How much stamina does clinching consume?

Espresso

Post USADA era will make UFC great again
@Silver
Reaction score
How tiring is it to hold someone with a good clinch?

Ive heard being on someone's clinch, drains alot of stamina.... but what about the other way around?

Sorry, i dont train UFC so i wouldnt know

Well I'd say bout tree fiddy

How tiring is it to hold someone with a good clinch?

Ive heard being on someone's clinch, drains alot of stamina.... but what about the other way around?

Sorry, i dont train UFC so i wouldnt know

wtf

tumblr_newyuuJxk51tt9lf5o1_400.gif

I guess it would depend on the location in the octagon

If you are riding the cage it would be less consuming than in the middle of the cage

Depends on the person. Some people are more comfortable in clinch positions than others.

When I was doing Muay Thai in Phuket the sessions were around 2-2 and a half hours. In that 30 minutes of clinch work that was the hardest for most of us, especially when you're learning.

It depends on the grappling levels. If someone is good at grappling, they are able to exploit tiny weight balancing mistakes to threaten to off balance their opponent. The opponent has to spend large amounts of energy to counter back to a neutral position.
It's like playing blitz chess. One person pressures using little time and the other has to use a lot of time thinking of a way to keep things even. Eventually, they run out of time. Only with grappling, it's energy rather than time.

From my MT experience, it consumes a lot.
You get way more tired after 5 minutes of clinch training than 15 of sparing on full.

Regardless of clinching or being clinched both fighters are disputing a thug of war the whole time, the good side is that it's not just you who's getting weaker.

If you have the underhooks, you should have dominant position and therefore be able to dictate where the fight goes and by extension control your cardio which you can adjust accordingly. But it’s still a grind and tbh looks super exhausting. Guys like DC dig their head in your face which adds to the exhaustion

Depends on the person. Some people are more comfortable in clinch positions than others.

It also depends on the opponent.

If he is insanely strong, you are probably better staying at distance. Get in the clinch with a prime Coleman/Randleman/Kerr type and you’ll be on your ass.

It drains you rapidly if you don't know what you're doing, and not breathing properly. When you know how to chill and explode at the right times, it won't gas you.

Back