Fake contracts to Cerrone? UFC's negotiation tactic to get Conor vs. Aldo 2 (Nate 3) for cheap?

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Back in November 3rd at UFC 230, there were talks of a rematch between Conor and Jose Aldo:

Now that Cerrone just beat Perry (both of whom are mid-size Welter Weights and would dwarf Conor), there are rumors of Conor vs. Cerrone...

Is this another one of UFC's negotiation tactics to get Conor vs. Aldo 2 for cheap? (Or Conor vs. Nate 3)

The UFC have a history of using shameless negotiation tactics to get fighters to take fights for cheap. For example, when they wanted Alvarez, who was champ at the time, to accept a fight with Conor for cheap, they sent Khabib a fake contract to let the rumor spread.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11...dana-white-to-stop-sending-him-fake-contracts

https://www.mmamania.com/2016/11/13...ot-dana-white-stop-sending-fake-contracts-mma

Alvarez got scared, so he agreed to take a lower offer.

Is history repeating itself here?

Last edited:
dnB4qqk_d.jpg

75220-full.png

images

Lol as if Conor would fight Cerrone, he would fold him but Cerrone isnt gonna help sell 2 million PPVs.

Possibly. Nothing would surprise me with UFC at this point.

I'd rather see McGregor and Cerrone than Aldo. Even though Aldo has a chance to win or at least give Conor a hard time, I think Cerrone proves more, is tougher, and gives both Conor and Khabib trouble at 155.

[shrug], I have a much simpler explanation.

Aldo has never been a draw on his own and to a lesser extent this has also been true of Alvarez. The UFC knew it could almost get as many pay per view buys and almost make as much money with Conor fighting someone who wasn't as challenging as they could with Conor fighting Alvarez or Aldo. If either had pressed for too much money it wouldn't surprise me if the UFC chose to make a different fight instead.

This is particularly true in Aldo's case. Unfortunately, Aldo has almost no leverage for making a fight with Conor right now. He got easily knocked out in their last fight, he doesn't hold a belt, he has repeatedly stated he will fight Conor anytime anywhere with unfortunate results, he has pulled out of almost half his fights, and he isn't a draw.

Note I am not arguing this is right or fair or good for the fighters. It is merely the situation he finds himself in.

It is possible. Conor's power does not translate above 145 lbs

Stop sending fake contracts and send a bottle of Proper 12... Let the man know you care about him. :eek:

I'd rather see McGregor and Cerrone than Aldo. Even though Aldo has a chance to win or at least give Conor a hard time, I think Cerrone proves more, is tougher, and gives both Conor and Khabib trouble at 155.

This is the other problem which I didn't mention in my post. Aldo looked flat out broken and scared in his fight with Conor which amazed me even more than his quick loss. I mean Aldo wouldn't even look at Conor when they faced off right before the fight. Aldo had absolutely brutalized opponents in the WEC and in previous UFC fights. I am not sure what happened or how Conor got so thoroughly into his head.

I think I would rather see Conor fight Cerrone as well. (Well maybe. If it could be guaranteed Aldo wouldn't pull out and would show up mentally ready that would be a much FUNNER fight but I don't think that is necessarily going to happen.

I like both fights equally the same. I really don’t care who he fights as long as long as it’s somewhat in the near future and we’re not stuck talking about it for the next 12 months. Aldo, Cowboy, or Diaz. Just pick one.

While I'd love to see a properly motivated Aldo redeem himself, I doubt the UFC would ever make that fight again.

Conor's reputation was built on that 13 second KO, and they won't jeopardize that by having Aldo win, or just do better the second time.

Cerrone submits McGregor, fairly easily

If they’re offering Cerron me the McGregor fight, I think it sells. It’s pretty proven that a McGregor fight is gonna sell well regardless of opponent, and I think they could legit be offering, or Cerrone could legit be pushing for, a McGregor fight simply because he deserves a massive fight after all the work he’s put in and accolades he now has

I don't think the UFC is looking at doing Aldo vs Mac II.

Cerrone fight is kind of out of left field but at the same time it makes sense. Big enough name for Conor to fight so it will sell well, Cerrone will stand and bang, most fans think it will be one hell of an entertaining fight, and to boot out of the top guys at 155 Cerrone is probably the easiest path to victory for Conor/UFC. Seems to make sense even though I don't think many fans thought of this fight until this rumor started.

This is the other problem which I didn't mention in my post. Aldo looked flat out broken and scared in his fight with Conor which amazed me even more than his quick loss. I mean Aldo wouldn't even look at Conor when they faced off right before the fight. Aldo had absolutely brutalized opponents in the WEC and in previous UFC fights. I am not sure what happened or how Conor got so thoroughly into his head.

I think I would rather see Conor fight Cerrone as well. (Well maybe. If it could be guaranteed Aldo wouldn't pull out and would show up mentally ready that would be a much FUNNER fight but I don't think that is necessarily going to happen.

I don't know. I think Conor's at the point where he's too big for anyone like Aldo to be a match for him at featherweight (except for Holloway or Ortega), while also being undersized and outgunned by most top lightweights. If that 165lb division ever opens up, I think that will get rid of the heavy weight cutters at lightweight, and make Conor much more competitive there. To your point about Aldo, I agree. Even Conor said it himself, Aldo was a great champion in his prime, that fight deserved to go longer than it did. But in the same way that I think a focused Conor that "shows up" would still lose to Khabib; I think the best Aldo would lose a long, drawn out war against Conor.
But who knows. Maybe Aldo would actually have a chance against this new Conor that's more passionate about selling whiskey and partying than fighting.

Back