How much has Conor's developed his grappling / jiu-jitsu skills?

Leopoldos

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I think Conor has been working his grappling and jiu-jitsu with Dillon Danis for 3-4 years now.

He has also been working harder on his wrestling with the Moldavian's for the last 2 years.

Do we have any high level grapplers / jiu-jitsu practitioners that can give their opinion on:

1. How much do you think Conor's grappling / jiu-jitsu has developed in the last 2-3 years?
2. Is it possible it has developed to the point where he can pose a legitimate threat to Khabib on the ground?
3. Besides working on his takedown defence, what specifically do you think he has been working on the most?

Do we have any high level practitioners / coaches on Sherdog with some opinions?

Conor will definitely be a threat to Khabib on the ground since Khabib will be unconcious by that point.

Probably a lot more than Beebz has developed his striking
<DirkMavs>

Even if he magically has the same wrestling as khabib, it's his lack of cardio and heart that will lead to his mauling.

I am interested to see how much the long layoff will affect Conor.

He’s been working with Dillon Danis since preparation for the second Nate fight. We really haven’t seen him on the ground since.

Enough to take Khabib down, submit him and then piss on his face

Conor will definitely be a threat to Khabib on the ground since Khabib will be unconcious by that point.
syj6zDd.jpg

Khabib has pounded better grapplers than Conor will ever be into paste.

A brown belt under the rigorous John Kavanagh has more value and prestige than a black belt in sambo/judo/bjj from uncle Adbullah in one of those Mcdojos in Dagestan. Conor by armbar.

I think Conor has been working his grappling and jiu-jitsu with Dillon Danis for 3-4 years now.

He has also been working harder on his wrestling with the Moldavian's for the last 2 years.

Do we have any high level grapplers / jiu-jitsu practitioners that can give their opinion on:

1. How much do you think Conor's grappling / jiu-jitsu has developed in the last 2-3 years?
2. Is it possible it has developed to the point where he can pose a legitimate threat to Khabib on the ground?
3. Besides working on his takedown defence, what specifically do you think he has been working on the most?

Do we have any high level practitioners / coaches on Sherdog with some opinions?

Khabib vs Danis next. What do you think? Khabib smesh teacher. Khabib smesh student. Allah will break the mystic.

We don't know is the answer.

He brought Danis into the camp for the 2nd Diaz fight. We haven't seen much of his grappling in the two fights since (Diaz 2, Alvarez).

My gut tells me that Danis looks up to McGregor too much - there is an element of hero worship or being starstruck. So he does not give McGregor a tough enough time in training. Just my gut, I could be totally wrong.

It's something Zahabi remarked after Diaz 1. McGregor just had the look of someone who was not put under pressure by his teammates. He is the big star in SBG and nobody there is willing to embarrass him.

Not a coach but a bjj guy who follows the sport closely. I'm nowhere near an athlete on Conor's level and don't train nearly as much. Workes with a carlson black belt for 6 months like 3 times a week since he taught a morning class and it was only like 3 of there, plus every class we'd roll him. My game got good VERY quick, having a black belt with almost 1 on 1 teaching is insane. Now this was a non competition 35 yr old black belt.

Im gonna go ahead and guess someone with Conors ability is going to grow a ton with over 2 years with a no-gi world champ.

Again Im talking bjj, cant really comment on his wrestling training.

So? Danis has never even reached a podium in ADCC or at the black belt Mundials, his credentials are vastly over-rated as an athlete and even worst as a professor.

I am interested to see how much the long layoff will affect Conor.

Yeah, I'm sure he did zero grappling before the Mayweather fight, and little to none for months afterwards, as he was enjoying his huge payday. I could be wrong, but that's my guess. If he's trying to cram in lots of grappling/TDD in a single camp before the fight, that's not a good thing...The best fighters train almost year round, whether fighting or not. The same for the most elite NFL, NBA, etc. athletes.

Rampage is a good example of a gifted, talented fighter who only trains during pre-fight "camps". No wonder he faded into near mediocrity when he was still young enough to be elite. Not that I care...he's one of my least favorite fighters.

Back