How ineffective did Rubber Guard look last night?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Ben Saunder’s guard got sliced through like a hot knife through butter against Sergio Moraes.

All he did was just posture up and took side control.

Rubber guard is a tricky thing. Depending on how deep your opponent is, it can be really controlling or it can be just a stall tactic before they lift and spin out.

Been posts here, I'm sure he'd talk about it.

Gonna watch the fights later, but I do recall Killa B's rubber guard working extremely well against Kenny Roberts (if that was the fat guys name).

Had nothing to do with the effectiveness of the rubber guard and everything with the level of Moraes bjj.

Ben Saunder’s guard got sliced through like a hot knife through butter against Sergio Moraes.

All he did was just posture up and took side control.

Is this a joke?

Moraes is a multiple world champion in jiu-jitsu. Ben Saunders is a average MMA adapted grappler. Rubber guard can be argued when two reasonable peers are competing. Not when the grappling skill level is a mile apart.

I feel sorry for Eddie. He's an amazing grappler who is going to get unnecessary flak for the failure of his technique. Nobody criticizes the Gracies when regular guard fails, but the rubber guard is getting ridiculed because a fighter failed to apply it.

How often does the rubber guard actually look effective in the UFC? I know guys like Aoki have made it work in One and Dream but it’s nothing special in the UFC regardless of what Rogan says.

I cant remember any time in UFC history when someone transitioned from rubber guard to a submission

Jesus H. Christ! Are you fucking kidding me? Saunders is a no talent wannabe who never will be. Needs to hang up his jockstrap or stuff it through your ears so your brain becomes infected and you never try to think again.

Nice alt account.

I remember when assholes like you would be banned for shit talking like that.

Ben Saunders posts on this forum, be respectful.

How often does the rubber guard actually look effective in the UFC? I know guys like Aoki have made it work in One and Dream but it’s nothing special in the UFC regardless of what Rogan says.

To be fair Aoki was an extremely successful one dimensional fighter.

Also Tony uses it.

I cant remember any time in UFC history when someone transitioned from rubber guard to a submission

I'm fairly sure Saunders himself has subbed people from rubber guard. I think his omoplata was set up from rubber guard.

However, it's true that I've never seen rubber guard work against truly elite level bjj... However, it's also true that I've also never really seen someone with truly elite level bjj use rubber guard, so it may not be a fault of rubber guard as a system, as much as it is an issue of general grappling skill of the practitioners.

As per usual, Moraes elite fundamentals broke through all the fancy shit Saunders was trying. "Basic" BJJ pretty much always wins out.

Pressure - Pass - Sub

Classic.

I'm fairly sure Saunders himself has subbed people from rubber guard. I think his omoplata was set up from rubber guard.

However, it's true that I've never seen rubber guard work against truly elite level bjj... However, it's also true that I've also never really seen someone with truly elite level bjj use rubber guard, so it may not be a fault of rubber guard as a system, as much as it is an issue of general grappling skill of the practitioners.

As per usual, Moraes elite fundamentals broke through all the fancy shit Saunders was trying. "Basic" BJJ pretty much always wins out.

Pressure - Pass - Sub

Classic.

I think rubber guard is good for sweeping or subbmittibg newbs from guard, it’s not really for elite level BJJ.

it doesn't seem to effective in mma plus it requires super flexibility

Pressure - Pass - Sub

Classic.
As an intermediate purple belt, I appreciate this

I'm no grappler but that's what I thought I was seeing from 4:17 (timestamped)

Debatable......was it rubber guard or was he securing shin for Triangle.........Im a grappler and I see your point

10th planet system is overrated as a whole. They say it is the most effective system for MMA yet 99% of the top BJJ players in MMA come from more traditional backgrounds.

Back