Lawler have anything left in the tank for Askren?

chinarice

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Dude had a great late resurgence in his career but he arguably has not really won a fight since he finished Rory in July 2015.

In his last 4 fights
- Clearly lost to RDA
- Questionable win over Cerrone
- KO'ed by Woodley
- Bullshit decision over Condit

I believe his days at the top of the division are over. I could see Askren wrestlefucking him for 15 minutes. I hope he KOs Askren but I am not confident at all it will happen.

Yea I'm hoping he smokes Askren but idk after he got worked so hard against RDA and blew a knee

At least Pillow Fist Ben wont KO him

His standup is still a million times better than Funky Ben's.

Which means he at least has a shot for the KO at the start of each round.

Honestly Robbie didn't look that bad in the RDA fight up until he blew his knee out and in the 3rd-5th rounds he was just a hobbling mess.

No he is washed up, UFC trying to make Askren look good and Lawler is the perfect name for that, a huge name who past his prime.

Robbie has been fighting professionally since 2001. Crazy to think how long he's been around. With 40 fights under his belt and on the bad side of 30, I think Robbie is definitely on the down slope of his career..

30-27 Askren..

This has the potential to show more where Askren isn't than where he is. If he can't beat Lawler then we know his talk for all of those years about running through any UFC WW was just talk.

Robbie is fight Chuck after this one. Winner faces Royce. Grand Champ gets to live on the Jesus statue in Rio.

Askren has some of the best takedowns and top control in the sport, BUT his entries are far from perfect. He often dives in on the legs from too far out and winds up in "bad" positions trying to turn the fight into a wrestling match, but his scrambling is so superiour to his previous opponents that it works anyway. But on this level you need better set-ups, so Askren has to be careful facing someone like Lawler who has high level TDD.

There probably isn't much there left in Lawlers tank. . I think the UFC is giving Askren a name that they figure he will beat. He wins and it gives him cred in the eyes of UFC fans who aren't that familiar with Askren. Also it's a contrast of styles. Askren wins it a selling point that his wrestling can counter strikers for Ws. Now if Askren gets creamed by Lawler Dana gets to gloat and say that's why he wasn't so much into over-hyping Askren over the guys already on the UFC roster.

Robbie lawler is definitely a shell of his former self, but this is the first guy askren has ever fought that’s ever been elite so it will be interesting to see how that wrestling works on him

Askren is no spring chicken either. He's 34 and this is by far the toughest fight of his career, the first elite fighter he has even fought.

Whatever about Lawler being past it, we at least know he has quality. The same can't be said about Askren.

He has everything in the tank for this playboy.

War Robbie.

maxresdefault.jpg

Robbie is a horrible matchup for Ben... Is Lawler the same fighter he was a few years ago? Obviously, no! Age and the fact every fight with Robbie is a war will ultimately take its toll. But Lawler is a very well rounded fighter, and while he is definitely not the same fighter, I think it would be a mistake to suggest he is no longer an elite level.

RDA, Cerrone and Condit all have elite boxing. They are mobile, with excellent technical striking skills. Simply put, Ben does not have those same skills.

In the past, I have been very critical of those who prop up Ben, despite there being a lack of quality on his resume. Robbie is going to be a nightmare for Askren to drag to the mat, and even more of a nightmare to keep there... not to mention, standing, Ben is going to be at a very big disadvantage, having to take some major risks to complete his takedowns..

All said and done, despite the fact that Lawler has slowed a step or two, I think he will be more than enough for Askren. If Ben manages to pull this out, or even look competitive, I will change my tune on Askren... I give him a lot of credit for taking this fight at all, because Ben was right when he said that Lawler was perhaps his worst matchup in the division.

No he is washed up, UFC trying to make Askren look good and Lawler is the perfect name for that, a huge name who past his prime.

I think it's the opposite... they are praying Lawler has enough left to sprawl and brawl to a victory so they can put Askren on the backburner. If it works out then their former great champion has rejuvenated his career, if not well Askren beat up a vet on the decline.

Either Robbie fucks up Ben on the feet, or he gets wrestle fucked. The end.

Back