Double-Title Fights?

Matthew Fedler

Professional Fighter
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Championships exist within a strange grey area between promotions and athletic commissions. On the one hand the UFC can seemingly strip or appoint champions as they see fit. While on the other hand the commissions seem to have oversight when it comes to what constitutes a championship fight, specifically surrounding the weight allowance.

This was most evident when Iaquinta didn’t make championship weight for UFC 223, but Dana still insisted that he would be the LW champion if he were to win. It seems he wouldn’t technically have been able to win the title in the fight, but outside of that event the UFC would have the discretion to simply appoint him the champion. Obviously there is a need for some clarification here.

Sometimes it feels like the rules are made up as we go, for instance we have seen half-title fights like Romero vs Rockhold. So could the UFC make double-title fights as well?

Specifically Dillashaw vs Cejudo, where the fight will apparently take place at Flyweight despite the division reportedly being scrapped. We both know Cejudo and TJ can make 135, but there is a question about Dillashaw getting down to 125. If they were to weigh in at 125 lbs, what is stopping the UFC from also putting the Bantamweight belt on the line? It might technically have to be a promotional decision outside of the fight (like Iaquinta would have been) to strip TJ and appoint Cejudo (if he were to win).

It could also apply to fights like Whittaker vs Woodley, or Cormier vs Jones III—where both heavier champions have fought at the lower weight class in the past.

It just seems like the only reasonable explanation for Dillashaw vs Cejudo to happen at 125 lbs at this point.

Thoughts?

As long as someones getting punched in the face, I could care less about the charades

Someone already asked this dumb question

At 125 limit you’re no longer in bw (135) zone.

It’s either one or the other

They could decide to meet at 130, but then only bw title would be in the line

Right now the titles dont really matter. One of the best business decisions the ufc can make right now would be to solidify a real rankings system and to make the belts mean something again.

Someone already asked this dumb question

At 125 limit you’re no longer in bw (135) zone.

It’s either one or the other

They could decide to meet at 130, but then only bw title would be in the line

Yep, it's like how Hendo had to fatten up to 206 or 207 or whatever to fight Fedor. Weight classes are a range, not a maximum.

If Cejudo beats TJ @ 125, does that mean he can beat him at 135? That's the main question here

I think Cejudo has a much better chance of winning at 125 but very little chance at 135

125lb is then 1lb outside of Bantamweight jurisdiction if you will.

So no, they can't.

Championships exist within a strange grey area between promotions and athletic commissions. On the one hand the UFC can seemingly strip or appoint champions as they see fit. While on the other hand the commissions seem to have oversight when it comes to what constitutes a championship fight, specifically surrounding the weight allowance.

This was most evident when Iaquinta didn’t make championship weight for UFC 223, but Dana still insisted that he would be the LW champion if he were to win. It seems he wouldn’t technically have been able to win the title in the fight, but outside of that event the UFC would have the discretion to simply appoint him the champion. Obviously there is a need for some clarification here.

Sometimes it feels like the rules are made up as we go, for instance we have seen half-title fights like Romero vs Rockhold. So could the UFC make double-title fights as well?

Specifically Dillashaw vs Cejudo, where the fight will apparently take place at Flyweight despite the division reportedly being scrapped. We both know Cejudo and TJ can make 135, but there is a question about Dillashaw getting down to 125. If they were to weigh in at 125 lbs, what is stopping the UFC from also putting the Bantamweight belt on the line? It might technically have to be a promotional decision outside of the fight (like Iaquinta would have been) to strip TJ and appoint Cejudo (if he were to win).

It could also apply to fights like Whittaker vs Woodley, or Cormier vs Jones III—where both heavier champions have fought at the lower weight class in the past.

It just seems like the only reasonable explanation for Dillashaw vs Cejudo to happen at 125 lbs at this point.

Thoughts?
I actually really like the idea. Imagine DC/Jones 3 for both the HW and LHW titles. The issue is what if this happens:

1. Jones beats DC for both HW and LHW titles.
2. Woodley vs. Khabib at WW with the LW and WW titles on the line. Woodley wins.
3. Whittaker vs. Woodley at MW for MW, WW, and LW titles. Whittaker wins.
4. Jones fights Whittaker at LHW. The LHW, HW, MW, WW, and LW titles are on the line. Jones wins and is now also the LW champ lol. How would even defend that? The contenders would have to go to 205 to fight him.

