The Trenches, Episode 6: Sherdog Live Chat (Every Thursday at 8PM ET/5 PM PT)

Who is the more valuable commodity for a fight promotion? Demetrious Johnson or Ben Askren

• Total voters

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score

Sherdog Main Page writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos want to talk things over and answer your questions on a Live Video Chat series titled "The Trenches," airing tonight at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT. They also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with today's poll question asking who is the more valuable commodity for a fight promotion between Demetrious Johnson and Ben Askren.

Chime in on the conversation by posting any questions you have for them.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

A journalist by trade, Jason has also co-hosted and produced multiple podcasts (including the "Fight Strength Podcast" with American Top Team trainer Phil Daru) over the years. He has contributed for several publications, and was a Senior Editor for MMASucka.com before landing at Sherdog. Along with his plethora of articles based on his exclusive interviews, Jason frequently covers live events for the site, chronicling the happenings with his growing photographic talents.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches, Episode 5
The Trenches, Episode 4
The Trenches, Episode 3

The Trenches, Episode 2
The Trenches, Episode 1: UFC 229 Presser

Ask Ant 10/19
Ask Ant 10/12

Ask Ant 10/5
Ask Ant 9/27
Ask Ant 9/21

Ask Ant 9/14

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.

Last edited:
How do you see Fedor vs Ryan Bader going? And does Fedor winning this tournament do anything for his already stellar resume?

What is your opinion on coaches that do not compete? Specifically striking coaches that have never competed in proper sanctioned bouts?

What are the top Top 3 under utilized techniques in MMA?

If Jon Jones looks like he did against OSP and gets finished by Gustafsson, should people discredit his entire record after numerous failed tests and weird test levels before USADA? Will he go down as the best that never was, the Lance Armstrong of MMA? Is that a fair comparison?

So... Seeming like we have entered a "New Era" in MMA. Trades... Do you think it is good for the overall sport? I like this one if it does go down. Mighty Mouse will get paid and not bashed for not bringing the ratings. Plus Askren has done the talking about what he will do in the UFC and could be his time to put his words into actions...

Have a good one.

Im sure "Ant walker" is aware of the unified karate rulebook, Screenshot_2018-10-25-14-18-55.png section 16 part f, rules that if a contestant sustains an accidental foul and can not continue, the bout becomes a no contest. But what if the injured contestant then notices the opponents karate jacket is over the alloted, three quarters of thigh length. Can i appeal this no contest and be awarded the bout?

What is the future of Brazilian MMA? We see top-trainers and fighters migrating stateside due to the more lucrative opportunities in America. Will this brain-drain, in the long run, have an adverse effect on the cultivation of talent in that country? (not to mention the lack of wrestling)

So... Seeming like we have entered a "New Era" in MMA. Trades... Do you think it is good for the overall sport? I like this one if it does go down. Mighty Mouse will get paid and not bashed for not bringing the ratings. Plus Askren has done the talking about what he will do in the UFC and could be his time to put his words into actions...

Have a good one.
Also, I assume that Dana and the UFC granted this trade because Mighty Mo requested it, since I saw that Hume was the vice president of ONE, and Demetrious has always delivered for the promotion as a faithful employee, but what does Demetrious get out of it? I'm shocked he wouldn't opt for the rematch with Cejudo considering a split decision loss after a reign that long. Is he trying to build his fanbase overseas before a return to the UFC? Does he intend to stay there until his retirement? Why would Dana say yes?

Is this a signal that Dana is weighing the thought of abandoning the Flyweight division? That is hasn't proven a good business move? What the hell is going on? I don't understand this trade at all.

Hello Sir Ant and Lord Burgos. I would like you to explain the unexplainable: what the hell is going on inside Tony Fergusson's head? Forgive me but the guy seems straight out crazy. How do you think this helps him as a fighter? Are there any drawbacks to this level of self-grandeur? And is this mindset something that could potentially be adopted by other fighters? Will there be a time when we see craziness coaches in MMA along with BJJ and wrestling ones?

Last edited:
Intellectual caveman...we're starting strong, I like it.

Is it possible for a large organisation that isn't the UFC to make money on MMA? One FC's recent financial figures look pretty daming. Bellator was in the red before the DAZN deal. ACB and M-1 recently had mini-implosions. All the dead organisation that we sadly miss. Is MMA inherently a one-org game?

What damn division does Ben fight in at the UFC?

Woodley being a WW

I really wanna know

What do you think is Iaquinta's ceiling? I strictly believe that he won't rise above where he is currently at, which is inside the top 10. Why? Because his boxing, despite being powerful is limited by his lack of ability to properly fight when he can't dictate the pace of the match.

His defensive wrestling is solid, but his grappling has shown to be a glaring weakness, one that I think will remain, although it's definitely not as bad as it used to be. He's able to survive submission attacks, but against the high level grapplers at 155, I don't see him doing so much as surviving.

Look what happened to Aldo.

Wonderboy would be a fun first fight for Askren.

"They want Khabib's 12 dollars from Reebook" lol<Lmaoo>

Ant's Rant this week is beautiful.

How do we fix commissions? Federalize?

Back