What advantages does Dustin have against Nate?

Destino2018

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Almost no one is giving him a chance at victory because of Nate being Nate but Poirer is pretty good in his own right. This is a make or break fight for him but I’m having a hard time figuring out how the hell he’s gonna deal with Nate’s in your face pressure fighting.

He has been active and evolving, how Nate will look we dont know but im sure he has been training. I feel like this is a bad matchup for Dustin, Nate got better boxing, better cardio and probably better on the ground. Both dont have power so it will be probably a war lean tords Nate.

Wrestling and striking. I also think he is has pretty decent fight IQ to not go into the deep end with Diaz ground game

This is a dangerous fight for Nate. I expect a brawl and a controversial decision

Lol like Nate is some top 5 fighter. Dude got jabbed in the legs by a guy who isn't even in the UFC anymore. DP constantly evolving his game and has been on a tear since moving up to LW.

imo Diaz is a really tough style match up for Poirier. Poirier is primarily a puncher on the feet and Diaz has top notch boxing skills in MMA. Diaz is the slicker, longer boxer with some good tricks up his sleeve.

The guys that give Diaz the biggest problems standing up are heavy kickers, which Poirier really isn't.

On the ground I think it's even worse for Porier. He has really good ground and pound with good wrestling/grappling, but he isn't an overwhelmingly powerful grappler. Diaz's jiu-jitsu is so slick and tricky that he can give Poirier major problems on the ground as well.

I actually favor Diaz in this bout even with the time off, but I'm definitely not counting out Porier.

Leg kicks

If he's going to win, expect a lot of leg kicks and expect them early

A boxing match or grappling match don't favor Dustin imo

Speed, good power, solid leg kicks, great footwork and precision. I favor Dustin in this fight.

Dustin sets down on his punches and gets more power behind his strikes.

He also has 'some' kicks in his arsenal.

Probably a bit better wrestler, although he forgoes it most of the time to stand & bang.

Crisp boxing, smart dude, strong wrestling. Colby is one of Dustins main training partners and I think Colby is a better fighter rn, then again we don't know whats been going on with Nate. But Colby has insane cardio and strong wrestling, if Dustin can hang with Colby I don't think he'll have a problem with Nate.

oddshark has Poirier as the -180 favorite and rightfully so. Poirer is on a mean streak right now and I don't think many people realize how long Diaz has been in the game. 30+ fights and a 10+ year career will slow anybody down outside a select few. It's a close call but I'd love to see Diaz get the W.

People are acting like Diaz is a godly boxer with unmatched bjj, the guy is good but has been out struck by smart fighters and out grappled by other bjj guys. Poirier may not be as polished as rda with his kicks and top control but I think he can beat Diaz the same way for a safe win, he had success with it against Pettis and Pettis arguably has a more dangerous guard. I also think he can out strike Diaz using speed like Conor and Thomson did.
If Poirier stays smart I think he has the skills to beat Diaz, only place I see an advantage for Diaz is in a brawl.

People are acting like Diaz is a godly boxer with unmatched bjj, the guy is good but has been out struck by smart fighters and out grappled by other bjj guys. Poirier may not be as polished as rda with his kicks and top control but I think he can beat Diaz the same way for a safe win, he had success with it against Pettis and Pettis arguably has a more dangerous guard. I also think he can out strike Diaz using speed like Conor and Thomson did.
If Poirier stays smart I think he has the skills to beat Diaz, only place I see an advantage for Diaz is in a brawl.
This is basically the same way i feel. However Diaz is one of the few MMA fighters who can actually box at a high level. But if porier can make it a kickboxing match he can nullify Nate's hands and get off his own punching combinations. He just needs to set them up with kicks, instead of trying to just use feints and level changes because against Nate that will get your ears boxed off

Crisp boxing, smart dude, strong wrestling. Colby is one of Dustins main training partners and I think Colby is a better fighter rn, then again we don't know whats been going on with Nate. But Colby has insane cardio and strong wrestling, if Dustin can hang with Colby I don't think he'll have a problem with Nate.
Colby doesn't have good boxing like Diaz. Diaz can really be up in Dustin's face with striking. I don't know how smart it would be for DP to grapple with Nate either. I just don't see the comparison for Colby-Diaz though. Diaz looks in shape, if he is in there mentally like he was against MJ-Cowboy, Dustin will probably get tooled.

Nate is 4-4 since 2012

He’s got one good win, and he is slick, but he isn’t a world beater.

I expect Dustin to run through him.

I had to edit my post as I missed one of Nate’s wins from 2012.

Sorry sherbros. I suck

Last edited:
Nate cant check a legkick to save his life. Also his TDD is beyond awful.

Dustin has this one if he fights smart.

I don’t see how Poirer wins that fight. He sure as hell ain’t knocking him out or submitting him. And it’s hard to believe he is going to inflict more damage with Nates volume and pace. I hope he does well I just don’t see his path to victory.

Almost no one is giving him a chance at victory because of Nate being Nate but Poirer is pretty good in his own right. This is a make or break fight for him but I’m having a hard time figuring out how the hell he’s gonna deal with Nate’s in your face pressure fighting.
Easy....leg kicks

I don’t see how Poirer wins that fight. He sure as hell ain’t knocking him out or submitting him. And it’s hard to believe he is going to inflict more damage with Nates volume and pace. I hope he does well I just don’t see his path to victory.
You should avoid betting on fights then for the rest of your life

Back