Can McGregor sap Khabib's gas tank with shots?

MMAMAX

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that Khabib won't have the grapple cardio over 5 rounds if he gets tagged by McGregor multiple times... HARD. Do you see this happening AT ALL? I can see Khabib getting tired in the later rounds if McGregor tags him early.

I can't see body shots being part of the plan like it was with Chad Mendes. Conor will be looking to keep his range and pick his punches.

The only thing Conor can "sap" these days are bottles of whisky and lines of cocaine.

Anybody can sap anybody's gas tank with body shots

I'd love for him to throw those teep kicks to the stomach like he did against Mendes that would be an easy takedown for Khabib

Of course he “can”.

And he also “can” get taken down while attempting it.

That’s why they’re fighting. To find out.

What a peculiar question. Maybe there is a subtlety I’m missing...?

Last edited:
Anybody can sap anybody's gas tank with body shots

I haven't really seen anybody on here explore the possibility of Khabib getting tired, but you're correct.

I'd love for him to throw those teep kicks to the stomach like he did against Mendes that would be an easy takedown for Khabib
A lot of Conor's offense will be mitigated in this fight due to the threat of the TD.

Being TD'ed against Khabib could essentially end the fight so Conor will be tentative.

I can see some shots getting Khabib’s attention and possibly making him tentative. This will cause him to overthink things and maybe get KTFO in the process...

probably

his body work is solid

I think people don't realize conditioning is as much of an issue for khabib as they perceive It to be for Conor

bodyshots are hard to do in mma because u need to get in a range where the opponent has a possibility to go into clinch mode. is not easy to do it against wrestler that can clinch.

probably

his body work is solid

I think people don't realize conditioning is as much of an issue for khabib as they perceive It to be for Conor

Do you think he got tired in the Al fight, brah?

I haven't really seen anybody on here explore the possibility of Khabib getting tired, but you're correct.
Anything you do which isn't common in training can disrupt your cardio. Khabib is so used to dominating in the clinch or from top position. If he's forced to stand, if he's not dominating, if he's taking more strikes than usual, questioning himself, etc.. all of these can hurt his gas tank.

And people underrate the body work Conor did in the mendes fight. Of course people acknowledge it, but I watched that fight yesterday and I was shocked how often and how hard Conor was landing to the body. Completely destroyed his midsection.

It's really hard to fully recover from a good kidney or liver shot.

it absolutely could play out that way.

the first round should be very telling in terms of whether Conor can land anything of consequence and if Khabib is able to close the distance and get the TD.

I don't see there being a big advantage for Khabib if the fight drags out. Sure, Conor MIGHT gas...but Khabib will not be landing the way Nate was landing, so that is a HUGE assumption to make.

I would like to see Khabib try to get him down early and then stray from focusing so much on positional control and instead take more chances to try and finish Conor ASAP.

the longer the fight goes, the more chances Conor has to land a fight-changing bomb, so I hope Khabib more prioritizes a quick finish rather than believing that a 'whole-fight beatdown' (like he put on MJ and Barbosa) is a viable game plan against Conor. I really don't think it is.

If this fight goes past 2 rounds, Conor is fucked. There is no way around it. even a tired Khabib will be able to manhandle Conor and prison rape him.

If you hit them they will wilt

LppM9Ft.gif

Khabib rarely attempts takedowns off kicks. Against Healy he tried and failed. He didn't even try with Barboza. Mcgregor will probably work in teep kicks to the mid section as he settles in. Khabib keeps his right hand glued to his cheek, so he is open to a straight left to the body. I expect more stomp kicks to the front knee to take out Khabib's ability to shoot.

Khabib rarely attempts takedowns off kicks. Against Healy he tried and failed. He didn't even try with Barboza. Mcgregor will probably work in teep kicks to the mid section as he settles in. Khabib keeps his right hand glued to his cheek, so he is open to a straight left to the body. I expect more stomp kicks to the front knee to take out Khabib's ability to shoot.
Khabib used to exclusively use single legs lol Wtf. If he grabs Conor's foot, he's taking him down.

Back