Why do people act as though Yoel Romero is unbeatable???

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
First of all Yoel deserves all respect for his achievements. Everything he has done has been nothing short of incredible, especially considering his age. He's definitely an extremely dangerous and difficult fight for ANYONE in the 185 pound division because of his explosive ability to end a fight in the blink of an eye. And yes he looks physically frightening.

With all that said I'm tired of seeing all these threads where people are automatically dismissing people like Adesanya or even Anderson Silva's chances against him in a fight. Yoel is a notoriously slow starter, in part because he has to conserve that gas tank, carrying all that muscle and what not. Most of his fights against top contenders he is down on the scorecards or it's very close before he finds his opening to finish. Silva and Israel are 2 of the smartest fighters we've ever seen grace the octagon in terms of fight IQ, and they always come well prepared game plan wise and being tactical. Also they are both extremely well conditioned. And needless to say both of their standup games are amongst the best in mma mma history. Now obviously Silva is not the fighter he was and I personally wished him to retire loooong ago. But since he chooses to fight, a fight against Romero wouldn't be that ridiculous.

People will being up the wrestling advantage but I feel Silva's grappling is a lot better than he gets credit for. At the very least he's great at not taking much damage from the bottom. And Israel has shown his takedown defense only gets better every fight. He closes small holes in his game each time out. And he's not willing to just lay on his back.

With all that said I'm tired of seeing all these threads where people are automatically dismissing people like Adesanya or even Anderson Silva's chances against him in a fight.

Never seen any of these threads.

As long as you stay conscious you got a fair chance of decisionating Yoel.

Never seen any of these threads.
There have been a lot of posts about Yoel calling out Anderson because it would be pretty easy, and I tend to agree. Anderson has slowed down considerably and doesn't have the same chin he used to.

With all that said I'm tired of seeing all these threads where people are automatically dismissing people like Adesanya or even Anderson Silva's chances against him in a fight. Yoel is a notoriously slow starter, in part because he has to conserve that gas tank, carrying all that muscle and what not. Most of his fights against top contenders he is down on the scorecards or it's very close before he finds his opening to finish. Silva and Israel are 2 of the smartest fighters we've ever seen grace the octagon in terms of fight IQ, and they always come well prepared game plan wise and being tactical. Also they are both extremely well conditioned. And needless to say both of their standup games are amongst the best in mma mma history. Now obviously Silva is not the fighter he was and I personally wished him to retire loooong ago. But since he chooses to fight, a fight against Romero wouldn't be that ridiculous.

Let's take it easy with Adesanya here. Anderson is clearly proven, but it's a little premature to use "mma history" or "ever grace the octagon" for Adesanya when the guy's still new and the best guy he's fought is Brunson.

Anderson is also a slow starter, and his reflexes and chin are pretty badly diminished and he hasn't finished anyone in over 6 years. He was the best in his prime, but that was a long time ago.

Prime roided Silva besmirches any version of roided Yoel

Doubt it

Yoel is a nightmare for Prime Silva

Absolutely not
He spends long periods standing, he doesn’t use much ground control, and is very hittable.

He could have lost his fights against Brunson and Jacare if not for one good moment.

Yea, he’s an elite Olympian, but nowhere near the skill set Silva had.

People are weird when they're aroused.

Not even close

He's a poor man's version of Hendo

Not as good of a wrestler, far more chinny, and less powerful

Not even close lol. Yoel is a superior grappler, as well way more explosive and athletic. Hendo is a legend and one of my favorites but give Yoel more respect.

Great point but I think Romero's chin is a huge difference maker. He may not have the best cardio but he does a great job at conserving it until the 3rd round where he knocks out people with superior cardio. His IQ is underrated too as he makes reads on his opponents in the first 2 rounds before figuring out how to KO them in round 3.

Then there's the wrestling which is Silvas kryptonite. Even Jacare couldn't pull of any subs off his back against him.

Whittakers take down defense gassed and body work gassed gasse him out in the first fight. The rematch was a draw imo and I think a trilogy would be fun. Whittaker fan btw.

Prime Silva would take him in deep waters but atm he would give hell to anybody.

I just saw him struggle with a blown up welterweight, so I don't know...

If we are talking Anderson, he lost his reflexes, has no chin, and struggle with guys like Weidman, Bisping and Nick Diaz, so I would favour Romero. Going into a fight with Yoel with a weak chin and no reflexes is a bad idea.. 10 years ago, there is no doubt Anderson would toy with Romero, but not now...

Back