Is being a top UFC fighter currently more about being an expert weight cutter than actual skill?

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
With discussion currently about whether the UFC will eventually adopt ONE FC weight cutting rules ( test hydration levels) the question arises. With the current system, how much of being a top level fighter is actually about ability to cut weight more than skills and abilities as a fighter?

Aside from HW, how many current UFC champions are there because they are expert weight cutters more than any other attribute? Yes they may be skilled but with the proper weight cut measures where you cant really weigh more than around 7.5 or maybe 10 pounds over on fight night, how many top guys would make weight in their current divisions and be able to compete at the top if forced to fight a higher weight class?

I use Khabib as an example currently. Dude almost died trying to cut weight one time. Would he even he champ if forced to fight at ww, or if he had to actually lose weight and musle mass to fight at lw which he would gave to if they made fighters weigh in hydrated?

I use Tito as a past example. Made an early career fighting smaller guys at mw (or later fighting older has been guys) when he shouldve been in a higher weightclass.

Not really, with lots of guys going up a weight class and being successful, I'd say the sport is taking steps in the right direction.

Probably the most extreme size-advantage champion right now is Holloway.

I think weight cutting is a necessary evil as it keeps fighters motivated but they really do need to start putting some limits on how much can be cut.

You don't get to be a top fighter without having skill.
Being the bigger fighter in the cage certainly doesn't hurt, either, but I wouldn't say it helps more than skill does.

I don't care what anyone says extreme weight cutting is for cowards. Frankie Edgar is one of the few brave ones. He actually weighed 155 in the cage and didn't cut anything.

With discussion currently about whether the UFC will eventually adopt ONE FC weight cutting rules ( test hydration levels)
Like Luke Thomas recently pointed out... ONE FC is self-regulated, which basically means they are an unregulated fighting organization. They are the top authority in all situations. And, this includes, like Cuck Luke pointed out... the fact that the organization doesn't release any numbers on anything. There is no official weigh-in at ONE FC.

They can be using digital scales with no batteries in them and announcing bogus weights....

'Testing Hydration Levels'.... A lot of bullshit just to make people feel safe about them, and allow them to continue to grow. Ever wonder why they will never put up a show in any regulated state or country?

I hate weight cutting more than anything. Just train hard and get in shape for your fight. Enough with the extreme weight cutting and dehydration.

In a sport where minuscule differences matter, a size advantage is important. It does not guarantee victory but certainly makes it easier. Copying ONE is the way to go.

I don't care what anyone says extreme weight cutting is for cowards. Frankie Edgar is one of the few brave ones. He actually weighed 155 in the cage and didn't cut anything.
Lol

weight cutting is used as a weapon yes. some people can do it better than others

The 10 and 15 lb gaps between the wight classes are where the problem is.

Being just about able to make 155 doesn't mean you should be fighting at 170, if the UFC had more weight classes they be at light welter/super lightweight.

Coward is too strong a word. We often dont know some fighters walking weights but they may be tall and lanky and give the impression that they cut massive amounts of weight.

Really depends on the fighter's style. Guys like Max Holloway and Mcgregor need that extra size to compensate for the explosive wrestlers in their division. Mcgregor was so much bigger than guys like Mendes that he could muscle out of a lot of the positions in a way he can't at 155.

I would say that in most cases, you need to be big if you're primarily a striker. If you're an offensive chain wrestler, it's unimportant. It would be very difficult to be primarily a striker and also be smaller than your wrestling foundation adversary.

Gunnar Nelson at WW too

With discussion currently about whether the UFC will eventually adopt ONE FC weight cutting rules ( test hydration levels) the question arises. With the current system, how much of being a top level fighter is actually about ability to cut weight more than skills and abilities as a fighter?

Aside from HW, how many current UFC champions are there because they are expert weight cutters more than any other attribute? Yes they may be skilled but with the proper weight cut measures where you cant really weigh more than around 7.5 or maybe 10 pounds over on fight night, how many top guys would make weight in their current divisions and be able to compete at the top if forced to fight a higher weight class?

I use Khabib as an example currently. Dude almost died trying to cut weight one time. Would he even he champ if forced to fight at ww, or if he had to actually lose weight and musle mass to fight at lw which he would gave to if they made fighters weigh in hydrated?

I use Tito as a past example. Made an early career fighting smaller guys at mw (or later fighting older has been guys) when he shouldve been in a higher weightclass.
Well if the 7-10 pound over thing was a rule almost everybody in every division would be forced up 1 or more weightclasses so yeah, Khabib would probably currently be the WW champ competing with the same guys he does as a LW now since the other 2 top guys cut as much or more weight than he does and everybody else is also pretty close.

Back