Back to 3-Round Non-Title Main Events?

Matthew Fedler

Professional Fighter
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Looking at the upcoming cards it seems bizarre to me that Anders vs Santos will be scheduled for 5 rounds, but not Pettis vs Ferguson or Volkov vs Lewis.

I think championship fights should be distinct as the only 5 round bouts personally. Sure we would miss out on the odd Shogun vs Hendo, but we would also skip a couple rounds of JDS vs Ivanov, Maia vs Usman, etc.

Anyone else happy to revert back to the old days?

Looking at the upcoming cards it seems bizarre to me that Anders vs Santos will be scheduled for 5 rounds, but not Pettis vs Ferguson or Volkov vs Lewis.

I think championship fights should be distinct as the only 5 round bouts personally. Sure we would miss out on the odd Shogun vs Hendo, but we would also skip a couple rounds of JDS vs Ivanov, Maia vs Usman, etc.

Mioic vs JDS? Bigfoot vs Hunt? Main events should be 5 rounds because generally top contenders are fighting in them and it’s s good test for them and also gives us a gauge on if they are legit or not. Guess Diaz vs mcgregor 2 should’ve been only 3 rounds right? Why do you care watch it or don’t what’s 10 more minutes of your time

doing-it-wrong-door.gif

I like the idea of all top fighters fighting 5 rounds like Pettis/Ferguson, Rockhold/Weidman, Romero/ Costa, Formiga/Pettis, Diaz/Piorier
Rda vs Colby wasn't main event or interim title worthy but it definitely deserved to be a 5 rounder.

I like the idea of all top fighters fighting 5 rounds like Pettis/Ferguson, Rockhold/Weidman, Romero/ Costa, Formiga/Pettis, Diaz/Piorier
Rda vs Colby wasn't main event or interim title worthy but it definitely deserved to be a 5 rounder.
I like the idea of having objective criteria, but then we either have less stacked cards or potentially very long, drawn out cards.

it wouldn't matter to me if they went back to 3 rounds.

Yeah. I feel like any fight between two top ten guys should be five rounds.

Mioic vs JDS? Bigfoot vs Hunt? Main events should be 5 rounds because generally top contenders are fighting in them and it’s s good test for them and also gives us a gauge on if they are legit or not. Guess Diaz vs mcgregor 2 should’ve been only 3 rounds right? Why do you care watch it or don’t what’s 10 more minutes of your time
Most of the action in Diaz vs McGregor II was in the first 3 rounds anyways.

It’s less about entertainment and more about objective criteria and a clear separation between championship and non-championship fights. It seems like it should be beyond care placement because some mediocre fights headline mediocre events and some great fights are on the undercard for stacked events.

Nope, I'm in favor of more fights being 5 rounds. To think Diaz vs. Dustin might only be a 3 rounder is number 1 bullshit.

I somewhat agree with you. Although I wouldn't mind #1 contender fights being 5 rounds too. Alot of very high level fights almost need 5 rounds to see who's better, whereas 5 rounds for stuff like Munoz/Leben, Anders/Santos with no immediate title implications aren't necessary

They bought 5 rounders in because of all the BS decisions that were happening.

All ppv main card fights should be 5 rounds. If youre spending money on ppvs I don’t know why you would complain about receiving more content.

Keep adding rounds until someone gets finished. leave no doubt, or die. Herb Dean can ref them all too. Be warriors.

I've never been a fan of 5 round fights. The heavyweights gas out and the lighter weight fighters just end up pacing themselves to go the distance. It's pretty rare for a fight to be finished in the 4th or 5th round. Sure, once in a while you get a great 5 round fight, but I think 3 rounds are adequate.

Oh yeah... let's get rid of this stupid boxing-centric 10 point must system while we're at it.

Only top 5 ranked fights should IMO be 5 rounders. When the stakes start getting really high.

Back