The most embarrassing loss...

MMA_enthusiast

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Isn't Conor Mcgregor tapping out to Khabib or Diaz or the Ronda headkick of joy, its honestly the mythical Cain Velasquez being dethroned of the heavyweight belt.
hi-res-53615ca6c52672f80ae1fd40de51ea05_crop_north.jpg

For context its 2013, Velasquez in the earlier portion put a huge foot-stomp in the trilogy bout against JDS and absolutely mauled him. He had before probably killed Antonio Silva twice (why the second fight happened i have no idea). The aura and hype was huge and at the time maybe warranted. (Look at DC lmao). Many hardcores and casuals were riding this wagon (i wasn't one of them, I was a JDS guy). Cain Velasquez pretty much set the blueprint of the AKA grappling, high pressure ferocious GnP style that Khabib and DC replicated for their own successes and because of this Cain was considered the heir apparent to Fedor's heavyweight throne. Highlight video is a treat.

giphy.webp

UFC146.jpg

images6.jpg

Fedor was defeated 3 years earlier by Fabricio Werdum in one of the consensus biggest upsets in MMA history. Over time this victory was overlooked but back then this was up there with GSP-Serra upset levels. .

tumblr_mnzyjeQMmP1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Enter UFC 188 Cain Velasquez was a proud Mexican-American individual who honors himself with a chest tattoo of brown pride and enters the octagon with a mexican fiesta based song. Werdum struck a chord on Velasquez claiming he wasn't mexican in that he was born in America and raised in that system. Velasquez hated this. DC even went to Werdum telling him to keep his mouth shut.

maxresdefault.jpg

The fight happened in Mexico city on 13 June 2015. Werdum made preparations to stay in mexico for a couple of months to acclimated himself to the altitude. Velasquez did not and came two weeks later.
The fight played out as it did. Werdum dominated in the standup, Velasquez feared taking him down and doing his style due to the submission game of the GO Horse. After 2 rounds a prime velasquez looked exhausted against a much older 38 yr old Werdum, velasquez attempts a takedown and gets submitted with a bloody face in round 3 losing his title in Mexico, a place he held so dear.
0B6YI66n6SQQNS1MyX1p0Qk9ZUWc

tumblr_npy2mltxaH1u2ragso3_250.gif

25td91d.jpg

vfwlme.jpg

tumblr_npy2mltxaH1u2ragso2_250.gif

vKxSw4V.gif

Werdum essentially respected Mexico more than Velasquez and understood from his bout with Hunt that you need to prepare yourself a long camp there. Cain didn't do this and unfortunately he became a meme we all know as SEA LEVEL CAIN. Werdum schooled Velasquez and forced him into a dog fight where beat him in every dimension. He destroyed the mythical aura Cain had at the time, which i don't think Mcgregor or Ronda ever had.

ynLpZyI.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Cain has only had one fight since the loss and destroyed Travis Browne, however he pulled out of his last scheduled bout at UFC 207 in a rematch against Werdum. Hopefully we see him in the octagon soon and not a WWE training ring

That was a real bad night for Cain and he should have been better prepared but it's Ronda by far imho.

Ronda-Rousey-Purple-Pillow.jpg

Didn’t read.
I disagree.

A decent case can be made for Cain here, GSP Serra, Holm Ronda and Conor Khabib or Conor Nate (although MMA fans knew both of Conor's losses were possible and in the case of Khabib - likely.). Fedor's first loss DID cause shockwaves in terms of the end of the streak but not many were thinking Fedor could simply blast through Werdum and there was at least respect for Werdum's BJJ game and with Fedor looking sketchy in his couple of fights prior.

But yeah, it is up there TS.

Why didn't Cain want to spend enough time to acclimate to his native country? <45>

Isn't Conor Mcgregor tapping out to Khabib or Diaz or the Ronda headkick of joy, its honestly the mythical Cain Velasquez being dethroned of the heavyweight belt.

For context its 2013, Velasquez in the earlier portion put a huge foot-stomp in the trilogy bout against JDS and absolutely mauled him. He had before probably killed Antonio Silva twice (why the second fight happened i have no idea). The aura and hype was huge and at the time maybe warranted. (Look at DC lmao). Many hardcores and casuals were riding this wagon (i wasn't one of them, I was a JDS guy). Cain Velasquez pretty much set the blueprint of the AKA grappling, high pressure ferocious GnP style that Khabib and DC replicated for their own successes and because of this Cain was considered the heir apparent to Fedor's heavyweight throne. Highlight video is a treat.

giphy.webp

UFC146.jpg

images6.jpg

Fedor was defeated 3 years earlier by Fabricio Werdum in one of the consensus biggest upsets in MMA history. Over time this victory was overlooked but back then this was up there with GSP-Serra upset levels. .

Enter UFC 188 Cain Velasquez was a proud Mexican-American individual who honors himself with a chest tattoo of brown pride and enters the octagon with a mexican fiesta based song. Werdum struck a chord on Velasquez claiming he wasn't mexican in that he was born in America and raised in that system. Velasquez hated this. DC even went to Werdum telling him to keep his mouth shut.

maxresdefault.jpg

The fight happened in Mexico city on 13 June 2015. Werdum made preparations to stay in mexico for a couple of months to acclimated himself to the altitude. Velasquez did not and came two weeks later.
The fight played out as it did. Werdum dominated in the standup, Velasquez feared taking him down and doing his style due to the submission game of the GO Horse. After 2 rounds a prime velasquez looked exhausted against a much older 38 yr old Werdum, velasquez attempts a takedown and gets submitted with a bloody face in round 3 losing his title in Mexico, a place he held so dear.

25td91d.jpg

vfwlme.jpg

vKxSw4V.gif

Werdum essentially respected Mexico more than Velasquez and understood from his bout with Hunt that you need to prepare yourself a long camp there. Cain didn't do this and unfortunately he became a meme we all know as SEA LEVEL CAIN. Werdum schooled Velasquez and forced him into a dog fight where beat him in every dimension. He destroyed the mythical aura Cain had at the time, which i don't think Mcgregor or Ronda ever had.

ynLpZyI.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Cain has only had one fight since the loss and destroyed Travis Browne, however he pulled out of his last scheduled bout at UFC 207 in a rematch against Werdum. Hopefully we see him in the octagon soon and not a WWE training ring

giphy.gif

I wonder when Cain will fight again, if ever?

giphy.webp

UFC146.jpg

images6.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

25td91d.jpg

vfwlme.jpg

vKxSw4V.gif

ynLpZyI.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

McGregor had the aura before the Nate fight and Ronda had it before the Holm fight, dont be silly.

I'm thinking DC losing to Jones the second time. I mean, I lost a lot of cash and DC effectively ruled himself out from being the GOAT. He got son'd.

Datsik delivering the bowel releasing KO to Arlovski.

cain always gets my lol when i read "brown pride" ... imho beats easy "no ragrets"
But Ronda beats them all with her loss and reaction

McGregor had the aura before the Nate fight and Ronda had it before the Holm fight, dont be silly.
i disagree, i never believed conor had an unbeatable aura and that he could become a certified GOAT, thats what Cain had at that time, as for Ronda i always felt she was overrated and i was aware of holly holm in her boxing days (huge boxing fan) and her training at Jackson Wink, i honestly picked her, (i remember you picking cejudo the 2nd time against DJ and everyone blasted you then so it does happen)

I can't imagine how CroCop felt after getting brutally KO'd by his own signature move by a virtually unknown Gonzaga. One of the worst IMO.

iu

Back