U.S. Presidential candidate Andrew Yang been blasting UFC labor practices on social media

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why has prospective U.S. Presidential candidate Andrew Yang been blasting UFC labor practices on social media?

My fav part
“I just found it disgusting, because the reason why it’s supposedly worth $7 billion is because they are underpaying fighters by a factor of four, relative to what they should be paying by any common sense standard,” Yang said. “And also by the standards of other major sports. So Dana White is talking out of both sides of his mouth. He’s like, ‘MMA is going to be the biggest sport in the world, MMA is the biggest thing,’ and then he’s paying people 10, 12 percent of revenues when every other major sport is paying between 47 and 51 percent.

“So, I just got angry about that. That Dana White is such a moron, honestly. Because if you’re going to exploit workers, you might want to keep that valuation under your hat. That to me is fairly common sense.”

Last edited:
Yang told MMA Fighting that he was scrolling through Sherdog a few weeks ago to find out the results from UFC Lincoln

Sherbro confirmed

Hopefully, someday, all fighters make enough to not have to work full time jobs (maybe a side job) not just the upper tier.

It will never be a major sport though (one of the big four in North America - nba, nfl, mlb, nhl) between Dana, Conor and the odd WTF CM punk moments it will never get there IMO.

Hopefully, someday, all fighters make enough to not have to work full time jobs (maybe a side job) not just the upper tier.

It will never be a major sport though (one of the big four in North America - nba, nfl, mlb, nhl) between Dana, Conor and the odd WTF CM punk moments it will never get there IMO.

It was never going to be at that level anyway

When was the last time Dana used that phrase? By now even Dana realizes he can't sell us that nonsense anymore.
It's just human cockfighting again now.

This guy has no idea what he's talking about, Renan Barao made at least 1500 bucks in his last fight..

I never heard of the guy but policy on stricter weight cutting and a 165lbs belt could get my vote.

This is the moron who supported a Universal Basic Income. He determines they are underpaid by "any reasonable standard", meaning his own opinion.

McDonald's is worth 100 billion. How are they paying their fry cooks minimum wage?

McDonald's is worth 100 billion. How are they paying their fry cooks minimum wage?
That's a terrible comparison. In sports the athletes are the product, or at least most of the product (experience can include the arena, etc.). It would not make sense to compare athletes to low skill workers.

I'm not taking a side here, these athletes sign the contracts. I'm just pointing out your comparison is bad.

It will never be biggest sport in the world. Individual grappling is boring, hands only striking has already been proven to be best spectator combat sport. The team wrestling formats like Murkan Football, CFL, and Rugby fill out the rest of the market. No room for MMA.

Like many Democrats (apparently, including those with corporate experience), he seems to believe that companies must and can be saddled with obligations, and will continue working extra hard to profit through those obligations. What actually occurs is the industries either change, leave the US, or fail.

A rising tide floats all the boats. Forcing employee status on the UFC will just result in the UFC losing money, which in turn will lead to a shrunk roster, less events, and more focus on theatrics over fighting. This guy wishes to kill the Golden Goose, and I hope he wins the DNC primary so that my boy Trump can walk to his second term.

Back