Chael Sonnen claims the fight against Fedor was close, and why he didnt quit.

capo245

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
According to Sonnen he knew he was wearing out Fedor.
He also explains that he was rocked from the first knock down for most of the fight.

Chael almost beat Fedor, Anderson and Jones.

Chael Sonnen, the Almost-GOAT.

Last edited:
But he did quit. He rolled to his side and turtled up like loads of guys who look down on tapping out do.

LOL

Chael going the Dom Cruz, McG vs Khabib route.

"I was wearing him out by letting him beat the living shit outta me."

Fedor hit Chael so hard that he briefly forgot he was throwing the fight and took Fedors back

at least he's still undefeated/undisputed.

Not sure if trolling or CTE.
He's doing a little trolling, and even added the caveat that it is completely possible that he just remembers the fight being different than it was. If you've ever been a bit out of it in a fight, that is exactly what happens. Also, he's Chael. Adding a little levity to what is a hard thing to talk about. I just appreciate that he's a guy who can talk about his losses in an at least semi-candid nature.

So now people do not turtle up. They just wear people down.

Personally I think it was an early stoppage considering Chael wasn’t really hurt and the amount of time left in the round, getting to the bell was an intelligent defense given the circumstances. Not saying he would have won when I say that.

It’s a dumb idea if someone is unloading on you and simply keeping your forearms up in front of your face is keeping you safe that you should have to do something else or lose. When a guy is defending a submission by simply holding his opponents arm or something the ref doesn’t tell him to do something or else he’s gonna call it.

If a guy is out of it mentally, that’s different than what I am talking about. The ref should be looking at the fighters condition, not just if he is “turtled up”. Sometimes that is the best defense. Especially if your opponent is not adjusting his offense to get you to open up. Why not let him exhaust himself if he isn’t doing any significant damage?

That fight lived up to the billing in the first 10 seconds.
It was worth it for this gem alone.
OddballPlainCowbird-small.gif

And i don't know if Chael was pastier than usual but he somehow looked whiter than normal with the extra pudge.

Personally I think it was an early stoppage considering Chael wasn’t really hurt and the amount of time left in the round, getting to the bell was an intelligent defense given the circumstances. Not saying he would have won when I say that.

It’s a dumb idea if someone is unloading on you and simply keeping your forearms up in front of your face is keeping you safe that you should have to do something else or lose. When a guy is defending a submission by simply holding his opponents arm or something the ref doesn’t tell him to do something or else he’s gonna call it.

If a guy is out of it mentally, that’s different than what I am talking about. The ref should be looking at the fighters condition, not just if he is “turtled up”. Sometimes that is the best defense. Especially if your opponent is not adjusting his offense to get you to open up. Why not let him exhaust himself if he isn’t doing any significant damage?

Posts like this make me wish they didn't have a referee in that fight. I mean, it's hard to knock out Chael Sonnen because he's not hesitant to call it a day when things doesn't go his way, and it's possible Chael tapped to strikes once again.

According to Chael and his fans, Chael was wearing out Fedor by letting him punch himself in the face. I mean, *gasp* look at the damage Chael's face has done to Fedor's fist! That, fragile, soft, Russian fist!

I like chael but his trolling stops being funny when it gets too obvious

That fight lived up to the billing in the first 10 seconds.
It was worth it for this gem alone.
OddballPlainCowbird-small.gif

And i don't know if Chael was pastier than usual but he somehow looked whiter than normal with the extra pudge.
Sonnen has a pretty awesome chin!

He has no heart. Never comes back from adversity.

Back