Where does Yair's finish rank among the all time best?

DeeDubb

Gracie Online Black Belt
@purple
Reaction score
tumblr_pi0n7my8Br1udfb8oo1_500.gif

I know it's hard to judge the historical relevance of a fight in the immediate aftermath, however, my immediate reaction to Yair's finish of KZ was that it was the greatest finish in MMA history. However, in order to assess it accurately, I wanted to try to create a system to analyze the finish as objectively as possible. So I've scored Yair's finish according to the following metric:

Uniqueness - Have we seen it before? Will we likely never see it again?
Definitiveness - How devastating was the finish?
Come from Behind Factor - The later and more necessary the finish, the better.
Relevance - Finishes in title fights are obviously going to be more impactful than finishes on an undercard.

Uniqueness:
10/10
An elbow thrown in a way never thrown before gets a KO. Any time you see a finish that you'll likely never see again, it's gotta be a 10/10. Other 10/10 examples:

Anderson front kick to the face:
AnxiousWaryBinturong-size_restricted.gif

DJ's indescribable armbar against Borg
giphy.gif

and ironically KZ's twister
tumblr_mtahngmSfW1ry1rm7o4_r2_400.gif

Lots more fit this category, obviously. So many unique finishes in the history of MMA.

Definitiveness:
9/10
The "holy shit" factor. Watching KZ go down in an absolute heap is tremendously painful to me as a fan. Even though it was a definitive KO, there's a bit of a difference between going down in a heap and going down completely stiff. The only way to get 10/10 in this category for me is:

Barbosa vs Etim
giphy.gif

Franklin vs Quarry
14ipqq9.jpg

Not a fan of seeing injuries, but injuries that end fights are also extremely definitive and devastating.

Come from behind factor:
10/10
He was definitely behind. Knew he was behind. Got the KO at literally the last second. Latest finish ever in a 5-round fight.
Another 10/10 fight would of course be

Silva vs Sonnen 1
HQSonnenTaps.gif

Though Yair and Silva were scoring come from behinds (needed the finish because they were losing scoring), physical come-from-behinds are also very impactful. Where one fighter is physically dominated and seemingly on the edge of losing and then comes back. This often happens in the first round of fights:

Diaz vs Daley:
6_medium.gif

diaz-daley.gif

Kongo vs Berry
kongo-barry_finish.gif

Relevance:
5/10
10/10 fights would be the absolute most relevant fights in UFC history. Such as Chuck vs Tito. Fights that transcend the sport. 8-9/10 are important championship fights. 7/10 is an average championship fight. 6/10 would be a fight where there are immediate title implications. This is where the fight is lacking. It was the main event, but not on a ppv. It wasn't a title fight, nor did it have immediate title implications. Still, it's not as if it's on the undercard or anything. It was a somewhat important fight.

Total score: 34/40

In fact, I think the only finish that is even close for me would be Silva vs Sonnen 1, which would score:

6/10 - Uniqueness (triangles are pretty common and Chael has shown susceptibility to them in his career)
7/10 - Definitiveness (he tapped)
10/10 - Come from behind for the ages
9/10 - Relevance (huge fight, built up well by Sonnen, sold very well, but wasn't quite Chuck vs Tito)
Total - 32/40

So, by my metrics, Yair's finish is the greatest in UFC history, edging out Silva vs. Sonnen 1. What do you think of my metric? What categories would you add/remove to make the scoring more accurate?

Not the same thing. I'm talking about the finish. It's not the greatest KO in UFC history by any means. However, when calculating all other factors particularly time left in the fight, I think it's the greatest finish in UFC history.
You're right, My bad. I removed the post.

It's kind of crazy when you think Sonnen would have became champion if he hadn't got submitted like an idiot lol

its up there- sell/smith quickly came to mind too

I love any fight where both guys are on the ground at the end. One exhausted and injured and the other out cold. Both Smith/Sell and Yair/KZ had that. It's such powerful imagery.

It's on my Mount Rushmore for sure.

Conor 13 second KO
Edson Barboza mummifying wheel heel kick
Anderson Silva front kick on TRT Vitor
--> Yair's 1 second elbow <--

Honorable mentions...

Black beast vs Volkov

Uniqueness 8 (bonus point for post fight hot balls)
Definitiveness 9
Come from behind 10
Relevance 6

Black Beast in this hoe

It is the all time best imo. The fact that there was literally one second left in a fight most people thought he was going to lose... Unbelievable.

that one holy shit. I mean Smith has exactly 12 milliseconds of fight left in him and closed the deal in that amount of time. Crazy.

Black beast vs Volkov

Uniqueness 8 (bonus point for post fight hot balls)
Definitiveness 9
Come from behind 10
Relevance 6

Black Beast in this hoe

Good one. Forgot about it.

I would drop uniqueness down to about 6, as it was an overhand right with follow up GnP, though post fight/fighter personality maybe deserves it's own metric.

Definitiveness would also be a 7/8 for me. 9s and 10s are reserved for out cold before they hit the ground.

I'd actually bump relevance to a 7 because of Lewis's personality and "hot balls" post fight, which earned him an immediate title shot.

Come from behind, I'm fine with a 9 or a 10 on that. I think with heavyweights, especially ones like Lewis, there's more of a sense that they are never out of it.

