Ponzinibbio vs Larkin rematch - who would've won?

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
Larkin completely schooled Ponzinibbio with his versatile and sharp attacks.
Santiago was helpless.
That was a manifest of one striker being much much better than another, hands down.

What would have happened today?
Santiago is a great striker, but Larkin is STILL more versatile and unorthodox IMO.
Maybe Larkin's chin deteriorated? But chin has never been his strong point, he got KTFO quite a lot. Still Santiago couldn't do it.

Larkin is lower in the ratings, because he lost to Lima and Paul Daley. That's understandable.
But styles still make fights.

So what do you say?

You said it

Styles make fights and Larkinz style beats Poz

Poz beats daly (ground game just good enough to do so) and loses to Lima

Ponzi got better, Larkin got worse.
Ponzi wins!

Ponzi is more patient now picks his shots and he has power in both hands and kicks pretty well. He wins.

Ponzi is more patient now picks his shots and he has power in both hands and kicks pretty well. He wins.

I think he was patient with Larkin as well.
But Larkin was never in a distance Ponzinibbio could've harmed him. He picked Santiago apart from his range

Larkin heading to Bellator was one helluva stupid decision. He schooled Magny in a worse way than Ponzi and was on a crazy roll.

Larkin heading to Bellator was one helluva stupid decision. He schooled Magny in a worse way than Ponzi and was on a crazy roll.

We have to respect Lorenzo Larkin for his decision though

He gets exactly the same money from Bellator, 40K to show.
So I believe the real difference is this:

upload_2018-11-19_9-41-16.png

Larkin completely schooled Ponzinibbio with his versatile and sharp attacks.
Santiago was helpless.
That was a manifest of one striker being much much better than another, hands down.

What would have happened today?
Santiago is a great striker, but Larkin is STILL more versatile and unorthodox IMO.
Maybe Larkin's chin deteriorated? But chin has never been his strong point, he got KTFO quite a lot. Still Santiago couldn't do it.

Larkin is lower in the ratings, because he lost to Lima and Paul Daley. That's understandable.
But styles still make fights.

So what do you say?
If Larkin beat him once, I don't see why he can't do it again.

You said it

Styles make fights and Larkinz style beats Poz

Poz beats daly (ground game just good enough to do so) and loses to Lima

I think larkin beats Daley 9 tines out of 10. Larkin is on another level, he got caught, Daley can catch people...

Larkin in my opinion was one of the biggest talents at 170lbs and easily had what it took to beat guys like Woodley, Colby and Usman. His career was filled with very bad decisions and he always struck me as mentally weak but his technique and athleticism was unreal. A lot of championship level talents careers never pan out.

UFC was on a hot streak of letting quality WW's go

I think larkin beats Daley 9 tines out of 10. Larkin is on another level, he got caught, Daley can catch people...

Larkin in my opinion was one of the biggest talents at 170lbs and easily had what it took to beat guys like Woodley, Colby and Usman. His career was filled with very bad decisions and he always struck me as mentally weak but his technique and athleticism was unreal. A lot of championship level talents careers never pan out.

Yep, his only fight at 170 that was not a fluke or robbery was Lima.
Lima did really make an awesome job of outstriking Larkin punch to punch. One of the best hookers in the sport (no pun intended...oh wait)

That was the first time for me that Lima proved he's not just Askren's punching bag

Ponz doesn't have great striking. He has the flaw of the most mma fighters. He can't strike and move at the same time. When he does his whole foot work thing in the beginning of the fight. He can't attack efficiently and that footwork disappears as the fight progresses.
Larkin has quite a few amateur striking bouts. He is a much more fluid striker and that allows him to play around. He is better than most MMA guys but he isn't the best.

Ponz doesn't have great striking. He has the flaw of the most mma fighters. He can't strike and move at the same time. When he does his whole foot work thing in the beginning of the fight. He can't attack efficiently and that footwork disappears as the fight progresses.
Larkin has quite a few amateur striking bouts. He is a much more fluid striker and that allows him to play around. He is better than most MMA guys but he isn't the best.

Yep. Lawler fight was similar for Larkin. Very similar.

I remember Costa-Larkin fight and Costa being a huge underdog. But Costa, despite being much less versatile striker than Larkin (or Ponzinibbio, for example) had one feature that probably was his talent.
He was VERY ACCURATE. He had great landing success in all of his fights. And his punches were always heavy.
IIRC, one punch was enough for Larkin. Indeed he could've been better.

i like larkin, hes just inconsistent. he looked good his last fight.

Well put man. I totally agree, the only thing I feel Larkin was missing was mental strength. I was rooting for Albert Tumenov when they fought but felt Larkin deserved to win that one by a mile. I think he would still beat Ponzi at this point.

Larkin beats him again. By decision this time

Nothing Ponzi showed against Magny or Perry makes me think he can beat Larkin

Back