How good is Mendez at preparing wrestlers for strikers?

Da Killa

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Cormier got head kick KOed by Jones

Cain got KOed in the 1st round by Dos Santos

But then again, Cain got that loss back violently, twice. How else is Mendez track record?

Mendez, AKA striking coach. Isn’t that his name?

Is Brock training w/ Mendez now? Or is this more of a general question about the gyms perfornance as a whole over time in this regards, prepping wrestlers for strikers?

Last edited:
<{fry}>

We gonna act like TS isn't talking about Khabib/Conor?

Watch people compare Conor and JDS and Khabib and Cain now. “Hueeueheue look wat Cain do to JDS brooo same thing will happen to Conor”. Even though these same assholes probably said Cain had no chance against junior in the rematch (and junior had no chance against Cain in the third fight). Champ to champ to champ to champ. Conor > Junior. Cain > Khabib.

Jones is not a striker. He has the same background as DC- that is that they're both wrestlers who strike very well.

AKA has produced the best MMA wrestlers in the game btw- Cain, DC, Fitch, Koscheck, Khabib.

Mendez's camp is particularly well-known for their brand of cage wrestling.

I honestly feel khabib could win this fight focusing only on the weight cut alone. No practise or prep. His grappling is that good. And conor knows it. Conor will be at even more of a disadvantage by being gunshy to the constant takedown threat. Couple that with dogshit cardio after mid round 2 in a striking match. The offense khabib brings will drown conor quick. I could be 100% wrong and conor to win is paying good odds whilst betting on khabib will get little returns if he wins, prove me wrong. Show us you betslips conor people.

Jones is not a striker. He has the same background as DC- that is that they're both wrestlers who strike very well.

AKA has produced the best MMA wrestlers in the game btw- Cain, DC, Fitch, Koscheck, Khabib.

Mendez's camp is particularly well-known for their brand of cage wrestling.

How could you forget Rockhold?

Jones is a better grappler than he is a striker.

DC vs. Nelson
DC vs. Gus
DC vs. rumble I and II

Fitch vs. Daley
Fitch vs. Erick the baby silva
Fitch vs Alves I and II

And much much more ....

IDK mane.

JDS wasn't exactly a scrub striker and Cain is primarily a wrestler.

DC got head-kicked by Jon Jones. Let me repeat this; Jon Jones.

Every single fighter makes mistakes no matter how good they are. But It only takes one bad mistake to get knocked out. Crocop got knocked out by Kevin. Conor Mcgregor got Stockton slapped by Diaz into submission.

In the 2nd fight Jon Jones set this up by throwing low kicks to the body early on and then switched to a high kick while DC thought it was coming in low. Was this a mistake? Nah. He got baited and caught.

I don't know, but Cormier has beat many strikers in MMA, and so has Cain. You can't list only their 1 defeat.

That being said I don't think Khabib has the hands of Cormier, Cormier has really fast hands for a heavy guy, he can get of combo's very fast.

AKA destroy strikers.

Khabib eats strikers for breakfast like just did with Barboza and has already annihilated several southpaw strikers including MJ, Horcher and RDA.

Good luck.

Cormier got head kick KOed by Jones

Cain got KOed in the 1st round by Dos Santos

But then again, Cain got that loss back violently, twice. How else is Mendez track record?

Both of those have destroyed many strikers throughout their careers. It's fair to say that Mendez has a fantastic track record, but he also has some of the world's best talent to work with. It's hard to determine from the outside, but with his reputation and the number of prospects trying to join AKA, he's probably as good as you expect.

Khabib’s coach admits ‘there’s no way possible’ to prep for McGregor’s striking: ‘He’s a master’

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/8/28/17792052/ufc-229-khabib-nurmagomedov-vs-conor-mcgregor-interview-javier-mendez-aka-coach-striking-master-mma
tenor.gif

Back