Not that anything is a sure thing in MMA, but here are the odds...

true_fan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Of Khabib losing to Tony or Kevin. Khabib lost a very close round to arguably the best striker in that division because of obviously biased judging and Conor cheating, although Khabib had the more significant strikes and also slapped the ex champ. So basically, Khabib hasn’t really lost a round since his induction into the UFC!

Tony and Kevin had been on a tear lately but from a statistical point of view, they both lost many rounds and also lost fights. Also, both Kevin and Tony don’t represent the kind of danger that Conor did which was his accurate and more powerful stricking. Moreover, they also don’t represent the grappling credentials that would endanger Khabib’s bread and butter which is top of the heap grappling.

Bottom line, 27-0 is there for a reason because it means consistency and great game planning. Tony does have the cardio and the heart to give the undefeated champ a good fight, but there is nothing there aside from a cut, though Khabib doesn’t bruise easily, so even that is out of the equation and that’s why I don’t think it will even be competitive especially since Tony doesn’t mind being on the bottom!
As for Kevin, there is nothing that he can do that’s better than Khabib, which also means he can’t win, especially that Khabib’s boxing had evolved!

My question is why do people think Tony is the man?

Tony has unparalleled cardio, which is one of Conor's glaring weaknesses.
I think he's a way tougher matchup for Khabib than Conor was.

All Tony needs to do is slice him up with some of those vicious elbows and Khabib could lose because of a cut. Tony's got ways to win.

I tend to think though that Khabib/Tony is a fight that doesn't have great upset potential, I mean yes it could happen but neither is really known for extreme KO power and dispite being good submission fighters neither is known for grabing subs out of nowhere either. It seems most likely to me that its going to be a fight built on control and domaince with either a decision or a finish where one guy slowly beats down the other.

That's very different to say Cormier/Lewis were we could be probably 99% sure that Cormier would win a decision or slowly beat Derrick down but Lewis had a decent(if not massive) shot of landing on him early.

Tony is good, but I think the fact that he:

1.) Puts himself in dangerous situations with his weird TDD

and

2.) Has been clipped and hurt in a LOT of his fights

Is not going to do any favors for him vs Khabib.

His amazing cardio won't look so amazing when he is not the one pacing the fight.

Solid fighter though no doubt.

just bet on the Toner Khabab and you win regardless.

There's a complete lack of odds here.
Odds implies betting, where are the odds? Not in this thread anyway.

TS, I don't think you know what "odds" are. You posted nothing about them.

You just created (another) thread to say you think Khabib will keep winning. It's really no different than the other multitude of them you've made.

Of Khabib losing to Tony or Kevin. Khabib lost a very close round to arguably the best striker in that division because of obviously biased judging and Conor cheating, although Khabib had the more significant strikes and also slapped the ex champ. So basically, Khabib hasn’t really lost a round since his induction into the UFC!

Tony and Kevin had been on a tear lately but from a statistical point of view, they both lost many rounds and also lost fights. Also, both Kevin and Tony don’t represent the kind of danger that Conor did which was his accurate and more powerful stricking. Moreover, they also don’t represent the grappling credentials that would endanger Khabib’s bread and butter which is top of the heap grappling.

Bottom line, 27-0 is there for a reason because it means consistency and great game planning. Tony does have the cardio and the heart to give the undefeated champ a good fight, but there is nothing there aside from a cut, though Khabib doesn’t bruise easily, so even that is out of the equation and that’s why I don’t think it will even be competitive especially since Tony doesn’t mind being on the bottom!
As for Kevin, there is nothing that he can do that’s better than Khabib, which also means he can’t win, especially that Khabib’s boxing had evolved!

My question is why do people think Tony is the man?

It is my opinion that Khabib is to ground and pound what Rhonda Rousey was to armbars. Exceptional, but one dimensional. I know that there are scores of people who disagree with me, but the problem with fighters who haven't faced much adversity, is that you just don't know. Khabib is quickly becoming enamored with his own hype and surrounding himself with yes-men. Just my opinion of course, but he is quickly starting down the same path as all the other fighters who looked perfectly untouchable, until they... you know.... lost.
So to answer your question, people think Tony is the man because he prevents a different set of challenges than someone like Conor Mcgregor. While Conor is dangerous on the feet, in his range, and virtually nowhere else, Tony has some dangerous elbows, crazy cardio, and is just plain old crazy. Will he beat Khabib? I don't know. Khabib is very good, I don't mean to make it seem like I think he's some can. Just massively overrated around here right now.

It is my opinion that Khabib is to ground and pound what Rhonda Rousey was to armbars. Exceptional, but one dimensional. I know that there are scores of people who disagree with me, but the problem with fighters who haven't faced much adversity, is that you just don't know. Khabib is quickly becoming enamored with his own hype and surrounding himself with yes-men. Just my opinion of course, but he is quickly starting down the same path as all the other fighters who looked perfectly untouchable, until they... you know.... lost.
So to answer your question, people think Tony is the man because he prevents a different set of challenges than someone like Conor Mcgregor. While Conor is dangerous on the feet, in his range, and virtually nowhere else, Tony has some dangerous elbows, crazy cardio, and is just plain old crazy. Will he beat Khabib? I don't know. Khabib is very good, I don't mean to make it seem like I think he's some can. Just massively overrated around here right now.
Yes, but he proved himself 27 times, so why doubt him?

He's an undefeated champ in the best (maybe 2nd behind 45) division in the org. He has an unreal way of seemingly breezing through fights like he was never in danger of ever even potentially losing a single round let alone a fight. If he hasn't impressed you, and you don't think the hype is warranted, I'm not sure what else he can do?

The odds are basically 0. 001, but they’re still odds!

So...you think Tony has a 1% chance of beating Khabib? Am I seeing that correctly?

Khabib beats all the LW's imo. But if I'd be worried about him losing a fight, it'd be against Fergusson because of his no quit attitude and unlimited cardio. If Khabib slows down and Fergusson puts the pressure on him in the championship rounds, there is risk of Khabib losing. As for Kevin Lee, he has nothing on Khabib and Khabib will absolutely wreck him in every facet of mma.

Yes, but he proved himself 27 times, so why doubt him?
Well for starters 15 of his wins don't have wikipedia pages. Of his wins that do have wikipedia pages, the names that stand out are Barboza, RDA, Conor, and Al Iaquinta. Barboza is wicked on the feet, but once you get him down he's pretty much done. RDA is a pretty legit win. Conor is a bit like Barboza, except with an embarrassing loss to Nate diaz to boot. The Ragin Al fight left me with some doubts.

Again, I don't think Khabib is a bad fighter by any means. But saying hes proved himself 27 times is a little misleading. He has not done enough to convince me that he is some unbeatable phenom. Hence the doubt.

TS, I don't think you know what "odds" are. You posted nothing about them.

You just created (another) thread to say you think Khabib will keep winning. It's really no different than the other multitude of them you've made.
That’s why I asked at the end why would u want to see him vs Tony smarty?

Back