Why do people downplay Khabib's opponents but praise Ferguson's?

Grapplefest

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From reading this forum you'd think Tony fought the best opponents in ufc history and all Khabib fought was taxi drivers. But the guys they've fought have been super similar.

Tony's beaten Lando, Trujillo, RDA, Tibau, Barboza, Castillo, Thomson, Lee and is said to have "destroyed everyone in the division".

But when Khabib's beaten Healy, Barboza, Trujillo, RDA, Tibau, Johnson (who beat Tony), Iaquinta (who beat Lee) he's said to have only fought bums.

Not saying Khabib has a better resume, but it's definitely close. Yet you'd think Ferguson's resume was a hundred times better from how people talk about it. Can someone explain to me why Tony's opposition gets held in such a higher regard?

Last edited:
Well, Tony's resume is better for sure. Not by much, but still, it's a bit better.

Also, Tony finishes more of these opponents than Khabib does. You're also forgetting that Tony Ferguson is an ultimate fighter winner, and a UFC lightweight champion (beat #7) where as Khabib beat #11.

I think the main reason is, Khabib gets hyped up a whole lot more than Tony Ferguson does. So, when somebody looks at this guy's resume who everybody has been calling a monster and they see that, they kind of question it. He doesn't have the resume of Conor, that's for sure.

Mostly Conor fans trying to convince themselves he won't get murdered

The version of RDA he beat was prime RDA, same as Barboza (both beat prime Barboza), Lee is a better win than every other win on Khabib's win list except RDA, Thompson was on his way out but still a better win than nearly every one of Khabibs wins with the exception of 4(RDA,MJ,Barboza,Al)

They arent the same people doing both. Conor huggers are going to shit on Khabib any way they can.

Tony fans are going to praise him for being tied for the longest streak at LW ever.

I do think Tony has him edged with Lee, because they share the other two elite wins in RDA and Barboza, as well as middle tier wins in Trujillo and Tibau. You are right though, they certainly are comparable.

Most people here look down on "Decisionators" and so they probably praise Ferguson more for being much more of a finisher.

The version of RDA he beat was prime RDA, same as Barboza (both beat prime Barboza), Lee is a better win than every other win on Khabib's win list except RDA, Thompson was on his way out but still a better win than nearly every one of Khabibs wins with the exception of 4(RDA,MJ,Barboza,Al)
Thomson at that time was an equal win to Khabib's Healy win, Healy was a beast and came off of destroying a prime Jim Miller when Khabib beat him.

Also stop with this non prime RDA myth, before the Khabib fight RDA was on a five fight win streak, and after losing to Khabib he went on another five fight win streak... He won the belt less than a year after getting dominated by Khabib for God's sake.

I'm gonna go ahead and say a faded Thomson is better than MJ and probably Al as well.

Not by a mile or anything, MJ has great wins but he also is like 2-5 right now and has a bad overall record.

Context matters.

Ferguson beat RDA and Lee when it really mattered. His strength of schedule is more impressive, and he didn't need to take Barboza to a grinding decision, he put him away.

Ferguson is on one of the best runs in the history of the division. It isn't Khabib's fault, he fought who was in front of him, save for not making weight against his most marquee opponent.

Tony is the most proven lightweight in the world right now.

Pretty even in my eyes. Finishes fights but takes a lot more damage vs decisions fight but takes almost no damage.

Tony has the more high level wins. They share two opponents, RDA and Barboza, the difference is they were more highly ranked when Tony beat them.

Time and context matters. Beating RDA when he was the former champ is more impressive than beating an earlier RDA who was never expected to win the belt or even be a contender. Beating Lee when he is top 10 is more impressive than beating Iaquinta who was not top 10 and once upon a time beat a less experienced Lee.

ignore... wrote this before finishing to read the entire point

My boy Lando worked Tony for a entire fight. Remeber that

Tony has the more high level wins. They share two opponents, RDA and Barboza, the difference is they were more highly ranked when Tony beat them.

Time and context matters. Beating RDA when he was the former champ is more impressive than beating an earlier RDA who was never expected to win the belt or even be a contender. Beating Lee when he is top 10 is more impressive than beating Iaquinta who was not top 10 and once upon a time beat a less experienced Lee.
Again with this RDA myth .. He wasn't expected to be a contender? He was ranked number 5, was on a five win streak, just got off of dominating Donald Cerrone.

After the Khabib fight he went on another five fight win streak. He won the belt less than a year after the Khabib fight.. Are the people repeating this myth really that lazy to go and look up the facts? It's like the MJ "rocking" Khabib myth now.

The difference is that Khabib gets more attention as champ and is involved in a much bigger fight, meaning there is more focus on every detail of his career. If Tony would be LW champ and fight Conor you would see similar threads about Tony's record.

From reading this forum you'd think Tony fought the best opponents in ufc history and all Khabib fought was taxi drivers. But the guys they've fought have been super similar.

Tony's beaten Lando, Trujillo, RDA, Tibau, Barboza, Castillo, Thomson, Lee and is said to have "destroyed everyone in the division".

But when Khabib's beaten Healy, Barboza, Trujillo, RDA, Tibau, Johnson (who beat Tony), Iaquinta (who beat Lee) he's said to have only fought bums.

Not saying Khabib has a better resume, but it's definitely close. Yet you'd think Ferguson's resume was a hundred times better from how people tell about it. Can someone explain to me why Tony's opposition gets held in such a higher regard?
Tony actually finishes fights, finishes top level guys.

Khabib has 3 finishes in 6 years.....sub over MJ (8 sub losses out of 13 losses lol), one over Horcher (survived the whole 1st round with Khabib lol), and then we go years back to thiago.

Fucking pat healy survived 3 rounds against khabib.

To me Ferguson's performances have been more impressive.

Ferguson would kick Khabib's ass.

My boy Lando worked Tony for a entire fight. Remeber that

Tony-Ferguson.gif

Again with this RDA myth .. He wasn't expected to be a contender? He was ranked number 5, was on a five win streak, just got off of dominating Donald Cerrone.

After the Khabib fight he went on another five fight win streak. He won the belt less than a year after the Khabib fight.. Are the people repeating this myth really that lazy to go and look up the facts? It's like the MJ "rocking" Khabib myth now.

Lol so you expected RDA to beat Bendo and then Pettis? I'm pretty sure no one did, let alone dominate them both. He was the underdog in both those fights.

It is the only thing desperate McGregor fans have to cling to.

Back