Are cards built like 230 the future?

Workaholic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
UFC 230 main card: DC vs Lewis (HW), Weidman vs Jacare (MW), Branch vs Cannonier (MW), Roberson vs Marshman (MW), Brunson vs Adesanya (MW). 4 MW fights out of 5 on the PPV

Ignoring the short notice main event because we all know that wasn't the plan... are PPV cards that are mostly one weight class the future?

I think the UFC should do more of this going forwards. Rockhold fell out of the card and instead of a crisis they just moved in Jacare for one of the best fights of the year and moved up Cannonier who made a name for himself at MW. Plus, you got to see up and coming Adesanya and the elite guys at MW on the same night which I think helps build him up for the future because when you're watching those top 5 MWs you're thinking man... I wonder if he could do that to these guys too

Boxing is doing something like this with their Superfly fight cards and when the UFC did a single division PPV pretty much everyone loved it (all HW UFC 146). It's clear the UFC is starting to try and defend themselves against injury pullouts by having another fight on the card they can move guys up from (Tony/Pettis on 229 is an obvious example) but should they go even further?

Obviously you can't do this every card, or for every division but is this the way PPVs are going to be built going forwards? Should it be?

I think it's not a bad idea for the UFC to try going this route personally. It limits the damage from injury pull outs and I think it helps the overall feel of the card when you know most of the guys you're watching could end up in there with each other in the future

TLDR: PPV cards that are only 1 or 2 weight classes instead of 5 random weight classes. Like/don't like?

No... do you remember the full HW card?

Only a few prime weight classes benefit from this. For our(spectator) point of view i mean.

I like the idea

getting so tired of great fights getting scrapped in the eleventh hour

No... do you remember the full HW card?

Only a few prime weight classes benefit from this. For our(spectator) point of view i mean.

I do it was awesome lol

I agree with you though, a lot of weight classes couldn't produce enough great fights to fill a card

But having like 2 featured weight classes contributing 3/4 fights each per PPV could help with a lot of the injury pull out issues

And make match making easier going forwards

Yeah, imagine Khabib, Tony, Kevin Lee, Gaethje, Barboza, Poirier all fighting on one night

Yeah, imagine Khabib, Tony, Kevin Lee, Gaethje, Barboza, Poirier all fighting om one night

And you can make a Khabib/Tony main event with less fear since you can plug in any number of elite, exciting LWs in when one of them gets hurt or botches their cut

Doesn't matter to me as long as the matchups are good and skill levels are high... also no WMMA.

This would be good also for getting all the fighters on the same schedule. Like if you want the 2 winners of their fights tonight to face each other 3 months from now, you could do it because both guys would be 3 months removed from their last fight.

Would help prevent some guys going 6 or 8 months without a fight even though they're healthy, just because of the way scheduling worked out

It’s good for when fights fall through having multiple available fighters ready. But at the same time you will want most of the top 10 fighters booked for that card and that will be hard to do.

I don’t know about 4/5 of main card fights being same division. I think ufc wouldn’t able to keep it up, but def down for 3/5 main cards being the same division.

They could do this with BW
TJ
Cruz
Moraes
Lineker
assuncao
Garbrandt
Rivera
Sterling
Cjeudo?
All of these top guys are free and very entertaining

That's where Dana dropped the ball on the 125lb division. He should've had a whole card dedicated to those guys...

Nah.
And I don't watch NBA neither.
I don't shit on women athletes like you and the rest of these insecure bitch made posters on here.

I wouldn't shit on "women athletes" if the UFC didn't force me to fast forward through that garbage. If women want to fight I don't really care, but don't expect me to be like you and enjoy it like a typical beta.

I've been saying this for awhilem. Its also fun to see an entire division play out in one night.

I think each card should have one popular and one less popular weight class.

Back