The MMA Conversion

Brandon Dukes

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I guess I have 2 questions really. I've seen threads over the years about the fights that made you a fan & so you can answer that as well. The real question is what fight converted a friend into an MMA fan?

The fight that truly made me a fan was Nog vs Sapp. I had been watching MMA for years but that changed everything for me. Realizing that skill & training really could best power, strength, & a huge weight discrepancy.

The fight that changed my friends into MMA fans was PRIDE Critical Countdown 2004. I was broke & a 19in TV but I invited friends over to watch anyways. When Rampage slammed Arona the room went crazy! After that we never missed another PRIDE or UFC event. Lots of good memories & great fights.

IMG_2093.GIF

I was hooked since I saw UFC 2 on vhs. My friends didn't get hip to it until I brought in a video of UFC 7 as part of a presentation in high school.

My MMA fandom pre-dates the UFC. Generic VHS titles like "No Holds Barred Cage Fighting" with guys like Dan Severn, Oleg Taktarov, Ken Shamrock and such.

I was hooked since I saw UFC 2 on vhs. My friends didn't get hip to it until I brought in a video of UFC 7 as part of a presentation in high school.

I remember showing some friends UFC 1 & they did not like it. When the sumo guys teeth got knocked out & under the table by Jim Brown's feet it was too much for them. It was a little much honestly.

My MMA fandom pre-dates the UFC. Generic VHS titles like "No Holds Barred Cage Fighting" with guys like Dan Severn, Oleg Taktarov, Ken Shamrock and such.
Something isn't adding up. I'm pretty sure Dan Severn got his MMA start at UFC 4. Matter of fact, Ken was in the first 3(as well as more) but did Pancrase outside of that. Oleg came in at UFC 6. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find videos of those guys cage fighting before they hit the UFC.

Something isn't adding up. I'm pretty sure Dan Severn got his MMA start at UFC 4. Matter of fact, Ken was in the first 3(as well as more) but did Pancrase outside of that. Oleg came in at UFC 6. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find videos of those guys cage fighting before they hit the UFC.
I was wondering that myself.

The thing that isn't adding up is, you're wrong. All 3 of those guys fought before fighting in the UFC. That simple.

The thing that isn't adding up is, you're wrong. All 3 of those guys fought before fighting in the UFC. That simple.
Dan Severn was an accomplished wrestler before he made his MMA debut at UFC 4. Ken Shamrock made his MMA debut at UFC 1 even though he started in Pancrase which wasn't cage fighting(they used a ring) and they allowed kicks, but only open handed strikes and grappling. Oleg got his MMA start in 93, but again you'd be pretty hard pressed to find footage from that. With the names you've mentioned, it's hard to believe that you were watching videos of them before their UFC runs, especially Severn. Not calling you a liar, but I'm an old school MMA guy who was watching all of those early "NHB" events.

Back