Personally, I'd score it a 29-31/40. Still way up there on the list though.

tumblr_pi0n7my8Br1udfb8oo1_500.gif

I know it's hard to judge the historical relevance of a fight in the immediate aftermath, however, my immediate reaction to Yair's finish of KZ was that it was the greatest finish in MMA history. However, in order to assess it accurately, I wanted to try to create a system to analyze the finish as objectively as possible. So I've scored Yair's finish according to the following metric:

Uniqueness - Have we seen it before? Will we likely never see it again?
Definitiveness - How devastating was the finish?
Come from Behind Factor - The later and more necessary the finish, the better.
Relevance - Finishes in title fights are obviously going to be more impactful than finishes on an undercard.

Uniqueness:
10/10
An elbow thrown in a way never thrown before gets a KO. Any time you see a finish that you'll likely never see again, it's gotta be a 10/10. Other 10/10 examples:

Anderson front kick to the face:
AnxiousWaryBinturong-size_restricted.gif

DJ's indescribable armbar against Borg
giphy.gif

and ironically KZ's twister
tumblr_mtahngmSfW1ry1rm7o4_r2_400.gif

Lots more fit this category, obviously. So many unique finishes in the history of MMA.

Definitiveness:
9/10
The "holy shit" factor. Watching KZ go down in an absolute heap is tremendously painful to me as a fan. Even though it was a definitive KO, there's a bit of a difference between going down in a heap and going down completely stiff. The only way to get 10/10 in this category for me is:

Barbosa vs Etim
giphy.gif

Franklin vs Quarry
14ipqq9.jpg

Not a fan of seeing injuries, but injuries that end fights are also extremely definitive and devastating.

Come from behind factor:
10/10
He was definitely behind. Knew he was behind. Got the KO at literally the last second. Latest finish ever in a 5-round fight.
Another 10/10 fight would of course be

Silva vs Sonnen 1
HQSonnenTaps.gif

Though Yair and Silva were scoring come from behinds (needed the finish because they were losing scoring), physical come-from-behinds are also very impactful. Where one fighter is physically dominated and seemingly on the edge of losing and then comes back. This often happens in the first round of fights:

Diaz vs Daley:
6_medium.gif

diaz-daley.gif

Kongo vs Berry
kongo-barry_finish.gif

Relevance:
5/10
10/10 fights would be the absolute most relevant fights in UFC history. Such as Chuck vs Tito. Fights that transcend the sport. 8-9/10 are important championship fights. 7/10 is an average championship fight. 6/10 would be a fight where there are immediate title implications. This is where the fight is lacking. It was the main event, but not on a ppv. It wasn't a title fight, nor did it have immediate title implications. Still, it's not as if it's on the undercard or anything. It was a somewhat important fight.

Total score: 34/40

In fact, I think the only finish that is even close for me would be Silva vs Sonnen 1, which would score:

6/10 - Uniqueness (triangles are pretty common and Chael has shown susceptibility to them in his career)
7/10 - Definitiveness (he tapped)
10/10 - Come from behind for the ages
9/10 - Relevance (huge fight, built up well by Sonnen, sold very well, but wasn't quite Chuck vs Tito)
Total - 32/40

So, by my metrics, Yair's finish is the greatest in UFC history, edging out Silva vs. Sonnen 1. What do you think of my metric? What categories would you add/remove to make the scoring more accurate?
I like that you put some thought into this and wrote out a quality and interesting thread, I would love to agree with you completely but unfortunately I will have to put Anderson/ Sonnen in the #1 spot just because of how much more was at stake and how hopeless I felt at the time fully believing I was mere minutes away from seeing Andersons legacy end at the hands of someone who at the time I couldn't stand.

Atleast in this fight while it seemed clear KZ had it won it was a competitive fight and with the judging being what it was that night it could have conceivably gone either way.

I think the metris is skewed, whether intentionally or unintentionally, to favor this fight because it just happened. Personally, i think the "lateness" of the finish is somewhat important but Yair wasn't exactly getting blown away in this fight and I wouldn't say it's in the top 5 all time comebacks considering how many great ones we've seen over the years. Damage > time

Matt Hughes' win over Carlos Newton > Yair's finish of Zombie. Wayyyy more historically important (1st title win of one of the sport's greatest champions), won via powerbomb KO off the cage, and did it while being unconscious (had to be informed of his win because he was choked out by a triangle just as he delivered the slam from hell). Rankings are all completely subjective but to me, Yair's win was great but not the all time great

I like that you put some thought into this and wrote out a quality and interesting thread, I would love to agree with you completely but unfortunately I will have to put Anderson/ Sonnen in the #1 spot just because of how much more was at stake and how hopeless I felt at the time fully believing I was mere minutes away from seeing Andersons legacy end at the hands of someone who at the time I couldn't stand.

Atleast in this fight while it seemed clear KZ had it won it was a competitive fight and with the judging being what it was that night it could have conceivably gone either way.

There is a lot of validity to that.

I'm considering the metric further. Because Anderson was hopelessly lost in his fight, while Yair was behind, but it was competitive.

However, Yair vs. KZ was a fight of the year contender before the finish.

So, what is a better finish? One that caps off an incredible and competitive fight, or one where a fighter reverses a fight in which they are being dominated?

I remember Sonnen vs Silva being boring as hell. Sonnen was doing just enough on the ground to keep the fight from being stood up. Anderson was being dominated from a scoring standpoint, but not physically damaged or pushed to complete exhaustion. It's a really tough call for me.

It's up there, he had tried that elbow a few times in the fight and had some success, I still couldn't believe he landed that hard, that late. Great fucking fight/knockout.

Back