Khabib says Anthony Pettis is ‘bad matchup’ for Tony Ferguson

Bumblebeef

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Khabib wants Ferguson to win but he says Pettis is a bad matchup for him.

“I hope he going to win,” Khabib Nurmagomedov said of Tony Ferguson in a recent interview with Brian Vega. “But my opinion, this fight is stylistically very bad matchup for Tony Ferguson. I don’t know how he feel after he is injured. He is [34] years old. He come back after injury. If he wins, it’s going to be big fight next year. One more biggest fight in UFC history. Let’s go.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/kha...on-will-beat-very-bad-matchup-anthony-pettis/

I feel the same way. But pettis is so hot and cold it's hard to put money on him these days.

I don’t think it’s Pettis that’s the problem but his injury and ring rust

I agree. I’ve been saying the same thing. Pettis has a good chance at pulling the upset here..

Styles make fights..

Interesting. I have heard people say this but Im not sure if I concur. Pettis has beat the guys he should and lost to the guys that are relevant high ran red LW's. Cheese is an absolute scrub and that win does not tell us anything. Tony will have to be seriously rusty to not all this off, as he has the pressure style and toughness to just walk thru the best Pettis has to dish out.

Pettis matches up with Ferg well I think, but Pettis is usually not so good against pressure fighters. However, Tony is less of a takedown threat than RDA or Eddie, so I don't think it will be a huge problem as long as he keeps off the cage.

Don't like pettis against any super tough fighters near the top of the division.

I find this fight a little tricky to predict, simply because Pettis is very up and down his last few fights, plus Tony has that recent bad knee ligament injury and i don't know if that will affect his movement or ground game or what. It's just another variable to throw in there.

All things being "as they are likely to be" then i think this should be a comfortable win for Ferguson.

I unironically agree with him i can see pettis winning via submission or tko. I wouldnt exactly favour him, but I wouldn't count him out. This might be the biggest opportunity he has had since losing to rda. If he wins hes right back in the mix, especially if he can make it an exciting fight.

Ive given this fight hardly any thought because im hoping it was just made, last minute, in the event khabib actually shows.

Pettis will be butchered so brutally it’ll look like the Fargo wood chipper scene.

It's a super dangerous match-up for sure, but I think Tonys pressure and pace will be the difference.

Interesting. I have heard people say this but Im not sure if I concur. Pettis has beat the guys he should and lost to the guys that are relevant high ran red LW's. Cheese is an absolute scrub and that win does not tell us anything. Tony will have to be seriously rusty to not all this off, as he has the pressure style and toughness to just walk thru the best Pettis has to dish out.

Nobody walks through Pettis body kicks. If Pettis gets them off he certainly can win the fight. Pettis is great at finishing guys when he has them hurt. Don't sleep on him.

As a Pettis fan, I completely disagree. I think it's a terrible matchup for Pettis, not Ferg.

I think Tony will push Pettis back to nullify his kicks and make it a dirty fight. I see him forcing Pettis on the defense like he did to RDA.

Pettis’ counter punching/boxing in general while moving backwards is not good enough besides a right hand every now and then.

Tony will get hit and even though he’s shown a good chin, you never know what will happen. He’s also coming back from an injury and he does weird unhealthy workouts all the time.

I think Tony will win this. I can understand why anybody would believe Pettis is going to win, too.

Also, here comes @Mysterio worshipping every word from Khabib’s mouth like usual.

I agree. I’ve been saying the same thing. Pettis has a good chance at pulling the upset here..

Styles make fights..

I said the same thing when i heard about the fight...I may actually put money down on pettis..cause I honestly believe pettis has a very good chance of winning..

The old pettis has died. Ferguson takes it even he's in decline

Pettis looked good in his last fight..and I think he will look even better against tony...tony is not going to overwhelm pettis like holloway did...he's not going to wrestle pettis to death...and I think that pettis is very tough standing...

Back