Did McGregor Do Better Or Worse Than Expected?

CrusadeAgainstTheMachine

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled, there are two competing schools of thought left.

On one hand McGregor lost, got tapped (again) and it honestly could've been over in round 2 and nobody would've had a problem with it.

On the other hand he stood and fought arguably the most dominant 55er of all time going 4 rounds with him and even managing to win one of them. Although his grappling eventually cracked, he actually had some good TDD and his wrestling seemed fine considering this was v the best wrestler the 55s have maybe ever seen.

What does TS (Team Sherdog) think?

Who expected him to get dropped by "amateurish" khabib?

they put him as #2P4P before the fight. He looked like garbage fighting the champ.

The fight went pretty much how a lot of people expected. Khabib is a terrible matchup for Conor. Conor is very good at one thing, but he isn't well-rounded and Khabib's area of greatest strength is the ideal skill to exploit Conor's greatest weakness.

The issue with McG was his serious lack of effective offense. At no point was Kabib in any kind of trouble.

It makes me think that a rematch is going to be no different.

I don't care about Conor barely scrapping a slow round or stuffing a few takedowns, Khabib was never in any sort of trouble and led the dance all fight long.

He did about as I expected, though Khabib did better in the stand-up than I expected.

People predicted a KO for Khabib, and he almost got it.

Now that the dust has settled, there are two competing schools of thought left.

On one hand McGregor lost, got tapped (again) and it honestly could've been over in round 2 and nobody would've had a problem with it.

On the other hand he stood and fought arguably the most dominant 55er of all time going 4 rounds with him and even managing to win one of them. Although his grappling eventually cracked, he actually had some good TDD and his wrestling seemed fine considering this was v the best wrestler the 55s have maybe ever seen.

What does TS (Team Sherdog) think?
IMO he did a lot better than was expected on the ground.
But a far cry from what was expected while standing (didn't KO Khabib and got cracked instead).

Overall, it was positive, but not as much as Conor fans expected.

He won a round, but I bet just like Floyd, Khabib gave him the round on purpose ... his td attempts were staged and he lost the round as part of his plan

He did fine the first round. He has able to neutralize Khabib's favorite movements but Khabib has so many different entries. What impressed me was how Mcgregor tried to use the same escape he used earlier that round to stand up and Khabib was able to read it and ended the fight with the choke. Mcgregor needs more tricks in his book in a rematch because Khabib's grappling knowledge is far superior to his. Most folks can't even think properly during a fight much less make the adjustment within a few minutes by themselves

Almost said worse because the stand up, but that can also be attributed to Khabib's stand up was better than I expected

Back