Is Eddie a bad wrestler?

He's a good wrestler. A few years back he was hated for using the clinch and wresting to grind out a win over Pettis, remember?

Also, he wasn't able to have enough success striking to set up his takedowns against McGregor, and McGregor controls range fairly well.

I think a guy like Khabib who might bullrush a bit more and chain together tons of takedown attempts will succeed in getting McGregor down and negating McGregor's striking until he does.

He's not 'bad' but he's certainly not ELITE either.

1. Eddie got paid good for not taking Conor down
2. Eddie, just like RDA or Gaethje, doesn't have a top wrestling
3. Conor has something up his sleeve

Choose!

Before Conor he was a great wrestler and after Conor he is the worst wrestler in the UFC; besides Conor of course

I mean he waited till he got rocked to even attempt a takedown.

Maybe he would have gotten him down, maybe not.

He did himself no favors.....

Stood for too long trading before going for the obvious game plan. Fishing for take downs tired against Mcgregor is not a good idea, as we found out.

According to fight metrics Eddie has been able to take everyone he has fought in the UFC down except for Cowboy Cerrone and CM

There are different levels of wrestlers in MMA Tito Ortiz level, Ryan Bader level, Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones level. Eddie is around the Tito/ Bader level and Khabib is at the Cormier tier

When someone smacks you without you even seeing it coming, you tend to become tentative. It's not that easy plunging forward after you get hit from every angle possible. Eddie is good, Conor is much better.

He's a good wrestler. A few years back he was hated for using the clinch and wresting to grind out a win over Pettis, remember?

Also, he wasn't able to have enough success striking to set up his takedowns against McGregor, and McGregor controls range fairly well.

I think a guy like Khabib who might bullrush a bit more and chain together tons of takedown attempts will succeed in getting McGregor down and negating McGregor's striking until he does.

I'd say he's a good but not great wrestler but the problem was he came to try and brawl with Conor which is exactly the wrong thing to do against a quality counter fighter with a lot of reach on him.

Eddie is more of a wall n stall guy. Much inferior wrestling compared to Khabib.

He didnt get to use his "illegal" elbows

Eddie has great defensive wrestling, but pretty average offensive wrestling.

Because Conor has highly underrated takedown defense which is compounded by his elite counterstriking ability.

How can you know this if he only had one takedown attempt when he was already half beaten

RDA took Prime Showtime down with ease and beat him with GnP
Eddie couldn’t took washed up Pettis down like RDA, has to use the fence to lay and pray while landing pillow punches
What is the last time Eddie use his wrestling to beat the shit out of somebody?

Back