Opinion...if a fighter pulls out of a fight, should their opponent be granted the option...

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Of being able to accept or turn down the pullled our opponent in their comeback fight...regardless of where they are in the rankings

Lets take some examples

Jimmie Rivera should have the option of facing Dom Cruz when Dom comes back, even though Rivera is ranked lower after his loss to Moraes. Dom should not get to pull out a fight and jump back into a title fight

Volkan/Smith should have the option of face Gus. Once again Gus pulls out and tries to jump back into a fight with either DC or Jones

Romero should have to fight Costa...same thing

Glover should have to fight Manuwa

or Manuwa should have to fight Thiago Santos

I'm just sick of fighters pulling out of fights, then trying to claim they "Deserve" a higher ranked/more favorable matchup in their return

Or if their opponent wants nothing to do with a puller outer, thats fine, but at least give the original opponent the option

Thoughts Dana?

In b4 - no I'm not a f'nnnn gooooof

Yes, for sure. Aldo screwed a few title contenders by pulling out of fights, and they lost in the meantime and thus never got a title shot. His pullout forced them to decide between not getting paid while they wait for him to recover or to risk losing the title shot they had earned by fighting again. It's a shitty decision to be forced make based on another person's unreliability.

By that logic both Conor and Khabib should have to fight Tony Ferguson before each other.

Yes... absolutely.... a lot of guys careers have been derailed do to this. As stayed in other post the guy missing weight should be forced to move up if they have had multiple instances.

Go one better, I think they should be held in breach of contract and forced to fight the guy they signed with at a later date before moving forward in the division.

Too much time can pass and the situation changes. However the guy that pulls out shouldn't fight at a higher ranking when he comes back. Dom-Rivera and Glover-Manuwa still might make sense though.

I agree with the sentiment but I think it would be just impractical to enforce, e.g. if the fighter who pulled out is going to be out for a while, or irrelevant (e.g. for unranked fighters).

Promoters and matchmakers should not reward inactivity, but I don't a strict rule like that is the way to go.

Of being able to accept or turn down the pullled our opponent in their comeback fight...regardless of where they are in the rankings

Lets take some examples

Jimmie Rivera should have the option of facing Dom Cruz when Dom comes back, even though Rivera is ranked lower after his loss to Moraes. Dom should not get to pull out a fight and jump back into a title fight

Volkan/Smith should have the option of face Gus. Once again Gus pulls out and tries to jump back into a fight with either DC or Jones

I'm just sick of fighters pulling out of fights, then trying to claim they "Deserve" a higher ranked/more favorable matchup in their return

Or if their opponent wants nothing to do with a puller outer, thats fine, but at least give the original opponent the option

Thoughts Dana?

I agree, but it highly depends how long the injured fighter will be out.
But yeah, the first fight to be made is the same one they got pulled out of.

Timing has a lot to do with what should be done.

I do think the UFC should always have an alternate bout ready to go for title fights where either fighter in the alternate bout could in theory step in and fight for the title.

Rivera v. Cruz.....Idk, Cruz has been hurt so much it would be hard for me to trust him with a title fight. He could either pull out with another injury weeks before the fight or win the title, then sit out a year plus with an injury.

Gus- he should need a top 5 win before getting a title shot.

Volkan pulled out of his fight with Gustafsson ya hater, not the other way around

they should try and do it that way, but would be hard to strictly enforce. so yeah...what everyone else has pretty much already said o_O

Lets take some examples

Thoughts Dana?

They have this option already lol...

No1 gets in the cage unless both sides sign off on a fight contract...that being said with Dana at the head of everything he can be sour if u pull out and talk shit but you have every legal right to do so..

Back