Why Doesn't The UFC Adopt The ONE FC Weight Cutting Guidelines?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
ONE decided to end/seriously diminish weight cutting. Most of their fighters moved up a weight class and the limit the cutting to 5%. They also do hydration tests to make sure you aren't just dehydrating for the weight checks. This means if you are a 145 pound fighter, you can not lose more then 7.5 pounds meaning the maxiumum weight for 145 is essentially 152.

135ers would all move to 145, every single Bantamweight weighs at least 145 out of camp.

145ers would move up to 155 as most of them are atleast 155-165.

155ers would all move up to 170, I dont think there is a top LW walks lighter then 170.

170ers would move up to 185, same idea.

185ers would move to 200.

Then make anything above 200 HW. These are the weakest mens divisions and most of the LHW could easily fight at HW, and it makes the division better. There is no reason Jones, Gus, Rumble, Bader, etc should be fighting at less then HW. You take the 20-30 guys in both divisions and you get a REAL HW division.

The UFC is slimming down and trimming off the fat right now anyways.

Consolidating the lowest and highest weight classes will force the fighters in middle divisions to fight in their proper weight class as long as weight cutting considerations are factored in.

Commissions.

California's trying but they can only do so much and work in an advisory capacity.

I think it's a great idea. If it happens here we're going to see some different fighter physiques even more so than the USADA implication.

After years and years of eyepokes, they still weren't able to change the damn gloves.

So I wouldn't expect anything radical to happen just like that.

It would be nice if it happened. The quality of fights would improve and there would be much fewer problems/pull-outs.

You don't expect proud Muricans to go copying a bunch of Asians, do you???

This is Murica, man..... it's called weigh cutting...... what do you not get?

OR, or........ or are you not proud of your fkn country, dude?? Personally, I want to talk about a wall to keep the non-weight cutters OUT of the sport. Maybe separate them from their kids....

I'd love for this to happen, but I just think it's not practical with a roster of 500-600 fighters.

How would they ensure that all of these hundreds of fighters stay within the limits?

What happens when a superstar misjudges and cuts 6% instead of 5%? He automatically loses his title?

I think it just presents more risk than benefit for the UFC.

ONE decided to end/seriously diminish weight cutting. Most of their fighters moved up a weight class and the limit the cutting to 5%. They also do hydration tests to make sure you aren't just dehydrating for the weight checks. This means if you are a 145 pound fighter, you can not lose more then 7.5 pounds meaning the maxiumum weight for 145 is essentially 152.

135ers would all move to 145, every single Bantamweight weighs at least 145 out of camp.

155ers would all move up to 170, I dont think there is a top LW walks lighter then 170.

Then make anything above 200 HW. These are the weakest mens divisions and most of the LHW could easily fight at HW, and it makes the division better. There is no reason Jones, Gus, Rumble, Bader, etc should be fighting at less then HW. You take the 20-30 guys in both divisions and you get a REAL HW division.

Consolidating the lowest and highest weight classes will force the fighters in middle divisions to fight in their proper weight class as long as weight cutting considerations are factored in.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the miss rate nearly doubled after the weigh in time change. A quick google led me to this article:
https://mmajunkie.com/2018/06/ufc-early-weigh-ins-by-the-numbers-broken-system

In case you don't want to click the link, across roughly 950 fights, 32 missed weight under the old system, and 62 missed weight under the new. If I were the UFC I'd sure as heck think about going back right now. Be a lot cheaper than hydration testing everyone and less adjustment for the fighters.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the miss rate nearly doubled after the weigh in time change. A quick google led me to this article:
https://mmajunkie.com/2018/06/ufc-early-weigh-ins-by-the-numbers-broken-system

In case you don't want to click the link, across roughly 950 fights, 32 missed weight under the old system, and 62 missed weight under the new. If I were the UFC I'd sure as heck think about going back right now. Be a lot cheaper than hydration testing everyone and less adjustment for the fighters.
<mma4>

the number of fights in the ufc missing weigh is low so why

I'd love for this to happen, but I just think it's not practical with a roster of 500-600 fighters.

How would they ensure that all of these hundreds of fighters stay within the limits?

What happens when a superstar misjudges and cuts 6% instead of 5%? He automatically loses his title?

They just do the hydration testing along with the USADA and at the start of fight weeks. It would require some extra testing to get baselines established but operationally wouldn't even be very difficult.

Ideally this would work, but in the interim it will mean more cancelled fights.

Imagine Brock Lesnar vs Conor cancelled a day out because Brock failed a hydration test.

That or serious punishments for offenders, and 2 misses automatically moves you up a class.

If you are going to eliminate weight cutting then I would add weight classes, not eliminate them: 105, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 225, 285 (depending on depth)

More weight classes = more champions = more title fights = better cards

Don't they not even announce the weigh-ins in ONE? How do we know what they actually weigh?

Just eliminate weight classes

<{JustBleed}>

Do it
add 165
Move 170 to 175

then lets get this thang goin

If they did this and we started calling the flyweights bantamweights, would sherdog still hate the division?

According the UFC's fighter database, they currently have 439 active fighters under contract. 375 are men.

Flyweight has 21 fighters, I think all but 5-6 are going to be cut and allowed to move up to 135.

375-15=360

Its not 2012 where they had nearly everyone signed. They have slowly let a lot of people go.

Good idea, except trimming down the number of weight classes. Would prefer the same number as it is now, like:
open

and without a BS pound weight allowance.

Back