Ben Saunders Vs Sergio Moraes

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I just realized these guys will be facing each other this weekend. The fight is buried down in the early prelims though.

Im surprised that these 2 after fighting for so long in the UFC are still being placed this low on the card, but ok... I guess the upper end of cards are nowadays for beasts like CM Punk and more WMMA.
<{outtahere}>

Im curious to see them test each other on the ground. Or will this fight end up being contested on the feet?

Who has better BJJ on paper sherdog?

Saunders will be cut if he loses, and rightfully

Im curious to see them test each other on the ground. Or will this fight end up being contested on the feet?

Who has better BJJ on paper sherdog?

not sure- but i definitely want it to hit the ground to find out for myself.

I'm more surprised that ur surprised. Uve been here for three years now? This has been happening for a while now. The fight pass prelims have a lot of the better fights now that their fox contract is ending.

Also, wtf? Who's bjj is better on paper? Sergio might have won the most bjj competitions/medals in the entire ufc

I'm more surprised that ur surprised. Uve been here for three years now? This has been happening for a while now. The fight pass prelims have a lot of the better fights now that their fox contract is ending.

Also, wtf? Who's bjj is better on paper? Sergio might have won the most bjj competitions/medals in the entire ufc
This is mma, not pure gi BJJ. 12th planet trains a lot of no-gi. So who knows, but you are right about credentials.

Also havent seen sergio use his bjj in ages to be honest. He fell in love with striking as far as i can tell from his latest performances.

Plus, credentials dont fight for you. Jon Jones is a blue belt, yet he submitted legend after legend... so theres that.

would be cool to see them grapple, but Saunders path to victory is probably on the feet. got a 3" height advantage, and just had that nice knee KO of ellenberger this year!

didn't Saunders used to train Jeet Kune Do? still does? just curious

I didn't realize Moraes has already been in the UFC for 6 years. On paper credentials-wise Moraes has the advantage on the ground obviously but realistically it might be closer to a wash. Hard to say. I wouldn't be surprised if it stays standing for the most part but I wouldn't mind seeing a ton of ground work. Hopefully Saunders gets a win.

I think Moraes will have trouble getting Killa B to the ground.

Hopefully the reach adv will help Saunders win the stand up and take this victory to once again defend Sherdog's honor.

@Ben Saunders

This is mma, not pure gi BJJ. 12th planet trains a lot of no-gi. So who knows, but you are right about credentials.

Also havent seen sergio use his bjj in ages to be honest. He fell in love with striking as far as i can tell from his latest performances.

Plus, credentials dont fight for you. Jon Jones is a blue belt, yet he submitted legend after legend... so theres that.

Wasn't Jon a white belt when he was submitting guys like Lyoto Rampage and Vitor?

Haha excellent post.

This is not even a question... Sergio is one of the best grapplers in the ufc, is the goes to the ground. Sergio has the clear advantage.

I’d like to see a grappling heavy fight. Moraes’ BJJ is so slick! Saunders probably has the edge on the feet, his knees are lethal.

I’ll watch!

<This7>

I like both guys. It baffles me that Serginho has such a good UFC record, he's like a comedy character who also happens to be a killer on the mat and is remarkably tough. He also HAS to be gay, surely?! Which adds to his persona, for me!

Saunders' fight to lose but if he ends up on the mat, look out. Saunders, UD, for me.

Big fan of Ben, like his style of fighting. Geat jiu jitsu, and always comes forward on the feet. Hoping he can pull off the victory

I don't know why the UFC doesn't give Saunders a bit more of a push. The guy is entertaining and hard working. He isn't a top 10 guy though.
When he got KO'd by Lima (again) and the UFC brought him over I thought they would try to push his marketability and stick him in competitive fights with up and coming guys. A gatekeeper, for sure, but on a spot where he could shine because people generally enjoy watching Ben.

Maybe that's what would have happened if the WMMA fights weren't taking up so much realestate on the main cards. I don't really understand that strategy -- and this isn't me talking shit about the ladies its just that WMMA is still miles behind the men in terms of talent/technique (on average). Why would any lady fights other than championship fights be on the PPV cards?

But then again all you need to say are two words and all of my argument and reasoning goes out the window; CM Punk.

Back