You know the UFC would abuse this and we'd have Brock Lesnar as the WSW champ somehow haha.

They could definitely make TJ vs Cejudo a double title fight, both weigh in at 125 then step off the scale drink a little water and immediately weigh in at 126, both titles on the line.

Weight classes and Championship belts are for the birds. I'm just here for the fights at this point.

<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

the biggest promotion in the world has basically abandoned using a ranking system and only relies on putting champs against fighters that put asses in the seats. be it due to technical ability, trash talk or being a fan favourite the result is the same, you just have to be a standout in some way to get a title shot.

Thoughts?

This thread is exactly why people who know nothing about MMA or newbs like you should not be allowed to start threads on Sherdog. Do you even UFC? Just kidding, Matt. Good luck on your next fight and thanks for sharing.

So... let's say if two dual-champions collide what happens then? 4-divisions champion?

Yes, they could officially unofficially make it for both belts, even if they cannot make it officially official.

But that’s not the point. The point is for 125 to go out with a bang. IMO of course. And force two contenders at 135 to fight for the chance at low(er) pay.

I’d prefer they just have champs fight contenders in their own damn division. I look forward to when this silly trend ends.

I actually really like the idea. Imagine DC/Jones 3 for both the HW and LHW titles. The issue is what if this happens:

2. Woodley vs. Khabib at WW with the LW and WW titles on the line. Woodley wins.
4. Jones fights Whittaker at LHW. The LHW, HW, MW, WW, and LW titles are on the line. Jones wins and is now also the LW champ lol. How would even defend that? The contenders would have to go to 205 to fight him.

You know the UFC would abuse this and we'd have Brock Lesnar as the WSW champ somehow haha.
Theoretically it would only happen when the heavier champion is actually able to compete in the smaller weight class. We know DC can make 205 and Whittaker can make 170 because they have in the past. We will find out if TJ can make 125, but I doubt Woodley makes 155 or Jones makes 185.

the biggest promotion in the world has basically abandoned using a ranking system and only relies on putting champs against fighters that put asses in the seats. be it due to technical ability, trash talk or being a fan favourite the result is the same, you just have to be a standout in some way to get a title shot.

The ranking system was shit in the first place. Outside of Andreas Hale, I've never heard of any of the people that they use to compile their rankings. Most of the better known MMA journalists refused to participate. Like the Reebok deal, the rankings are superficial bullshit meant to make the promotion more respectable but, if anything, they actually do more harm than good.

TS makes an interesting point. However, I'll just add that it's unclear whether subsequent athletic commissions would recognize champions appointed in this manner. In an interview regarding the potential Iaquinta champion status, the NYSAC Executive Director said:

"the promotion owns the belt. If Dana chooses to give him that belt, I cannot officially record him as the 155-pound champion. But I also can’t say Dana can’t give him that belt. That’s Dana’s belt. But when he goes to fight or defend that belt in another jurisdiction, that’s when we’re going to come across the issue of: Is he really (the champion)? Is he not? Are they going to certify him? That’s a bridge we’re going to have to cross when we get there. Right now I cannot certify him to fight for that belt. He’s not a lightweight.”"

TS makes an interesting point. However, I'll just add that it's unclear whether subsequent athletic commissions would recognize champions appointed in this manner. In an interview regarding the potential Iaquinta champion status, the NYSAC Executive Director said:

"the promotion owns the belt. If Dana chooses to give him that belt, I cannot officially record him as the 155-pound champion. But I also can’t say Dana can’t give him that belt. That’s Dana’s belt. But when he goes to fight or defend that belt in another jurisdiction, that’s when we’re going to come across the issue of: Is he really (the champion)? Is he not? Are they going to certify him? That’s a bridge we’re going to have to cross when we get there. Right now I cannot certify him to fight for that belt. He’s not a lightweight.”"
Personally I think the belts/championships are essentially marketing tools and should be at the discretion of the promoter. Especially now that non-title fights can be 5 rounds. The fight contracts can specify weight classes and allowances, and the UFC could still enforce the current rules with some rare exceptions for short notice fill-ins.

You couldn’t have lighter weights than they weighed in at on the line, since they’d be over the weight limit.

But heavier weights you could since the weigh in is a MAXIMUM weight not minimum.

Back