Is Conor still as big a star as he was 2 years ago?

Make Sherdog Great Again

TRUMP is your GOAT
@purple
Reaction score
I don't think so. It just seems to me that the wind has been taken out of his sails as far as his star power is concerned. I'm not saying he now has the drawing ability of Mighty Mouse, but if you think back to how huge he was a few years ago, it seems like he's at about 50% of what he used to be.

Consider that in the last 2 years:

- Hasn't fought in MMA
- Stripped of both belts
- Got walked down and finished in his most watched fight of all time
- Most notable media story being for committing criminal acts

Seems like there's hardly any buzz about his upcoming fight either. I'm sure the PPV numbers will be good, just nowhere near as high as they would be had this fight happened 2 years ago.

Thoughts?

A lot more people know about him just from the Floyd fight, so yes.

I mean the press conference has a couple million views already..I imagine he is still pretty large.

No, he's bigger.

The world hasn't forgotten how he's won fights in three weight classes and championships in two of them, or how he ended the reign of one of the GOAT's in only 13 seconds, or how he hurt Floyd Mayweather with an uppercut in the opening round of a boxing match in Floyd's own sport and nearly had him finished.

giphy.gif

Conor is the most famous person who has ever existed.

Agree with TS. Leading up to the Mayweather fight, Conor had an incredible, legendary buzz. Pretty much as high as an A-level entertainer can get, right at the peak of their career. Your average Joe on the street knew about the Mayweather fight and had an opinion on it. It's very hard to reach that level, and nearly impossible to sustain it. The somewhat anticlimactic Mayweather fight kind of took the winds out of his sails. The year-long absence continued that downtrend of frontpage popularity. I'm sure the fight will still sell well, over a million buys, but he does not have the buzz that he did a little over a year ago.

I'd say he is much bigger. Even NFL QB's are swaggerjacking him now.

The Mayweather fight legitimately went airborne and it was a mainstream phenomenon. Of course Mayweather is a gifted promoter and the circus was marketed as a 'must see spectacle' more than a sporting event.

There is no doubt more humans on planet earth are aware of Conor now compared to the last time he appeared in the Octagon. Substantially more. That should translate into ticket sales (so far so good) and PPV.

Dana calling for 2.5m I don't see it. I live in Manhattan and nobody was talking about this fight today, despite a press conference going on in midtown. It should do great business, but it doesn't 'feel' like its going to be record breaking.

Yeah I would say so. 2.5 million anticipated PPV buys shatters anything we've seen before. He is quite good at building up fights. And negative press is still press---and I haven't seen anything that suggests that the bad press has tarnished his appeal.

Judging by the press conference numbers and hype among fight fans...even haters, I feel this PPV will be the biggest MMA event ever. Two years ago Khabib was just coming back from injury...again and had a win over Horchner prior to his fight with MJ which was on the Alvarez/McGregor card as well.

Now is the better time especially after all the bs that has gone down in the last two years....perfect time for this fight imo.

No, he's bigger.

The world hasn't forgotten how he's won fights in three weight classes and championships in two of them, or how he ended the reign of one of the GOAT's in only 13 seconds, or how he hurt Floyd Mayweather with an uppercut in the opening round of a boxing match in Floyd's own sport and nearly had him finished.
Wow, you're very delusional.

Wins in three different weight class but got finished and lost to a journeyman bloated LW.

Gifted title shots in two different divisions. Never defended neither title.

Hurt Mayweather? Did Mayweather stagger, no. Did Mayweather get dropped, no. Mayweather has been dropped and tagged in other fights. McGregor talked all this shit on what he was gonna do to Mayweather but couldn't do nothing.

Nearly had Mayweather finished? Pfft.

You mean you wish he wasn't as big a star? The UFC is on a low now, so that's why it seems that way...and the press conference had zero fans there so it that may affect the way you see it. Wait until Oct 6

This again going to break records. His little stunt April paid off people are hyped for this fight soon after that.

we will see when the numbers come out for PPV and gate.

numbers don't lie.

Back