Is Moicano Ortega 2 the Fight to Make After Holloway, Win or Lose?

Arrrrgh

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I've been overlooking Moicano.

I started rewatching T-City fights though and stopped here. I missed this fight the first time around, buried second on the prelims of a pretty huge ufc 214 card. Ortega was dominated for 13 minutes in striking. Moicano just started opening up with leg kicks in round 3 and looked loose. Then he went for a takedown. And Ortega was looking to sink the guillotine in before they were on the ground and all that was left was locking in the body triangle.

The crazy part is Moicano didn't need a takedown and Ortega's corner was pleading with him to get a takedown.

In the rematch I got Moicano. He was dominant in that fight up until he got caught.

Hopefully we get to see Moicano Aldo or Moicano Edgar in the interim.

first of all, moicano didn't dominate ortega in the standup, that fight was a super competitive back n forth scrap.

second, moicano has to get past mendes if they do make that fight.

third, theres a couple fights that could be made depending on who wins the upcoming matchups, mendes could get it if he beats moicano, moicano could if he beats mendes, aldo could if ortega wins, aldo vs ortega if ortega loses, etc etc. theres so many possibilities atm.

no. Moicano vs Aldo is the fight to make
Agreed, I meant specifically the next fight for Ortega win or lose after the holloway fight though. That gives Moicano a fight to make in the interim and Aldo or Edgar would both be great.

first of all, moicano didn't dominate ortega in the standup, that fight was a super competitive back n forth scrap.

IDK what fight you were watching. Moicano tagged him with combinations all fight. For every one shot ortega landed Moicano landed 3 and finished with a kick. Ortega moved forward almost the whole fight but he was pieced apart striking.

That said, Mendes would be a good fight too.

IDK what fight you were watching. Moicano tagged him with combinations all fight. For every one shot ortega landed Moicano landed 3 and finished with a kick. Ortega moved forward almost the whole fight but he was pieced apart striking.

That said, Mendes would be a good fight too.
i watched the same fight, and i'm not sure where this narrative came from that moicano dominated.

yeah he might have been ahead, but he didn't dominate at all, that fight was very back n forth.

hell, if i remember correctly the reason moicano shot in the 3rd is because ortega started tagging him nicely.

i watched the same fight, and i'm not sure where this narrative came from that moicano dominated.

yeah he might have been ahead, but he didn't dominate at all, that fight was very back n forth.

hell, if i remember correctly the reason moicano shot in the 3rd is because ortega started tagging him nicely.
I think he just went for the TDD after he secured one at the end of RD2 without much issue. It was kind of a half effort single leg though so he may not have actually cared about landing it so much as getting ortega to think about it.

Either way, you are right that Ortega was landing his shots too, they were just few and far between Moicano's output. Moicano's combinations were giving Ortega serious problems. And he stuffed Ortega's takedown attempt at the start of rd3 and a half assed single leg attempt about a minute later...

I'll back off "dominant" and say he clearly won both rd1 and 2 and was ahead in 3.

How do you think the rematch goes?

I think he just went for the TDD after he secured one at the end of RD2 without much issue. It was kind of a half effort single leg though so he may not have actually cared about landing it so much as getting ortega to think about it.

Either way, you are right that Ortega was landing his shots too, they were just few and far between Moicano's output. Moicano's combinations were giving Ortega serious problems. And he stuffed Ortega's takedown attempt at the start of rd3 and a half assed single leg attempt about a minute later...

I'll back off "dominant" and say he clearly won both rd1 and 2 and was ahead in 3.

How do you think the rematch goes?
lol honestly i don't know how to predict any ortega fight, because he loses like every fight til he doesn't.

If Ortega loses and Moicano and Frankie win then Moicano vs Frankie is the fight to make if Frankie doesn't get a shot, if Max vacates then is Moicano vs Ortega 2 no doubt.

If Ortega loses and Moicano and Frankie win then Moicano vs Frankie is the fight to make if Frankie doesn't get a shot, if Max vacates then is Moicano vs Ortega 2 no doubt.
So you think Frankie is deserving of a shot against the winner of Ortega Holloway over Moicano right now?

third, theres a couple fights that could be made depending on who wins the upcoming matchups, mendes could get it if he beats moicano, moicano could if he beats mendes, aldo could if ortega wins, aldo vs ortega if ortega loses, etc etc. theres so many possibilities atm.
Imo Moicano was definitely winning the stand up.

Imo Moicano was definitely winning the stand up.

Yeah but just because the fight has been cancelled two times, if it is by merits then Moicano does deserves one if he beats Chad, but I just think Frankie vs Max is due if Max stays in the division.

I've been overlooking Moicano.

I started rewatching T-City fights though and stopped here. I missed this fight the first time around, buried second on the prelims of a pretty huge ufc 214 card. Ortega was dominated for 13 minutes in striking. Moicano just started opening up with leg kicks in round 3 and looked loose. Then he went for a takedown. And Ortega was looking to sink the guillotine in before they were on the ground and all that was left was locking in the body triangle.

The crazy part is Moicano didn't need a takedown and Ortega's corner was pleading with him to get a takedown.

In the rematch I got Moicano. He was dominant in that fight up until he got caught.

Hopefully we get to see Moicano Aldo or Moicano Edgar in the interim.
Moicano is sick, but that said, Ortega/Moicano with Ortega having the belt, makes little to no sense from a marketing stand point.

They'd be quicker to do Ortega/Holloway II or Ortega/Aldo than that fight.

Unfair, but reality.

Back