Is MMA now a mainstream sport? | Are you impressed with the advancement of MMA?

Fluency

noun; the quality or condition of being fluent
Banned
Reaction score
(Ladies) and Gentleman, we have come a long way from the days of No-holds-barred fighting, catch wrestling, Vale Tudo, Pancrase, Shooto and PRIDE.

During the Zuffa era, when Zuffa began to monopolise the small market of MMA and then eventually signed a deal with Fox, when A.Silva, GSP, Jones dominated their divisions, we were all urprised.

When high-profile celebrities started attending events regularly, and UFC started appearing on page 12 of B-level newspapers. We thought, this is the most attention this sport will ever receive. And then came the headlines of Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey, the WME sale, the ESPN deal and the integration of MMA in boxing gyms. Then we were all very surprised.

What's next? Can it get even bigger than this? Will there be new stars bigger than McGregor and Rousey?

Discuss... and get some karma, give this thread a like, comment and subscribe. And as always, may the force be with you. /mindsmash

Last edited:
in b4 UFC is dead

They added WMMA and call them professional fighters . Where's the face representing 9 steps backwards

I'm glad we've got those "tags" in the titles, I mean how was I supposed to know that this was a question without it?

i think MMA's gonna be a sport where most people drop in every now and then to watch their favourite fighter, or for highly publicized cards. consistent viewers will eventually grow over time i think

When the average UFC fighters have contracts comparable to average NBA or NFL players then maybe we can say its main stream.

MMA is not a mainstream sport but the UFC has just about made it.

Yea anyone wanting the days of the champ defending 2-3 times a year with contenders getting shots is def gone . They can sell a few PPV's with good numbers but the rest will be crap like we have seen lately . Even contenders are turning down fights left & right , this goofy top 10 crap they got going which makes 0 sense to the way they match fights . Has to be frustrating for guys with 3-5 win streaks , 10 years ago you were getting a title shot 100% off 3-5 win streak now your just some rank 15 asshole .

When the average UFC fighters have contracts comparable to average NBA or NFL players then maybe we can say its main stream.

The money they're on has nothing at all to do with it.
Average boxers get paid nothing, average tennis players, average golfers, average track and field athletes.......

Main stream is about coverage and not what an average athlete makes so the UFC is mainstream as it's no longer covered just by the MMA press and media.

Not even close, lol.

Conor is mainstream. Everything else is Ghetto Fights and Backyard Wrestling.

I'm not impressed because some football asshole that's seen 2-3 McGregor fights and watches youtube highlight reels instead of fights thinks he can fight and is a 'hardcore fan'. And I have to talk to these people on a regular basis at work/the gym when infact they have no idea about anything going on other than strikes being thrown.
'Conor tapped when it wasn't even choking him' 'Triangles dont work dude I would just slam the guy' 'I want to see someone take me down I'm 6'4" 220 lbs" "That was just a lucky KO" "What is this holding against the fence pussy shit, REF SEPARATE THEM!!!"

MMA becoming mainstream has it's pro's and cons.

There will be stars bigger than conor and Rousey but it just depends on how long it takes until they take over.

Back