Ferguson/Khabib being in question is EMBARRASSING

OGfrom2007

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First of all, I am 90% sure that the fight will be next for both men. That said, the mere fact that there is the slightest bit of uncertainty around this is goddamn pathetic for the UFC. A Conor rematch is retarded, a Floyd fight is an even bigger fraud than MayMac, and GSP has never fought at 155 in his career and should stop ducking Woodley if he really wants to compete.

Meanwhile, Tony was interim champ earlier in this same calendar year and was stripped because of injury. Both he and Khabib are on 11 fight winning streaks in the UFC LW division. Both guys just won on the same damn card and are healthy. They're ranked #1 and #2 in the division.

THERE LITERALLY HASN'T BEEN A STRONGER CASE FOR A TITLE FIGHT BETWEEN TWO FIGHTERS IN UFC HISTORY.

It's the fight to make, but the case against it is that the matchup seems to be cursed. 5th time is a charm though.

It's about money.

500-700 k ppv buys for Tony and Khabib

vs

2-3 million for Conor and Khabib 2

100% agreed. This may be the best possible fight In the UFC period . These guys have been the hands down best 2 lws for years .

It's the fight to make, but the case against it is that the matchup seems to be cursed. 5th time is a charm though.

That's not a case against it at all unless you're superstitious. Most reasonable aren't.

Dana White said the Mayweather thing was just Floyd doing his self promotion and the Ferguson is the next fight to make...

So I think the UFC agrees with you.

Indeed. It's hilarious people actually want to see Khabib fight Conor, GSP, Floyd, or anyone else over this fight.

I totally agree with you. Khabib vs Tony has to happen next, I been waiting years and years to see this fight. Anything else would be a HUGE let down and it would be very disappointing. People have their opinions on fighters, but for me Tony/Khabib is the most intriguing fight in a long time and million times more interesting than Khabib/Conor, for me.

Ferguson vs Conor, winner gets Khabib after He fights Mayweather.

It's definitely the fight to make, but that circus was like 10 Brocktobers, 5 Strikeforce Nashvilles, and a UFC 100 rolled into one.

Would watch again.

Would obviously watch Khabib vs Ferguson as well, and it would. be the better fight, but there is a causal in all of us, and.mine wants to see more of that shit!

If you're going to watch the UFC, you better get used to embarrassing..

They’re probably 90% too. But keeping the window open to other option because they as businessmen and promoters have to (but you as a fan don’t).

So if they and you are 90% sure this will be the next fight....what’s the problem exactly?

It's about money.

500-700 k ppv buys for Tony and Khabib

vs

2-3 million for Conor and Khabib 2

There is not a fan alive that doesn't understand that this is the sole reason for there being any question about it. There are also larger considerations for WME and the UFC that need consideration too.

If you bypass what everyone knows is the fight that needs to happen in place of another fight purely for short term financial considerations, have you then cemented the fact that you don't really care about your product truly being recognized as legitimately the top league in the sport of MMA? I mean, maybe you already have and just established that you don't care. Maybe you don't believe this will have that sort of impact. I'm not sure.

I realize this is the same organization the allowed CM Punk to fight on main cards, so most likely you are correct in that short term financial considerations trump all. But at some point, if you are truly wanting to be viewed as a premier SPORTS organization with the best competitors in your sport competing vs each other, you have to "play the long game", so to speak.

Conor vs Nate (or winner of Nate/Dustin if you prefer) does a ton of ppv's. Hell, if you want to "be clever" about it just sell it as a 4 man tourney. Assuming Dustin's injury isn't bad and he and Nate can fight by the end of the year, you can put the winner of that vs Conor and Tony vs Khabib on the same damn card! It would sell a crazy amount of ppv's, Conor's "shine" (even if it's no longer actually deserved from a pure fighting perspective) stays because he is "in the tournament". Khabib is still the champ, Tony the rightful challenger. Winner moves to "the finals" of the tourney. Then winner of Dustin/Nate fights Conor. Winner of that also advances to the "finals" late in 2019.

There is "risk" in leaving $ on the table I guess in that if Conor loses to Dustin/Nate maybe you've lost one more ppv of his that could sell big? But are you really? If you make Conor/Khabib again and Conor gets smashed again, is Conor/Nate for the third time REALLY then going to sell a ton? I'm not sure it would.

2 best Lightweights on the planet, hands down.

Any other fight is a JOKE at this point.

I can't blame the company for being hesitant to promote a fight that has been booked and fallen thru FOUR TIMES ALREADY.

To quote a fellow sherdogger:

It is the fight the MMA mortals all want but the MMA gods won't allow.

They’re probably 90% too. But keeping the window open to other option because they as businessmen and promoters have to (but you as a fan don’t).

So if they and you are 90% sure this will be the next fight....what’s the problem exactly?

I don't know about them being 90%.

If GSP wasn't a lean 183 in the morning (per his own words) and Conor wasn't so busy pushing his whisky then I'm sure percentage would be very different. The reason why I'm 90% sure has nothing to do with what the UFC wishes. Pretty sure anybody with half a brain knows that they'd book Conor/Khabib 2 with alacrity if McGregor was less realistic about his chances in a rematch and didn't have a full plate already.

No different than DC wanting Brock or Bisping passing over the top 10 TWICE to fight Hendo and GSP.

It isn't about who deserves the title shot, it's who brings in the most money.

If you're going to watch the UFC, you better get used to embarrassing..

sadly i realized this in about 2006. you can defend MMA from a philosophical point of view but the match making of the UFC, the promotional strategies used and behavior of some of the fighters along with the often retarded masses of MMA fans leave much to be desired.

Back