What's Frankie Edgar legacy?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I'm little torn on Frankie Edgar. IT feels like something's little lacking to call him a legend, but then again, he was very good, too, but maybe not on par with elites of the sports like GSP, Fedor, Jon Jones, a tier below perhaps.

To this day, I still believe Edgar robbing BJ Penn blind had a lot of impact on how BJ Penn's career played out afterwards possibly, because BJ got robbed hard and then he dropped two in a row.

I consider BJ Penn, one of the best ever to fight in MMA, and though Edgar beat him twice, in my book anyways, I still have hard time Edgar on a higher pedestal than BJ Penn.

In a way, kinda similar to whats his name who beat Hughes twice, but it would be difficult to place him higher than Hughes, but then again that wouldn't do justice to what Edgar was able to accomplish in the sports.

I think Edgar was as good as anyone mixing in strikes with wrestling, and I don't think he gets enough credit for that, how he was able to utilize it so well, blend it so well together, as good as anyone really did, but unfortunately, Aldo probably had one of the best takedown defenses of all time, if not the best so far.

He gave us one of the greatest trilogies of all time, and was a very good fighter who had a long consistent career. Not every fighter is going to be in the goat discussion, some fighters like JDS, Cain, Anthony Johnson, Edgar, these guys that are top level competitors and make great runs in their division are exactly just that.

He is a very good well-rounded athlete, but in terms of the best of the best is a nobody. Would always be remembered as the really tough guy, nothing more.

A tier below GOAT status. Frankie is still a legend, I mean still fighting top level competition at his age is pretty insane.

He won the lightweight title from Penn (albeit controverially) which was huge. Bit of a nearlyman for the rest of his career though which is a big shame. Skipping featherweight and going directly to bantamweight might have been a better option.

Mighty fine hat thrower

Comparing Edgar with Dennis Hallman is a bit ridiculous.
If 145 had been around earlier and Frankie had fought there and not at LW he'd be regarded higher than he is as he'd have dominated it.
He's never a LW and looks like he could probably have gone to 135.
Considering he's been undersized in pretty much every fight he's done pretty well.

If 145 had been around earlier and Frankie had fought there and not at LW he'd be regarded higher than he is as he'd have dominated it.
Considering he's been undersized in pretty much every fight he's done pretty well.
Actually there are a lot of similarities to thier careers weight wise.

Hallman was an unstoppable monster at times at 170, but took a lot of short notice 155 fights and some 185 fights.

Seems like 170 is where he should have fought buyback instead of making sure he was persistent that’s where he would fight he would drain and kill himself to get a check and get werecked over and over again at 55

Frankie is a HOF'er. He wasn't afraid of anyone and his heart and toughness were 2nd to none.

Under-sized fighter that was LW champ, had huge heart, many amazing fights, and beat some of the best. Legend imho.

I said it wouldnt be fair

"A little guy with a big heart". Hollywood gold. Your welcome.

One of the very few guys who actually fought at his natural weight class and did amazingly.

Frankie is a legend in a different sense.

Straight up warrior. He is a very little man with the heart of a lion and always took on much bigger guys. A brave guy who never made excuses and never acted like a douche. Respek.

He's a legend. We're lucky to have watched his career.

He wouldn’t have dominated FW as Jose Aldo has been in that division since the beginning of Edgar’s career.

Top 25 fighters off all Time for sure.

Edgar will be remembered as one of the most well rounded fighters of all time and a top 10 GOAT imo.

Frankie’s the fucking man.

He’s not an all time GOAT but he’s one of the best pound for pound fighters ever. Has he ever fought someone smaller than him?

Also fuck the second benson fight. One of the worst robberies I’ve ever seen

Back