What was UFC like before the Conor McGregor era?

Gladiator24

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The last 6 years has been purely dominated by one man, Conor McGregor. He has run UFC for 6 years and gained new fans for UFC like myself.

But what was UFC like before Conor McGregor? I didn't use to hear it in mainstream media. Was it as hyped up as it is now.

I got UFC fight pass last week so been watching some old events, and it looked ok but the main events I watched for the huge events like rashad vs rampage were 3 rounds why was that?

The atmosphere still looked good back then but I'm guessing the hype surrounding a fight wasn't what it's like now.

Watch PRIDE, Affliction and the last 3 years of Strikeforce. That was the Golden Era in my opinion (2000-2012).

member%20berries.png
It was a better place back then

We had actual goats

Like GSP and Anderson in their primes.

Last edited:
Dying......

Nah just kidding.

McGregor fights are the most exciting things to ever happen to MMA but there has been some negative by products, Sherdog turning into more of a hate filled cesspit is one of them.

It was more MMA, less twitter and instagram.

Fighters said mostly fight related shit in the buildups.

Then Ronda came.... it all started to fall appart with WMMA, not with McGregor.

McGregor realized that social media finally started paying attention and capitalized by becoming half Mohammad Ali half David Beckam.

people are gonna say worse because they're bitter about conor's success or anything conor related.

the only thing he made worse is that now a bunch of dudes are trying to act like him, or force fake, cringy trash talk, or trying to get money fights they don't deserve. but that's kind of on them for trying to fake shit and thinking they're worth more than they are, i wouldn't say it's conor's fault directly, idk man.

truth is conor haters love the conor era, because they're obsessed with him and without him they'd have nothing to talk about.

Last edited:
For me personally don't care past era.... just want to see more exciting fights the boring 20 min arm pit sniffing should be limited to 2 mins. If you can't get it done then like in Boxing break fighters apart reset and start in stand-up.

Basically I want to see more of this........

Explore fighting in continuous movement, patterns and styles not just ground pounding!

Heck mix it up add some Wing Chun, Capoeira, Taekwondo, Boxing, Muay Thai .....whatever to make for good entertainment.

Here there is an entire history of various skills to experiment with.......... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_martial_arts ;)

Last edited:
It was a bleak, windswept plain. It was an old black and white movie - no color, no sound. It was a place where the children didn't play, where they didn't laugh. It was what the men who experienced it call the Beforetime.

Well there was a time when youd have to go to a bar hours before the main event to even get a seat. That ended years before conor got big.

people are gonna say worse because they're bitter about conor's success or anything conor related.

the only thing he made worse is that now a bunch of dudes are trying to act like him, or force fake, cringy trash talk, or trying to get money fights they don't deserve.

truth is conor haters love the conor era, because they're obsessed with him and without him they'd have nothing to talk about.
tenor.gif

Belts had more meaning
people didn't always brag about money and shit like that
much less lame match ups

some of it is WME though not just Conor

AS REAL AS IT GETS!!!

But yeah it was definitely a lot better. I blame WME more than I blame Conor

The highlights of pre-Conor UFC for me:

Watching Machida's rise in the LHW division

Jon Jones' whole fightography, minus the OSP fight

Anderson Silva's reign over the MW division

Dustin Poirier vs Korean Zombie

Brock Lesnar's stint in the UFC

Bitching about Cain Velasquez brown pride tattoo and on how he wasn't Mexican but American.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back