Question for the "GSP has earned the right to pick his fights" Argument.

Hades86

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Why does GSP have the right to cherry pick easy fights when other GOATs couldn't ? What makes him so special over everyone else?

Fedor went close to 10 years undefeated at HW and was clearly out of his Prime (Fat and Bald) but was still called a coward for not fighting in the UFC even though he was still fighting Legit Comp in SF. No way fans thought he could pick and choose easy fights.

Anderson was the Undisputed UFC GOAT back in 07-09 and wanted the GSP fight, the same fans that were crying about Anderson "Bullying" GSP and Picking on smaller fighters are now the same fans rooting on GSP for his easy fights.

MM had 11 title defenses and touted as GOAT by the UFC and WAS STILL called out by MMA fans for ducking TJ.

I have been around MMA forums for awhile now and I have NEVER heard MMA fans claim a fighter has earned the right to pick and choose easy fights.... Except for GSP. I don't get it... If Fedor/Anderson/MM/Jones/Conor/Anyone else can't..... GSP Can't.

Thanks for reading, my gift to you.

GSP is pretty much retired. He wants big fights or no fights at all. I dont see the problem. Then again I didnt call Anderson or Fedor cowards either. I guess only really brave and intelligent people do that.

Anderoidz & Juicehead Jones are automatically disqualified out of GOAT talks due to being multiple PED cheat fails, but Fedor and Mighty Mouse are fair enough arguments.

TBF, should Fedor whip Bader and win this Tourney upcoming, I would not bag on him in the slightest if he took an easy fight or two before retiring. Dude is an absolute beast.

Mighty Mouse' main issues is the weight class he's competing in.

Fedor went on like a 5 year sabbatical of fighting the Maldonados and Singh Jaideeps of the world and Anderson fought Nick Diaz. They got to pick easy money making fights too.

Anderoidz & Juicehead Jones are automatically disqualified out of GOAT talks due to being multiple PED cheat fails, but Fedor and Mighty Mouse are fair enough arguments.

TBF, should Fedor whip Bader and win this Tourney upcoming, I would not bag on him in the slightest if he took an easy fight or two before retiring. Dude is an absolute beast.

in 07 nobody new about Anderson's Roiding and plenty of fans were shitting on him for trying to fight GSP. Even then, he wasn't allowed to pick and choose his fights. He wanted to fight Bisping over Weidman and the fans were pissed.

Why does GSP have the right to cherry pick easy fights when other GOATs couldn't ? What makes him so special over everyone else?

Fedor went close to 10 years undefeated at HW and was clearly out of his Prime (Fat and Bald) but was still called a coward for not fighting in the UFC even though he was still fighting Legit Comp in SF. No way fans thought he could pick and choose easy fights.

Anderson was the Undisputed UFC GOAT back in 07-09 and wanted the GSP fight, the same fans that were crying about Anderson "Bullying" GSP and Picking on smaller fighters are now the same fans rooting on GSP for his easy fights.

MM had 11 title defenses and touted as GOAT by the UFC and WAS STILL called out by MMA fans for ducking TJ.

I have been around MMA forums for awhile now and I have NEVER heard MMA fans claim a fighter has earned the right to pick and choose easy fights.... Except for GSP. I don't get it... If Fedor/Anderson/MM/Jones/Conor/Anyone else can't..... GSP Can't.

Because GSP is retired and the UFC needs him more than he needs them if they want to have more than 1 or 2 big sellers a year. He doesn't need to fight and will only do so if it suits him. Calling the Bisping fight an "easy cherry picked fight" is absurd though for many reasons I've stated multiple times before.

As for Fedor the only people who were calling him a "coward" were UFC fans. MMA fans were well aware that Strikeforce had the superior talent pool at HW during that time.

I wouldn't call Fedor a coward. I think MM is the second GOAT. I don't think that GSP has taken any easy fights. Bisping was certainly not an easy fight. He was the favorite to win. Maybe he wasn't the best MW in the world. But an easy fight he was not.

What easy fight has GSP picked? Khabib is not an easy fight by any means.

Cmon man, stop with the Anderoid stuff. He snapped his leg in half. He needed to heal.

GSP is pretty much retired. He wants big fights or no fights at all. I dont see the problem. Then again I didnt call Anderson or Fedor cowards either. I guess only really brave and intelligent people do that.
Great response.

GSP walked away as the GOAT after some knee injuries and obviously losing a half step through his last few fights. If he wants to come back and bank on his name then who cares. It’s not like he’s talking about fighting cans or anything.

Why does GSP have the right to cherry pick easy fights

I stopped reading at that point as it's bullshit, who knows maybe the rest of the post improved but I doubt it.

GSP isn't a matchmaker, the UFC make the fights. How hard is that to understand.
GSP vs Bisping was the biggest fight the UFC could make with Bisping.
If GSP vs Khabib happens it's the 2nd biggest fight they could make for Khabib behind Conor 2.

For fuck's sake with the picking fights stuff.
He wants to fight McGregor and Khabib, both considered some of the best, not some 1-3 in UFC can...
He is a WW after all who can go down at LW
Conor fought at WW too, he is a big fighter
Khabib could easily fight at WW

I wouldn't call Fedor a coward. I think MM is the second GOAT. I don't think that GSP has taken any easy fights. Bisping was certainly not an easy fight. He was the favorite to win. Maybe he wasn't the best MW in the world. But an easy fight he was not.

What easy fight has GSP picked? Khabib is not an easy fight by any means.

The answer is none, GSP has had the toughest strength of schedule of any fighter in all of MMA.

That's simple. He's a semi-retired fighter, probably has 2 or 3 fights left at best, and he still generates hype (and money) when he fights.

The UFC gives him lucrative fights against big names (and both GSP and the UFC earns a shitload of money), or they "force" him to fight nobodies and he retires for good. At 37yo, he's not interested in a title run and defending a belt anymore (been there, done that, for 10years+), and he won't fight for peanuts with fighters who can't even sell a PPV to save their own life.

Give him the most lucrative fights or he's gone. I'd do the same if I was him and still had the star-power he was.

You guys are expecting him to pursue his carrer like if he was a 25yo UFC newcomer who has to prove something.

Last edited:
The answer is none, GSP has had the toughest strength of schedule of any fighter in all of MMA.
I agree with half of this.

GSP picked NO easy fights. But I think as far as strength of schedule that Hendo has GSP covered. Sonnen is right up there too. Obviously neither were anywhere near as successful.

Didnt Anderson Silva fight Nick Diaz and got a pass for it??

Didnt Fedor fight HMC, and Matt Lindland??

Difference is GSP isnt doing it in his Prime

Cmon man, stop with the Anderoid stuff. He snapped his leg in half. He needed to heal.

He popped more than once. Sorry man.

These guys can claim "dick pills" and "tainted supplements" all day, but if you pop more than once, you will always have a permanent * next to your name.

He popped more than once. Sorry man.

These guys can claim "dick pills" and "tainted supplements" all day, but if you pop more than once, you will always have a permanent * next to your name.

He's still real to me dammit!!

Didnt Anderson Silva fight Nick Diaz and got a pass for it??

Didnt Fedor fight HMC, and Matt Lindland??

Difference is GSP isnt doing it in his Prime

Fedor fought Valavicius, Zulu, Lindland, Ogawa, Nagata, Fujita, TK, Choi...

Anderson fought Diaz as you say. Jones fought Chael and Vitor. And so it goes.

He's the goat. Avenged all his losses. Fought for way less back in the day. Helped build the Sport.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back