Is Woodley the worst matchup for Khabib in the UFC?

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Can't really think of a more difficult matchup for Khabib that he can reasonably make in MMA.

His only reasonable divisions are LW & WW.

At LW, his toughest matchups (on paper, obviously he performed better against some of them) IMO were Al Iaquinta (good tdd, powerful hands), Kevin Lee (great grappler), Tony Ferguson (stamina and durability, good off the back), McGregor (great pressure fighter and accurate southpaw and RDA (excellent conditioning)

He has yet to fight T-Ferg and Lee, so I am interested in how those go but I think he decisions Ferguson and outworks Kevin Lee for the submission.

However, at WW things become interested. While Colby can seriously be an issue for Khabib, I'd say the biggest fight would be Tyron Woodley. The only critique where I would give Khabib an advantage is Woodley's tendency to fence retreat, which favors Khabib significantly.

Tyron woodley's size would be a huge problem as we saw in his Gleison Tibau fight. Woodley also has legit fast hands with intense knockout power. His Takedown defense is really good.

Your thoughts? Is there a worst matchup?

The blueprint will be there if Colby can beat Woodley.

I would love to see Khabib move up and fight Colby after if that were to happen oh my goodness.

Khabib himself said in one of the interviews that Woodley would be the most difficult fight for him or something along those lines. Prime GSP was his worst matchup imo.

Id imagine Daniel cormier is his biggest threat.. him or lesnar.

Yeah I think so. Not really surprising though. The champion of the weightclass above is likely going to be a bad matchup against the champ from the weightclass below.

It's possible that Khabib outworks Woodley though

Yeah, I can't really see Khabib beating Woodley at all. The only way I could see Khabib winning would be by submission, but that would require Woodley to fuck up somehow big time, which I doubt would happen. imo the chances of khabib winning is 15% or less.

Khabib has so many terrible matchups in LW let along WW. He gets murdered by half of that top 10

Tony F
Kevin Lee
Gregor G

Woodley
Usman
Colby
Maia
Ponz
Masvidal

All beat him IMO

The guys a bum waiting to be exposed. Aside from Conor this guy is one of the most beatable champions.

Yeah. GSP I would say.

Woodley might not look so good after 3-4 rounds of heavy wrestling.

He could catch Khabib, but I doubt it.

170 n under, yes. I think Woodley would smesh khabib. Like, I don't even think he has a punchers chance.

I think Khabib is a force to be reckoned with, except at 170 I'm not sure how well he does.
Against Woodley specifically? Probably his worst matchup (as you've put)
Strong, quick, great wrestler
Woodley just overpowers Khabib in many aspects of the game. They both get tired in later rounds, T-Woods TDD is pretty legit though. If he neutralizes any groundwork, he can put solid output on Khabib.
That being said, Khabib pushes himself in training against much bigger guys. At 170 it would be different for him, he'd be less drained, possibly stronger than he usually displays.
I'd say Khabib wouldn't be able to have his way as much against someone like Woodley, Colby (possibly) but he could still fair well in the division and possibly win against even those two.

Well first off Woodley is a welterweight and is chiseled of granite and an evolved one at that who is the UFC 170 champ.

- with all due respect to t.s, this shouldn't be a referenced match up

Khabib has so many terrible matchups in LW let along WW. He gets murdered by half of that top 10

Tony F
Kevin Lee
Gregor G

Woodley
Usman
Colby
Maia
Ponz
Masvidal

All beat him IMO

The guys a bum waiting to be exposed. Aside from Conor this guy is one of the most beatable champions.
What was your last account name?

Khabib loses to anyone in WW top 5. Outside of. a lucky punch, no chance.

At LW his biggest tests are Ferguson, Gaethje and Lee.
Possibly Ortega if he moves up.

Tony F
Kevin Lee
Gregor G

Woodley
Usman
Colby
Maia
Ponz
Masvidal

All beat him IMO

Masvidal? Lmao

The blueprint will be there if Colby can beat Woodley.

I would love to see Khabib move up and fight Colby after if that were to happen oh my goodness.
The blueprint?

Lol

1rlPc_medium.gif

g6_RoA.gif

Can't really think of a more difficult matchup for Khabib that he can reasonably make in MMA.

His only reasonable divisions are LW & WW.

At LW, his toughest matchups (on paper, obviously he performed better against some of them) IMO were Al Iaquinta (good tdd, powerful hands), Kevin Lee (great grappler), Tony Ferguson (stamina and durability, good off the back), McGregor (great pressure fighter and accurate southpaw and RDA (excellent conditioning)

He has yet to fight T-Ferg and Lee, so I am interested in how those go but I think he decisions Ferguson and outworks Kevin Lee for the submission.

However, at WW things become interested. While Colby can seriously be an issue for Khabib, I'd say the biggest fight would be Tyron Woodley. The only critique where I would give Khabib an advantage is Woodley's tendency to fence retreat, which favors Khabib significantly.

Tyron woodley's size would be a huge problem as we saw in his Gleison Tibau fight. Woodley also has legit fast hands with intense knockout power. His Takedown defense is really good.

Your thoughts? Is there a worst matchup?
Woodley has the best take down defence in the UFC can KO a bear

It's a bad stylistic match up for Khabib for sure

Back