The “super shallow” LHW division is about to be pretty deep

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
its no secret the LHW division has recently fallen on hard times with many fighters retiring, leaving the org, or simply aging. Along with jones jones being suspended, and DC moving to HW what was once the premier division of the ufc has become lackluster.

Here’s a couple good reasons why that’s about to change:

Dominick Reyes (10-0): Dominick has looked fantastic in all 4 of his ufc fights, most recently with a dominant win over LHW mainstay OSP, he showcased that he’s not just a prospect, he’s capable of competing at the highest level right now.

dominick-reyes-jared-cannonier-ufc-fight-night-129.jpg

llir Latifi (20-5): Latifi has consistently improved since his debut in the ufc. While he has taken a couple losses, they’ve come by the hands of some of the LHW’s premier fighters, and as he continues to improve Latifi may end up challenging for a belt in the near future.

12988f9317e41ca22a15583f4d1d4176_vice_670.jpg

Thiago Santos (19-6): Thiago simply put is a beast. He had competed at middle weight with a solid amount of success for sometime before recently transitioning to LHW. His premier against Erik Anders showcased he may have a bit more power at LHW and it didn’t sacrifice his cardio. He looked good and in his last 7 fights is 6-1 with his only loss coming from David Branch.

024_Thiago_Santos_vs_Gerald_Meerschaert_III.0.jpg

Jon Jones is returning. After awaiting results of his trial and once again surrounded by a boat load of controversy Jon jones is making his long awaited return. Most fans can’t wait to see him back in action, but more importantly we’re hoping he will stay the course and not let outside the ring distractions pull him away from the sport again.

027_Jon_Jones.0.jpg

Anthony Smith (30-13): Anthony Smith is a huge question mark. He has always had KO power when he fought most of his career at middleweight, but recently moved up to LHW and got two back to back round 1 kos. Some people attribute it to his opposition and their age, but if it’s less to do with that, and more to do with his change in weight along with his already powerful hands, Anthony Smith could cause problems for anyone at LHW.

usa_today_10980284.1532296407.jpg

Khalil Rountree (7-2): Khalil Rountree had a rough start to his UFC career with 2 straight loses, but now he has strung together 3 straight 1st round ko’s including his most recent highlight stoppage against decorates striker Gokhan Saki. If Rountree can show his power will cause problems for fighters towards the top of the rankings, he could be a serious contender.

images

All in all I think the future of the LHW division looks promising, I think all these guys could be top 10 contenders and some of them have the potential to challenge for the title. I say give it a year and this division won’t be so shallow after all.

Last edited:
its no secret the LHW division has recently fallen on hard times with many fighters retiring, leaving the org, or simply aging. Along with jones jones being suspended, and DC moving to HW what was once the premier division of the ufc has become lackluster.

Here’s a couple good reasons why that’s about to change:

Dominick Reyes (10-0): Dominick has looked fantastic in all 4 of his ufc fights, most recently with a dominant win over LHW mainstay OSP, he showcased that he’s not just a prospect, he’s capable of competing at the highest level right now.

dominick-reyes-jared-cannonier-ufc-fight-night-129.jpg

Thiago Santos (19-6): Thiago simply put is a beast. He had competed at middle weight with a solid amount of success for sometime before recently transitioning to LHW. His premier against Erik Anders showcased he may have a bit more power at LHW and it didn’t sacrifice his cardio. He looked good and in his last 7 fights is 6-1 with his only loss coming from David Branch.

024_Thiago_Santos_vs_Gerald_Meerschaert_III.0.jpg

Jon Jones is returning. After awaiting results of his trial and once again surrounded by a boat lid of controversy Jon jones is making his long awaited return. Most fans can’t wait to see him back in action, but more importantly we’re hoping he will stay the course and not let outside the ring distractions pull him away from the sport again.

Anthony Smith (30-13): Anthony Smith is a huge question mark. He has always had KO power when he fought most of his career at middleweight, but recently moved up to LHW and got two back to back round 1 kos. Some people attribute it to his opposition and their age, but if it’s less to do with that, and more to do with his change in weight along with his already powerful hands, Anthony Smith could cause problems for anyone at LHW.

usa_today_10980284.1532296407.jpg

Khalil Rountree (7-2): Khalil Rountree has a rough start to his UFC career with 2 straight loses, but now he has strung together 3 straight 1st round ko’s including his most recent highlight stoppage against decorates striker Gokhan Saki. If Rountree can show his power will cause problems for fighters towards the top of the rankings, he could be a serious contender.

20161126100238_GettyImages626030528.JPG

All in all I think the future of the LHW division looks promising, I think all these guys could be top 10 contenders and some of them have the potential to challenge for the title. I say give it a year and this division won’t be so shallow after all.
the fuck is robert whittaker doing

Aleksandar Rakić and cutelaba

I agree TS. Blachowicz has also been looking fucking awesome. Krylov has some of the worst submission and grappling defense I’ve seen but is still a great prospect that’s always learning.

I still have faith in Cirkunov and OSP even though they are inconsistent. Ilir Latifi has been looking well lately.

Cutelaba is still raw but a scary fucking dude coming off an underrated victory.

Also calling it now - Tyson Pedro is a guy to keep an eye on. He’s improving quickly, and would trash most top 15 LHW’s

I agree TS. Blachowicz has also been looking fucking awesome. Krylov has some of the worst submission and grappling defense I’ve seen but is still a great prospect that’s always learning.

I still have faith in Cirkunov and OSP even though they are inconsistent. Ilir Latifi has been looking well lately.

Cutelaba is still raw but a scary fucking dude coming off an underrated victory.

Also calling it now - Tyson Pedro is a guy to keep an eye on. He’s improving quickly, and would trash most top 15 LHW’s
I haven’t watched his fights. I see he lost to Latifi and OSP. Do you think it was just a matter of too much too soon?

3 of the guys you listed aren't that good tbh

I'm a believer in Dominick Reyes though

Still shallow compared to most divisions to be fair. As is HW. It is always the way.

I haven’t watched his fights. I see he lost to Latifi and OSP. Do you think it was just a matter of too much too soon?
For sure. He just turned 27. All wins by finish. Beat Khalil Rountree his first UFC fight. Had OSP hurt badly right at the very beginning of his last fight before taking him to the ground and getting submitted

He was only 4-0 when he came to the UFC, and only has 9 total fights now. So he’s still relatively inexperienced, but showing a lot of promise

He’s a guy to watch out for, I have no doubt he’ll be top 10 shortly and is going to be better each time we seen him

Jesus! This is more a testemant to how poor it really still is.
two blown up MW, who really aren’t that good even at MW, Roundtree and the only prospect is Reyes.
Fuck awful

Reyes was very impressive against OSP. Santos is kill or be killed.

If that's the best up and coming talent, except for Reyes... it's pretty shallow :(

Stilll looks the same, and with Jones coming back. It's going to make other fighters go back to MW as Jones will beat all of them.

The talent is there, but i doubt the UFC does anything good with all those guys. The booking has been ridiculous in the last years.

[Insert division here] is shallow.

Also UFC is dying.

But ya good fights ahead. Assumimg for once that Gus doesn't get hurt and Jones doesn't piss hot.

The talent is there, but i doubt the UFC does anything good with all those guys. The booking has been ridiculous in the last years.
Well we got Smith vs Oezdemir which is a big one. We also have santos coming up on a big fight as well against jimi manuwa. So that’s two big ones to look for

Back