Khabib vs Tony - Cardio & Finishing Ability

WheelOfLife

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
A few questions that I think could play a factor in the outcome of this fight are:

Did Khabib reduce his pace in the 3rd-ish rounds of his last few fights because he had to, or because he could?

If Khabib does tire more than Tony, can Tony actually finish him?

If this fight goes into the later rounds, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony more active, but it's hard to see him putting Khabib away. The guy's never been in trouble for even a minute in any of his UFC fights, and even if he drops the championship rounds to Tony I've got to think Khabib winning the first 3 is likely.

IF there's a finish, I see it being along the lines of round 1 of Lee vs Tony (which I realize wasn't a finish, but close...just rewatched it, great fight). Tony can sub just about anybody in the division not named Khabib.

Ferg has the best chance of beating Khabib in the division, but I don't think it will be enough. Unless Khabib gasses as hard as staph-Kevin Lee, which we have no reason to expect, I think he wins one way or another. Tony really does have near-GOAT cardio and an amazing ability to recover, but Khabib just doesn't get into trouble - on the feet, on the ground, or with his energy.

Also curious to see how Khabib uses his jab, and how Tony responds.

Pleeeease just fight already.

Last edited:
You seem to forget Tony Has 3 losses. One is a UD loss to Michael Johnson.......Who Khabib beat.........

Tony way better cardio and way better finishing.

If you match Khabib in cardio and have heart he can only beat you in a decision.

A few questions that I think could play a factor in the outcome of this fight are:

Did Khabib reduce his pace in the 3rd-ish rounds of his last few fights because he had to, or because he could?

If this fight goes into the later rounds, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony more active, but it's hard to see him putting Khabib away. The guy's never been in trouble for even a minute in any of his UFC fights, and even if he drops the championship rounds to Tony I've got to think Khabib winning the first 3 is likely.

IF there's a finish, I see it being along the lines of round 1 of Lee vs Tony (which I realize wasn't a finish, but close...just rewatched it, great fight). Tony can sub just about anybody in the division not named Khabib.

Ferg has by far the best chance of beating Khabib in the division, but I don't think it will be enough. Unless Khabib gasses as hard as staph-Kevin Lee, which we have no reason to expect, I think he wins one way or another. Tony really does have near-GOAT cardio and an amazing ability to recover, but Khabib just doesn't get into trouble - on the feet, on the ground, or with his energy.

The Pat Healy fight is a good indicator imo...

You seem to forget Tony Has 3 losses. One is a UD loss to Michael Johnson.......Who Khabib beat.........

Why are we talking about a fight from 2012 and 2009?? How is that of any relevance today considering Tony has beaten much better fighters than Johnson and his other losses?? It's like people were criticizing RDA for losing to guys like Guida and Griffin and then he goes on a tear and wins the belt.

Fighters improve over time.

Last edited:
No mma math man.

What is you actual opinion?

My opinion is the same as it was when people were saying Conor would KTFO Khabib.......not gonna happen.......T Ferg is just another statistic for Khabib.

This fight is going to happen soon

Tony’s reliance on scrambling his way out of danger (both on the feet and on the ground) is not going to work against Khabib’s constant pressure. Khabib UD.

And Khabib has beaten Conor.........so what......

So what? So the point is that Tony's losses to Michael Johnson and some guys named Jamie Toney and Karen Derabedya have no relevance today considering those fights were 6 an 9 years ago and the fact that he was able to beat guys like RDA, Barbosa, Pettis, Thomson and Kevin Lee shows how much better he is now.

tony has more cardio, heart, finishing ability,weapons.
Imagine how crazy hes gonna be in a 5round fight for the title. were gonna see an even more ruthless,crazy tony ferguson

Ferg has by far the best chance of beating Khabib in the division, but I don't think it will be enough. Unless Khabib gasses as hard as staph-Kevin Lee, which we have no reason to expect, I think he wins one way or another. Tony really does have near-GOAT cardio and an amazing ability to recover, but Khabib just doesn't get into trouble - on the feet, on the ground, or with his energy.

You do have your good points but still none of them show me any evidence Tony can do anything different to Khabib than any other. Sure his style is far different than any other fighter Khabib has fought to date BUT its also a style Khabib wouldn't mind in that Tonys pressure actually will save Khabib lots of trouble finding him. In that means Khabib needs to use less energy off the bat to take the fight to Tony ,needing to use less energy to pressure him. Khabib would take Tony down and keep him there. Everyone thinks they have the style to beat Khabib and know the secret and all of them fail. The only one who will ever give Khabib an issue is GSP and thats because his size will matter and hes the best American style MMA wrestler we've seen to date so it would be far more intriguing. Tony is great but hes never been drained by another fighter the way Khabib is capable of doing.

Khabibs team said they planned to take round 3 off ... depending on how rounds 1 and 2 went and since round 2 was thought to have been a 10-8 for Khabib (better than expected) and he had felt Conors power and was fine according to him, as well knowing Conor wasnt going to throw much at all because he was waiting to be taken down. Then in the 4th Khabib was fully charged and destroyed Conor.

Tony vs Khabib would be a GREAT fight and should happen. Unfortunately I think Khabib wins a decision

Last edited:
So what? So the point is that Tony's losses to Michael Johnson and some guys named Jamie Toney and Karen Derabedya have no relevance today considering those fights were 6 an 9 years ago and the fact that he was able to beat guys like RDA, Barbosa, Pettis, Thomson and Kevin Lee shows how much better he is now.

And Khabib being undefeated means less?

That dude is a legitimately deranged Khabib fan. Very defensive and accusatory. It's weird.

tony has more cardio, heart, finishing ability,weapons.
Imagine how crazy hes gonna be in a 5round fight for the title. were gonna see an even more ruthless,crazy tony ferguson

And and Khabib will get KTFO'd by Conor..........

That dude is a legitimately deranged Khabib fan. Very defensive and accusatory. It's weird.

If you are talking about me you are wrong. I am a fan of real fighters like Cyborg, DC, and Khabib. Not fake UFC shills like Conor and Ronda.

I've watched Tony vs Lee multiple times. If you honestly think Lee was anywhere near finishing Tony...SMH, please go watch it again. This time open your eyes. Lee has mount, but lands only a few good shots with his gnp. At the end of the round, just before the bell rings, Tony actually gets guard back. Again, go rewatch it...again. And watch Tony get up, he is 100% fine and has a bounce in his step while Lee actually looks tired (yes, I know, staph).

As for Khabib slowing in round 3 vs Conor. There is zero chance he WANTED to slow down. He went all out trying to finish at the end of rd 2, and needed a breather. That does NOT mean Khabib has shitty cardio. It means he uses a lot of energy to implement his gameplan, and REALLY used a lot at the end of rd 2. But...he doesn't have Tony-level cardio, or anywhere close. Look how he also slowed vs Iaquinta. Even Barboza, who had been beaten up pretty badly, was able to get out from under Khabib with about a minute left in their fight and finished the fight standing and trying land the hail mary strike. Khabib didn't "allow" that to happen, he was tired. Against most guys, doesn't matter. Against Tony...we'll see. Tony so far has shown his cardio to be better than good. Hell, better than great. Maybe the best I've seen in my 19 years following the sport.

Can Tony finish a fatigued Khabib? Absolutely. Will he? That's something I hope we get to find out. Khabib is the best 2 round figher I've ever seen. He's unstoppable when fresh. But when cardio does come into play, that's another story vs a guy like Tony. He is RELENTLESS. And when he senses his opponent slowing, he is like a shark that smells blood.

Last edited:
Back