Kevin Lee's Reach/ should he move up?

Workaholic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I think this is something a lot of people don't realize because Lee is built like a brick shit house but he has crazy long Jon Jones arms on his short but thick LW frame. Well, not that drastic but you get the idea

Kevin Lee is 5'9 with a 77 inch reach.

Here are some fighters he has a longer reach than

LWs: Tony Ferguson: 5'11, 76 inch reach. Khabib Nurmagomedov: 5'10, 70 inch reach. Conor McGregor: 5'9, 74 inch reach. James Vick: 6'3, 76 inch reach. Edson Barboza: 5'11, 75 inch reach.

And so on. Even though he's shorter and thicker than most guys he has a longer reach than even James Vick. It gets even crazier when you look at WWs

WWs: Stephen Thompson: 6 foot, 75 inch reach. Colby covington: 5'11, 72 inch reach. Tyron Woodley: 5'9, 74 inch reach. GSP: 5'11, 76 inch reach. Leon Edwards: 6'2, 74 inch reach. Darren Till: 6 feet, 74 inch reach.

Even at WW it's only Neil Magney's 6'3 lanky ass who has a significantly longer reach. He has a longer reach than both Whittaker and Romero as well as other MW contenders like Gastelum, Jacare etc. He has the same reach as 6'3 middleweight Luke Rockhold

With that kind of reach, the strength we've seen from him and his weight cutting issues likely having negative effects on his chin and his cardio should Kevin Lee move up? I know he's been crying for a 165 class but tbh he'd probably be better off just jumping to 170 immediately. I'm not sure he'd be outsized in any major way and it would really help with some of the current flaws in his game.

I'm pretty sure he's bigger than Colby who is about to fight for the title for one example. He's definitely bigger than RDA a LW who also likes to impose his top game and who had tons of success moving up to WW. And when you consider the issues at the top of LW making it tough to get a title shot right now, it just seems like a good move for everyone involved imo. Win or lose vs Al I think this should be the last time Lee fights at LW

What do you think?

He's destined to move up. He's 25 and the weight cuts will only get harder in the future.

He's missed weight two times already, so after he (Maybe) gets a title shot, go up to WW.

I think this is something a lot of people don't realize because Lee is built like a brick shit house but he has crazy long Jon Jones arms on his short but thick LW frame. Well, not that drastic but you get the idea

LWs: Tony Ferguson: 5'11, 76 inch reach. Khabib Nurmagomedov: 5'10, 70 inch reach. Conor McGregor: 5'9, 74 inch reach. James Vick: 6'3, 76 inch reach. Edson Barboza: 5'11, 75 inch reach.

And so on. Even though he's shorter and thicker than most guys he has a longer reach than even James Vick. It gets even crazier when you look at WWs

WWs: Stephen Thompson: 6 foot, 75 inch reach. Colby covington: 5'11, 72 inch reach. Tyron Woodley: 5'9, 74 inch reach. GSP: 5'11, 76 inch reach. Leon Edwards: 6'2, 74 inch reach. Darren Till: 6 feet, 74 inch reach.

Even at WW it's only Neil Magney's 6'3 lanky ass who has a significantly longer reach. He has a longer reach than both Whittaker and Romero as well as other MW contenders like Gastelum, Jacare etc. He has the same reach as 6'3 middleweight Luke Rockhold

With that kind of reach, the strength we've seen from him and his weight cutting issues likely having negative effects on his chin and his cardio should Kevin Lee move up? I know he's been crying for a 165 class but tbh he'd probably be better off just jumping to 170 immediately. I'm not sure he'd be outsized in any major way and it would really help with some of the current flaws in his game.

I'm pretty sure he's bigger than Colby who is about to fight for the title for one example. He's definitely bigger than RDA a LW who also likes to impose his top game and who had tons of success moving up to WW. And when you consider the issues at the top of LW making it tough to get a title shot right now, it just seems like a good move for everyone involved imo. Win or lose vs Al I think this should be the last time Lee fights at LW

What do you think?

Lee is not moving up. He is more likely to beat Khabib than Woodley if he ever gets a title shot.

Artem should move to FLW with dat reach. Dude is Kyle Maynard with legs.

What do you think?

hK24h4

Lee is not moving up. He is more likely to beat Khabib than Woodley if he ever gets a title shot.

He can barely make the weight though and it's badly fucking up his performances when he does make it.

And it's almost impossible to get a shot at LW right now with Khabib probably getting suspended, the UFC possible wanting to give Conor a rematch, Tony deserving a shot WAY more than Kevin etc.

I think his best weight class is 155, unless the weight cut is the reason he seems to get rocked so often I don't see him doing better at 170.

If he misses weight again, he should most definitely be forced to move up.

I think his best weight class is 155, unless the weight cut is the reason he seems to get rocked so often I don't see him doing better at 170.

I think it is though. He gets dropped in damn near every single fight I think some of that has to be the weight cut

He's not getting KO'd cold but it seems like he loses his balance every time he takes a clean shot. His chin can't be outright bad or that Barboza kick would have killed him, but it's definitely really shaky and I think that's a side effect of a massive weight cut

Tony(another LW giant) has the same thing. Cuts a ton of weight, never gets KO'd, gets dropped and loses his balance in almost every single fight

I think it is though. He gets dropped in damn near every single fight I think some of that has to be the weight cut

He's not getting KO'd cold but it seems like he loses his balance every time he takes a clean shot. His chin can't be outright bad or that Barboza kick would have killed him, but it's definitely really shaky and I think that's a side effect of a massive weight cut

Tony(another LW giant) has the same thing. Cuts a ton of weight, never gets KO'd, gets dropped and loses his balance in almost every single fight

It's possible, some guys do better fighting guys that are bigger like Dan Henderson and some do worse. Generally I don't like grapplers going up in weight cause it's much harder to grapple when someone's 15lbs bigger.

From off the top of my head lees been
Dropped by tony
Dropped by al
Nearly KO’d by barboza
Tko’d by santos
Hurt bad twice by trinaldo

From off the top of my head lees been
Dropped by tony
Dropped by al
Nearly KO’d by barboza
Tko’d by santos
Hurt bad twice by trinaldo