Joanna Jedrzejczyk to female flyweights: ‘Don’t be jealous,’ you don’t have my ‘big legacy’

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
For her part, Joanna stated she wouldn’t turn it down if offered to her, and relayed a message to any flyweight upset that she could take precedence over them.

“I’m so sorry, don’t be jealous. There are not so many dedicated fighters like me and not that many with that big legacy,” she said on a recent edition of The Ariel Helwani MMA Show.

“I am always willing to fight and UFC knows this. I was supposed to take a long break, but I don’t know if that will happen now. Like I said, I am always open to move up and fight for the belt against Shevchenko."

Still, Joanna says she hasn’t been offered the fight, but says if it happens it will be in 2018.

“I cannot say yes, I cannot say no...There’s a big chance that this happens...If this fight is going to happen it’s going to happen this year,” she added.

Should Joanna get the title fight and ultimately capture the vacant strap, she fully intends to drop back down to 115 pounds to reclaim the title she lost to Rose Namajunas.

“Of course, I have my dream and I have a job to do,” she stated, while saying she has no hard feelings towards “Thug Rose” despite what many may believe. While a trilogy fight against Namajunas doesn’t make sense at the moment, moving up to 125 pounds seems like a logical step.

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/9/17/...eights-sorry-your-legacy-isnt-big-as-mine-mma

For her part, Joanna stated she wouldn’t turn it down if offered to her, and relayed a message to any flyweight upset that she could take precedence over them.

“I’m so sorry, don’t be jealous. There are not so many dedicated fighters like me and not that many with that big legacy,” she said on a recent edition of The Ariel Helwani MMA Show.

“I am always willing to fight and UFC knows this. I was supposed to take a long break, but I don’t know if that will happen now. Like I said, I am always open to move up and fight for the belt against Shevchenko."

Still, Joanna says she hasn’t been offered the fight, but says if it happens it will be in 2018.

“I cannot say yes, I cannot say no...There’s a big chance that this happens...If this fight is going to happen it’s going to happen this year,” she added.

Should Joanna get the title fight and ultimately capture the vacant strap, she fully intends to drop back down to 115 pounds to reclaim the title she lost to Rose Namajunas.

“Of course, I have my dream and I have a job to do,” she stated, while saying she has no hard feelings towards “Thug Rose” despite what many may believe. While a trilogy fight against Namajunas doesn’t make sense at the moment, moving up to 125 pounds seems like a logical step.

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/9/17/...eights-sorry-your-legacy-isnt-big-as-mine-mma

TBH, I don't see any flyweight female who made her title contender path clear and solid.

Katlyn Chookagian maybe, but then everyone will just say who da fook.

Very happy with herself.
She did defend her title 5 times though, I guess she has a point

A confident female? Sherdog will be rustled.

once this fight is over the division is a wash anyway as nobody else is a threat to either of these girls.

She made Jessica Andrade swing at air, you have to respect her.

Styles make fights and she dominated most styles in WMMA

if you don't respect Joanna as a GOAT of WMMA you're wrong.

It goes

Megumi fuji
Joanna
Ronda
Cyborg

I don't mind it. if there are people that legitimately deserves privileges is actual long reining defending champs like her. especially in a division that is basically brand new

They may not have "big" legacy, but they may have other "big" attributes which she does not.

Looking forward to her tapping to strikes from even harder hitters.

The entire quote isn't quite as bad as the title makes it sound. She has the only name notoriety possible for the title fight with Shev, so she is the only logical choice to fight for the vacant belt. I think she beats most, if not all of the girls in that weight class anyways.

I think the UFC needs to fucking step up their game.
No fucking title shot to anyone unwilling to stay and defend.
Simple as fucking that.

Enough of these greedy fucks who just want the belt and no obligation to defend!
Put it in everyone's contract! Mandatory defenses!
And if they do not, they can't fight on other divisions until they do.

Then they setup a fight for Valentina vs Liz instead.

Pretty cool of Joanna, Val vs JJ would definitely be an exciting fight and we rarely get those in WMMA so I'll take it.

Easily harder than any other fighter Val could face in 125 and it would be interesting to see JJ with less of a weight cut to go through.

Back