Ridiculous treatment of UFC flyweight division

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
It shows really UFC tries to be a professional, legitimate sports league, but it definitely has much more interest in bottom line, though of course all professional leagues are business at heart, but you'd imagine there has to be some sort of principles.

I remember when they brought back UFC lightweight division. I remember when they brought in featherweight and bantamweights and flyweights.

To get rid of a weight division, while keeping incredibly, incomparibly more shallow female mma divisions, not just one but two and third on the way, seems nothing but a cash-grabbing move.

Not only that, to scrap the division, albeit unofficially to save face, and THEN make the final title match between a guy who arguablly lost his last fight against a dominant champion who destroyed him in the first fight, and even more importantly who had problem making weights in the flyweight division, and a guy who is moving down from a weight class above with ONE title defense under his belt, seems like spitting in the face of a spirit of the legitimate, athletic competition which UFC appears to aspire to be.

I don't give a single fuck about the flyweight division, just like WMMA, but they getting the raw deal here, and where's the outrage?

Personally, I used up all my outrage with this:
26EC335C00000578-0-image-m-19_1427113002417.jpg

lmfao at the web tattoo. If Punk did anytime he was exactly that, a punk. Got his wig split and cheeks busted.

Small guys don't sell..They will all go fight for One and make the same shitty money that were making in the UFC.

Small guys don't sell..They will all go fight for One and make the same shitty money that were making in the UFC.

Heavyweight fighting has always been the main attraction of prizefighting. The biggest guys possible beating the shit out of each other and anyone can get slept with those lunchboxes on their wrists. Only hardcore fans enjoy watching anything below 155

They gave it a shot for 6 years and it didn't work out. Can't hate them for at least trying, WEC couldn't even get a Flyweight division going. Let Rizin or OneFC, where the region supports fighters that size, carry the torch. It would be much more beneficial for everyone.

This is the company that calls women professional fighters who couldn't win an after class middle school parking lot brawl.

Last edited:
lmfao at the web tattoo. If Punk did anytime he was exactly that, a punk. Got his wig split and cheeks busted.

Lil harsh for someone who loves Pepsi...

It doesn't look as bad as that Pepsi lookin abomination on his shoulder.

It's simple. That division doesn't make any money at all. They are keeping the women's divisions open just in case they can strike gold again with another Rousey. I thought they were able to poach Mikaela Mayer from olympic boxing but I guess she did one little tour with alpha male and quit.

I really don’t like that the 125 division is getting singled out especially now of all times.

I keep.praying and hoping WMMA is next to go.
Give it time

Alot of Mexican fighters at fw maybe that has something to do with it.

Sadly this fanbase is full of dumbasses that think they can beat a 125'er in a fight.

It shows really UFC tries to be a professional, legitimate sports league, but it definitely has much more interest in bottom line, though of course all professional leagues are business at heart, but you'd imagine there has to be some sort of principles.

I remember when they brought back UFC lightweight division. I remember when they brought in featherweight and bantamweights and flyweights.

To get rid of a weight division, while keeping incredibly, incomparibly more shallow female mma divisions, not just one but two and third on the way, seems nothing but a cash-grabbing move.

Not only that, to scrap the division, albeit unofficially to save face, and THEN make the final title match between a guy who arguablly lost his last fight against a dominant champion who destroyed him in the first fight, and even more importantly who had problem making weights in the flyweight division, and a guy who is moving down from a weight class above with ONE title defense under his belt, seems like spitting in the face of a spirit of the legitimate, athletic competition which UFC appears to aspire to be.

I don't give a single fuck about the flyweight division, just like WMMA, but they getting the raw deal here, and where's the outrage?

Dude... This is prize fighting. If it doesn't sell there is no reason to keep it around. The FLW's are talented athletes, but sometimes life is cruel and the world is mean. Plus the UFC put a lot of effort into trying to build the FLW division and Mighty Mouse...

1. The FLW division started of as a tournament where the fights took place on the UFC on FX fight cards.

2. The FLW tournament final (Mighty Mouse vs Benevidez) was the Co Main Event for Jon Jones vs Vitor Belfort.

3. Mighty Mouse's next 3 title fights headlined UFC on Fox cards on network television.

4. After they tried to build him up on network tv they had him headline UFC 174,178, and 186 and they all tanked. The even gave him the co main event spot on what was supposed to be Jones vs Cormier at UFC 191 (Which ended up being Jones Vs St.Preuix)

5. After all of that they organized a whole TUF division around MM where the winner would fight for the strap on live tv for the TUF finale.

6. The UFC offered him a super fight with the BM champion and he turned it down to fight Ray Borg.

The UFC did all they could to try and sell this division. To say they're being unfair is horseshit.

The flyweight division will always have a place on some dude's DVR, Asian countries and under a circus tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back