights outcome. (Which conor will get)

3: no one goes around talking about "remember when GSP volunteered at that canadian school for metally hadicapped kids"

But they are still remembering chael talking crazy shit about brazil and anderson.

They are still remembering colby doing the same.

My point is either be fucking unstoppable
Or be a douche. That is all people will remember.

Last edited:
In terms of longevity, does trash talk really pay off for a fighter’s legacy? Take Conor for example, yea he made his millions (most of which came from another sport) but that wasn’t enough. He came back to fight in MMA for a lot less. Why? For legacy and competition. However because of all that trash talk, as soon as he took a beating, his entire stock collapsed. Everyone turns on him.

Now lets look at respectful fighters like Fedor, GSP, and DC. You don’t see the same level of backlash from the fans when they lost. Why? Because they show much more class and try harder to live up to the martial art standards of respect and humility. In terms of legacy, they will always come out on top.

Thoughts?

Really dumb thread

Conor’s trash talk generated the biggest buyrates in UFC history. His next fight after a bad loss will still generate more revenue than GSP or Fedor’s next fight. You can even consider GSP or Fedor better overall mixed martial artists than Conor, and guess what, it means shit! Conor is still bigger than them because of trash talk

Trash talking is good for amplifying visibility. But it can also hurt you big time if you don't live up to the billing.

If you're looking to establish a legacy, winning is ultimately most important. But if you want to be a controversial figure that gets a lot of attention, trash talking is the way to go. I would say Chael is the one exception, but even he backed his talk up enough to get notoriety.

You’re saying conor is no longer relevant or of interest? If so, you are wrong. Obviously.
Not saying that. Just long term I don’t think people will remember him as a great fighter. That’s just my opinion. And it has to do with his immense level of trash talk that backfired . When you talk so much shit and get dominated like that it really fucks up your legacy.

As long as it’s genuine. I hate it when two fighters supposedly hate each other, then find out that they were just trying to “sell” the fight. This ain’t the WWE no matter what Dana and co. want

Not saying that. Just long term I don’t think people will remember him as a great fighter. That’s just my opinion. And it has to do with his immense level of trash talk that backfired . When you talk so much shit and get dominated like that it really fucks up your legacy.
Getting dominated fucks up your legacy. But he’ll be remembered a lot more than less interesting fighters with even accomplishments that are close.

However because of all that trash talk, as soon as he took a beating, his entire stock collapsed. Everyone turns on him.
Ah yes, that's why McGregor vs Diaz 2 sold less than the first fight. That's why he didn't fight Mayweather after that and break records.

Your thread is bad.

Getting dominated fucks up your legacy. But he’ll be remembered a lot more than less interesting fighters with even accomplishments that are better
Fixed

Guess some people here don’t understand what the word legacy means in terms of MMA. They equate legacy with PPV buys. Quite sad.

Not when it comes to Colby Covington type of trash talk, but in general I think it pays.

Thoughts?
I like respectful fighters.
I can laugh at some good-sport trash talk (like Sonnen did).
But what you see from Ronda, Conor, Colby and plenty others are flat out disrespect.
That's not trash talk at all, and that's why people turn on them.
People allow anything from "winners" but the second they lose, no one forgives that shit anymore.

I like respectful fighters.
I can laugh at some good-sport trash talk (like Sonnen did).
But what you see from Ronda, Conor, Colby and plenty others are flat out disrespect.
That's not trash talk at all, and that's why people turn on them.
People allow anything from "winners" but the second they lose, no one forgives that shit anymore.
Its a formula.

Talk heavy trash. Be disrepectful as all fuck.

People will pay to want to see you get your ass kicked.

The most sucessful folks have followed this formula.

Now if you talk crazy shit but lose right away your just an ass. Winning a couple while talking crazy shit magnifies the formula.

this thread wont pay off in the long run.

Back