What is the average "walk-around weight" for the various weight classes?

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I know Anderson fought at 185 and walked around at about 210-212 pounds. GSP said he went into the cage at about 194 pounds. Conor could just barely make 145 and was 168 against Nate Diaz. And Rumble seemed to be most natural at 205 but was 230 against Arlovski.

So perhaps it's around 20-25 pounds over the weight class? Going down as the weight gets lower? Thus your natural weight to walk around weight would probably be something like this?

Light Heavyweight: 225-230
Middleweight: 210-215
Welterweight: 195-200
Lightweight: 170-175
Featherweight: 160-165?
Bantamweight/Lower: ???

What do you think? Too high, too low?

Loled at GSP in the cage at 194. Against Bisping maybe.

Strawweight: 135
QbOe0Se.gif

I think your middlweight and light heavyweight weight ranges are very close to accurate.

Your welterweight one might actually be slightly high; Colby Covington mentioned he only walks around 185 pounds or so, and 195-200 is a very large welterweight indeed.

However, your lightweight one is definitely too low. Some of those guys are 190+ (Khabib, Ferguson) and 180 is far from unusual among the top guys. My own guess would 175-180.

I think that’s a bit low... most 155ers walk around 185 to 2 bills.

T wood walks around 200 to 205.

Anderson Silva has been as heavy as 230 walk around.

Anyway, I think it’s not far fetched for dudes to walk around 50+ lbs heavier tween camps vs weigh in night.

"Georges has been getting better at cutting weight. He’s walking around at 194 (pounds). There was a time when he used to walk around at 180 to make 170. He cuts weight so easily we added more muscle."

https://www.mmamania.com/2011/4/28/...s-st-pierre-could-weigh-as-much-as-193-pounds
Firas said 194 was his walkaround weight at the time, not necessarily his weight in the cage. He said as much as 192-193 but even that's kind of reach.

24 pounds of water in like 24 hours is huge.

That was probably at his biggest. GSP himself said he walked around 185-186 when he used to compete at 170.

"Walk around weight" doesnt really matter since fighters get out of shape outside of camp. I do know that flyweights tend to be around 140 in the cage according to CSAC.

Never understood the fascination with "walk around weight."

In cage weight is the number that matters
With CSAC releasing the second weigh in results a no BS look has nearly everyone rehydrating to 15 or more pounds of the scale number. Shockingly even the women.

What's crazy is when you see guys like the mouse weighing in the same as a guy a weight class above (Cody).

What a fighter gets up to off diet is largely irrelevant unless you have a ballooning problem (Hendricks)

Didn’t Anderson weigh in (short notice) at 195 lbs when he fought DC?

He said 194 was his walkaround weight, not necessarily his weight in the cage. He said as much as 192-193 but even that's kind of reach.

24 pounds of water in like 24 hours is huge.
The article said he walked around at 194 and could weigh as much as 193 in the cage. Off of memory I said "about 194." That's fine.

Depends on the weight class. Usually 10-20 pounds above the limit is pretty common. Sometimes more, but that is starting to happen less and less.

That guy who fought Neil Magny recently cut like 30-40 pounds. Still lost.

Never understood the fascination with "walk around weight."

In cage weight is the number that matters
With CSAC releasing the second weigh in results a no BS look has nearly everyone rehydrating to 15 or more pounds of the scale number. Shockingly even the women.

What's crazy is when you see guys like the mouse weighing in the same as a guy a weight class above (Cody).

What a fighter gets up to off diet is largely irrelevant unless you have a ballooning problem (Hendricks)
I also have posted a lot on basketball boards and people there spend the same amount of time talking about player's real heights without sneakers.

The article said he walked around at 194 and could weigh as much as 193 in the cage. Off of memory I said "about 194." That's fine.
That's kind of bullshit though.

For one fight maybe.. But I give more worth to GSP's word than Firas. That was before the Shields fight and Shields used to be a MW. But 24 pounds of water weight in like 24 hours is barely humanely possible.

Saying GSP fought in the cage at 194 is false

This was before his Bisping fight.

“Right now, when I used to fight at 170, I was always walking around 185, 186. Now, when I wake up in the morning, I’m 198. Almost 200 pounds. I’m much bigger than I was,”

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bjp...s-to-weigh-when-fighting-michael-bisping/amp/

That's kind of bullshit though.

For one fight maybe.. But I give more worth to GSP's word than Firas. That was before the Shields fight and Shield used to be a MW so of course he's going to try and go in bigger.

Saying GSP fought in the cage at 194 is false
So if someone told you "I weigh about 185 pounds," and you weighed them and they were 184, you'd call them a shit-head liar?

The article also says 180, but we're trying to find an average walkaround weight. If they're saying that because it was low for 170, then that's not average. Also Hendricks said he walked around 210, which is obviously way above average, so I went with the higher weight from GSP.

Nothing funnier than Sherdoggers guessing what fighters weigh out of training camp.

Usually depends on whether the poster like the fighter or not.

I know Anderson fought at 185 and walked around at about 210-212 pounds. GSP said he went into the cage at about 194 pounds. Conor could just barely make 145 and was 168 against Nate Diaz. And Rumble seemed to be most natural at 205 but was 230 against Arlovski.

So perhaps it's around 20-25 pounds over the weight class? Going down as the weight gets lower? Thus your natural weight to walk around weight would probably be something like this?

Light Heavyweight: 225-230
Middleweight: 210-215
Welterweight: 195-200
Lightweight: 170-175
Featherweight: 160-165?
Bantamweight/Lower: ???

What do you think? Too high, too low?
I already have a compilation thread on cage weights; see signature.

25 lbs above seems like a fair guess for the dudes.

45 above for dern

Back