First UFC Card on ESPN

Matthew Fedler

Professional Fighter
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Do we expect to mark the historic event with a major championship headliner, the same way Cain vs JDS for the HW title headlined the first FOX card?

I doubt they would waste a major PPV draw like Conor or Lesnar, but I do expect a big fight on January 19th.

Henry Cejudo vs TJ Dillashaw
Tyron Woodley vs Colby Covington
Rose Namajunas vs Jessica Andrade
Robert Whittaker vs Kelvin Gastelum

My guess is TJ vs Cejudo: Champion vs Champion, an Olympic Gold Medalist, but neither are significant PPV draws.

I’d expect something epic...

I remember the first card on FX1

Shit was dope:

03263997-521C-486F-910A-33BE2AAD46E9.jpeg

The first Fox card was legendary..

24awkward_ufconfox_joerogan.gif

DismalScaredHare-max-1mb.gif

I would more be inclined to think they do Woodley Covington. I don’t think ufc wants this whole champ vs champ thing anymore so no Dillashaw vs cejudo. It causes too much of a headache, I reckon cyborg vs Nunez is the last one they do for awhile.

I doubt Dillashaw vs Cejudo would headline a free card even though it would a good idea.

Maybe more something like Gaethje vs Ferguson or Barboza

Weren't they trying to make Wonderboy vs Lawler? Not sure it was headliner though.

I doubt Dillashaw vs Cejudo would headline a free card even though it would a good idea.

If Ferguson's next fight is vs Gaethje then this #1 bs. TJ vs Cejudo or Woodley vs Covington make sense, they have potential to be good fights that people might not be willing to pay to see so why not air them on espn

I know they reported a few months ago that Wonderboy/Lawler was in discussion for that first card. Maybe Romero/Costa?

I know they reported a few months ago that Wonderboy/Lawler was in discussion for that first card. Maybe Romero/Costa?
Romero/Costa will be co main. Neither speak English, so the ESPN promo tour might be a problem.

I would more be inclined to think they do Woodley Covington. I don’t think ufc wants this whole champ vs champ thing anymore so no Dillashaw vs cejudo. It causes too much of a headache, I reckon cyborg vs Nunez is the last one they do for awhile.
I don’t know if they would risk putting that fight on ESPN after the brawl at 229 honestly. It will not be a good look for the UFC if Colby keeps up his MAGA persona (he was just suspended from Twitter for calling Khabib an ethnic slur).

I wouldn’t have expected Cain vs JDS to headline a free card either, but the UFC wanted to begin their FOX run with a bang and I suspect it will be the same with ESPN. Gaethje vs Ferguson or Barboza is an awesome fight, but not quite on the level of Cain vs JDS.

I also don’t think TJ vs Cejudo is a PPV draw on its own, so they wouldn’t be missing out on a lot of revenue either.

There better be flames behind a flexing fighter.

That's all I got to say about that.

They definitely gotta bring the heat to announce their presence with authority

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back