Is There A More Diverse & Durable Fighter Than Tony Ferguson?

UFC178

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For most of us, Tony vs Khabib is the fight we want to see. Conor got his shot, and they'll most likely try to get the rematch done. If that were to happen, at least have Tony and Khabib happen first, and if Khabib wins, let Conor fight him. That's obviously not a guarantee though. I think Tony Ferguson is a much more complete fighter than Conor, Barboza, RDA, and pretty much anybody Khabib has ever faced. So, is there a more diverse and durable fighter (currently) on the UFC roster than Tony Ferguson? It's hard to argue.

He doesn't always have to rock people with punches, he often uses those wing chung techniques and slashes people with his elbows on the feet -
giphy.gif

VhTbydl.gif

92lS.gif

And if he wants, he can KO/Rock fighters standing -

giphy.gif
5_medium.gif

Anthony+Ferguson+Knockouts+Katsunori+Kikuno+UFC+173.gif

DopeyMaleHerald-max-1mb.gif

3No3l.gif

3No4K.gif

Insane knees in the clinch - no idea how RDA ate that
tumblr_og86h5qTIc1u2ragso1_500.gif

Throws a fuck ton of leg kicks and body kicks
giphy.gif

This is where things get interesting:
ZealousExhaustedCrayfish.gif

giphy.gif

wp-1449871615644.gif

tuf3.gif

141_Tony_Ferguson_vs_Kevin_Lee.0.jpg

He's been dropped several times throughout his career, but in order to stop Ferguson, you have to put him out cold.

If there was ever a time to make this fight, it'd be now. Ferguson is more popular than ever, and so is Khabib. No matter how many times it gets booked, it seems like it is the perfect timing. In March 2017, Ferguson beat RDA and Khabib beat Johnson. Then in April 2018, Ferguson was the champ after beating Lee and Khabib just dominated Barboza.

MediocreCrazyGrison-max-1mb.gif

ferguson.PNG
ferguson 21.PNG

GreedyGlassAlbatross-size_restricted.gif

Can you guys think of anybody who's more diverse and durable?

tj dillashaw is close if im honest

still a little snake in the grass

jk

He takes way too much head trauma to last much longer

When you do the babmi dance every fight sooner or later that chin cracks for good

Needs to improve his defense

Gotta love Tony. All the violence. Gonna be a shame when they pass him over again to make the Conor/Kabob rematch and make Tony fight GSP.

Yes, the chord.

I just hope we get to see him finally fight Khabib. He deserves that fight..

Not diverse at all, but Fabio Maldonado is pretty much a zombie in the durability departament

When you consider he fights lhws and hws, its pretty impressive

Not that I am aware of. Tony is definitely one of the first that comes to mind when I think diverse and durable.

Roy Nelson, guy has only been very outmatched in skill by the heaviest hitters in (Jds, Miocic, Overeem, Werdum, Meathead) and has been the only to survive Lewis' Gorilla fists landing clean and has only been KO'd 3 times.

Edit: Never mind, Roy Nelson is probably the least Diverse successful striker in MMA

Nope. One of the best ever to do it. A lot of bitches don't like him for his "personality" like this is the View or some shit but he entertains in octagon like no one else. Wins fight bonus nearly every fight.

Jon Jones, can't stand the guy but he could've quit against Gus and Belfort and nobody would've been able to blame him. He's as durable and crafty as anybody who ever fought

tj dillashaw is close if im honest

still a little snake in the grass

jk
Dillashaw has better wrestling, better defence and better hands. He’s more orthodox, seemingly less crafty on the ground and he’s been stopped on strikes whereas Ferguson just has incredible recovery. And he’s huge for the division without compromising his cardio.

I’d say TJ is more complete but Tony is so unpredictable and awkward. I could see Tony being as successful as TJ with just a bit of luck/finally getting to a title fight.

tony has great wrestling i think he was an all american idk much about tj's wrestling but I saw him get out wrestled by cruz a bit they both p4p greats at the moment though
Tony has ordinary TD’s, and being outwrestled by Cruz doesn’t mean much either. Cruz is an excellent MMA wrestler.

Tony has ordinary TD’s, and being outwrestled by Cruz doesn’t mean much either. Cruz is an excellent MMA wrestler.

i think ferguson is like Justin GayChee (i mess up his last name everytime) he has wrestling but he just never uses it. i dont remember seeing tony trying to take anybody down in the ufc

i think ferguson is like Justin GayChee (i mess up his last name everytime) he has wrestling but he just never uses it. i dont remember seeing tony trying to take anybody down in the ufc

Tony has pretty good wrestling once he gets hold of people. He just hasn't got a great shot, either double (like Chael, Mendes, GSP) or single (Sakuraba or DC)

He's about as diverse as they come. Not sure I'd say he's anywhere near the most durable though. Mentally and in respect to conditioning he's as tough as anyone. His chin though? I don't think so.

He does get people down after he grabs them. His entries are his weak point. And his scrambles are otherworldly.

Back