DC vs Lesnar made in case Jones doesn't come back?

FacePlantingPro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What if DC vs Lesnar was made on the stipulation that Jon Jones wouldn't be able to fight in 2018?

Now that Jones can fight in 2018, does DC vs Lesnar go out the window?

Jones vs Lesnar is a far better fight and would draw more PPVs.

And both are innocent dopers :D.

I wonder is Jones prefers to fight vs DC or vs Lesnar.
Both options have their allure.

Jones vs Lesnar is a far better fight and would draw more PPVs.

DC and Jones are more or less equivalent draws, but only Cormier can make it a title fight. So he's the one that will make the better PPV numbers against Lesnar.

Jones never wanted to fight Lesnar. He only said that knowing he would not be able to fight for a while. He was just stirring a pot to try and stay relevant.

I want to see cheaters vs cheaters, Jones vs Lesnar.

It is very unlikely Dana will Jon Jones a main event. (What he said was 'never again make Jon Jones a main event') Jones has burned Dana too many times. Main eventers not making cards costs he UFC a LOT of money. Now, DC vs Stipe, with Brock vs Jones as the co-main? That's a million buys, but ...

Why would Brock do it? Right now, he's fighting for the title.
Why would DC do it? Stipe is way more dangerous than Brock.

I think DC-Lesnar stays put, and Jones fights a mid-range top tenner, say Oezdemir or Manuwa.
Then DC vs Gus, Lesnar vs Jones

DC out, still champ at both weights

Stipe vs Volkov/Lewis winner, Gus vs Jones

we will now see if DC has balls to fight JJ at HW or LHW before Lesnar, potentially risking the fight

Jones never wanted to fight Lesnar. He only said that knowing he would not be able to fight for a while. He was just stirring a pot to try and stay relevant.

serveimage

I'm sure DC assumed Jones would be eventually allowed to compete, but that in the timeline prior to his retirement Brock was the biggest money fight out there.

There's also the consideration that DC probably thinks (rightly) he beats Lesnar, whereas he's lost 2x to Jones.

Back