Coach Kav on Pettis fight - "He absolutely could"...

TheRealWill

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
..."but he absolutely won't"

This was from the recent Joe Rogan podcast. Rogan asked the question that I'll ask u to answer...."is Conor a victim of his own success"? He elaborated, to paraphrase....Is he so big that every fight has to be a mega fight? When ur that big can u really go and have a few tune up fights to get back on track. I'm sure if Conor went to the ufc and asked to fight Anthony Pettis n earn his way back to the title, they would most definitely give him whoever else he wants.

Coach replied that Conor could, but absolutely will not. He's obsessed with Khabib rematch like he was with Diaz. He said he didn't think Diaz rematch was a good idea personally and tried to talk Conor out of it, same with this, but he's hard headed.

In closing, is Conor a victim of his own success in that he can't fight his way to the title, thus getting his timing, rhythm, and accuracy in peak form? Also, what are some fights u feel we have or will be cheated out of because of how big he is.

I'd personally love to see him vs Pettis. That would be a striking clinic not seen since lyoto vs Shogun. Him vs Iaquinta, Ferg, and Masvidal all sound like fireworks too.

Pettis would be dangerous for Conor. I'd stay away from that fight.

Crazy how things change in this sport. Pettis was the man back in the day and Conor was a nobody. Now Conor has zero interet in fighting the guy.

UFCPoster185.gif
0OwMNYm.jpg

The Nurmagomedov rematch does three million PPV buys for McGregor. Much more appetizing than giving Pettis a red panty night.

Conor needs to get in line.

Dude is spoiled beyond belief.

Title shots out the ass for this guy....

Fucking earn one.

Only one he earned was at FW and he didnt give the FW GOAT a rematch.

What makes this dude so special?

Man TS has taen some tricks from MMA Journalism, take pieces from JRE and make articles a week later. Pathetic.

This is what happens when someone is continuously given what they want and not kept in check. If Dana/WME have any amount of balls in this situation, Conor's next fight will not be a title fight. Pettis or Aldo would be a good start while Khabib fights Ferguson.

His best interest would be fighting Pettis...as a fighter

Good thread.

I'm a Conor fan but i'm all in for the Khabib vs Ferguson fight. Tony just deserves this!
But is it even possible for Conor to get a tune up fight?
In the Top 10 he could fight poirier, Lee, barboza, gaethje, Pettis, iaguinta or chiesa. Death row and Not a Single fight to get your mojo back. I think thats why Pettis fell so hard.

With no Khabib rematch Conor can either go full paycheck Mode and fight Silva, Floyd, Paulie or Nate. None of that will get him closer to Khabib.
Or he can work himself back up on the ladder. Fighting Poirier or Lee on Fox or in a Co Main? Who believes that?

UFC is a business, Conor makes the most money for the business, so it's pretty simple.

I agree that it's lame but Conor Khabib 2 will be bigger than the first, those few strikes he landed in the third will be enough to hack together a promo.

Even as a fan of Conor (fight style) I'd rather see him face someone like Pettis before going back to face Khabib, while Khabib can face Ferg or Porier.

Conor needs to get in line.

Dude is spoiled beyond belief.

Title shots out the ass for this guy....

Fucking earn one.

Only one he earned was at FW and he didnt give the FW GOAT a rematch.

He brings in the dough, what's not to understand? Plenty of less popular fighters have been giving countless oppurtinities as well (Pettis for example) but with Conor it makes sense.

If they have a rematch and Conor wins... instant rematch again for the trilogy? 3 PPVs that would out do the entire other PPVs for the year. Nah the UFC wouldn't be interested in that would they

Is that supposed to be me, a butthurt Conor fan? His haters r just as bad if not worse than his dick riders.
THAT IS COACH kAV CRYING WITH HIS FAKE SMILE IF IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND

Good thread.

I'm a Conor fan but i'm all in for the Khabib vs Ferguson fight. Tony just deserves this!
But is it even possible for Conor to get a tune up fight?
In the Top 10 he could fight poirier, Lee, barboza, gaethje, Pettis, iaguinta or chiesa. Death row and Not a Single fight to get your mojo back. I think thats why Pettis fell so hard.

With no Khabib rematch Conor can either go full paycheck Mode and fight Silva, Floyd, Paulie or Nate. None of that will get him closer to Khabib.
Or he can work himself back up on the ladder. Fighting Poirier or Lee on Fox or in a Co Main? Who believes that?
Is that a typo?

Everyting else sounds accurate.
Even if conor gets his immediate title rematch, I really hope the do khabib vs Tony while conor is just inactive.

Yeah that really pained me to hear Kavanagh say as much as we all knew it. There are so many good fights for him that arent Khabib or Nate, but he is 100% going to refuse them.

Conor is actually a fantastic fighter, we saw that in his come-up. He just hasnt had an easy fight on paper since, bar maybe Eddie. I wish he would take a tune up fight to remind everyone he isnt overrated, stay active and get his confidence back

High risk low reward.

If anybody doesn't think that Conor has chance of losing to guys like Pettis, Lee and Barboza then they're deluded.

Then again. Conor vs Pettis and/or vs Barboza are dynamite fights to make.

He brings in the dough, what's not to understand? Plenty of less popular fighters have been giving countless oppurtinities as well (Pettis for example) but with Conor it makes sense.

What opportunities has Pettis been given that are comparable to Conor?

I think people are arguing that Conor gets things he hasn't earned. What has Pettis been given? He fought Michael Chiesa two fights ago lol

Back